Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Permabanned
I have been using my Raspberry Pi to run XBMC since I got it a while back, and I have been very happy with it, quite impressed. But she is about to be made redundant. I have a new TV (huge :D) coming with smart features so won't need the Pi.

So ... what do I get her doing?

Make a surveillance drone or a remote controlled car?

Associate
Have being trying to configure for streaming football via gamepass. The bmc plugin(s) work but it struggles and spends a lot of time buffering. Have tried with raspbmc and openelec which both have problems. It doesn't appear to be the network connection as, when it is running, downloads on my pc have no effect.

The OS's both seem to use high levels of the cpu (90%+) while idle. Have tried some suggestions from the net on disabling rss feeds and some other options but it still struggles.

Anyone running this with medium to high level of quality? Or is this simply a hardware limitation of the poor little beasty?

Associate
I'm trying to get my pi to connect to the internet through my computer but not having any luck. The pi is wired to one of my PCs ethernet ports and the PC is connected to the router via wifi. I've enabled internet connection sharing as detailed here on the wifi connection and changed the settings for the wired connection to obtain an IP automatically but my pi doesn't seem to be able to see the internet. Am I missing something really obvious?

Thanks

Are you using a crossover cable to connect your Pi to your pc - you cant connect two devices directly without one.

Associate
I've just purchased an HP N54L Microserver which I intend to use primarily as a media server, and was thinking of using a couple of PIs as media clients in the living room and the bedroom. I'm wanting to stream HD video and music to the clients.

From what I can make out XBMC seems the way to go on the PI end - and it can be controlled from a remote app e.g. from my android phone or ipad tablet. Which version of XBMC would people recommend?

Also what are the recommendations for the server end? Is XBMC purely a client, or does it have a server component that would run on the N54L? I will be using the server for various things so want it to be as flexible as possible - probably running a Windows Server OS or similar rather than say FreeNAS - so I guess some sort of media server running within Windows?

Any advice appreciated as I'm just starting to plan out how to achieve this setup.

Soldato
Not too sure about streaming HD stuff - locally it works fine, but over the network is iffy, your mileage may vary. I use Raspbmc. I have the XBMC remote on my phone.

I use webmin and ssh to administer the pi from my main computer. I have an FTP server on the pi, so i can dump files onto the 32gb SD card. I had lxde running in the background, behind XBMC, with xfreerdp too, but I found little use for it.

Nate

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
I have an N40l, With all my vids and music on. I then have numerous pi connected to my network using cable and it streams 1080 stuff just fine. It wasnt so brilliant over wifi. I use xbmc and just point that to the shared drives on the server. The server also has a freeview hd and sat hd card in it and i use the nextpvr client to access the tv channels using the pi.

Soldato
Just to chime in I also have an N54L which I use as a media server and stream videos to a pi in my living room. Running UnRAID on the server which is absolutely fantastic (although I do and have used Linux extensively at work I still feel like as far as distros go UnRAID would not be too difficult for someone inexperienced), and I run OpenELEC on the pi which has been flawless since I switched to it from raspbmc where I had several problems.

As others have noted a wired connection is much more stable than a wireless connection when streaming, my pi is connected to the network over a set of power-line adapters which has been fine streaming 1080p. No SQL server although I did consider it at one point, perhaps I may look at it again when I have a 2nd pi

Soldato
There is a lot of CPU overhead required for Samba, so if possible use something else (NFS). If you have to use Samba, then you are best off looking at doing a minor overclock.

Are you using a wired connection or wireless? And what distro?

Raspbmc, wired connection. This is something that has worked fine for ages, but not any more.

It is a network/smb issue though, as the video works fine when connected via USB.

Edit: Issue was my end, had to change some features with the Realtek driver, disabled: 'Interrupt Moderation', 'Large Send Offload', 'Energy Efficient Ethernet' and 'Green Ethernet'. It's now silky smooth over SMB like it was before.

srFDvaH.jpg.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom