48 Port Gigabit Small Business Switch - Thoughts?

Associate
Hi All.

Would anyone be able to recommend a decent 48 port gigabit switch for a small business setup (never likely to need more than 48 ports). I have been looking at the Netgear GS748T but have read mixed reviews. I don't really 'need' it to be a managed switch, but I guess why not if the budget allows? Budget is £250/£300.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Soldato
I've never been a fan of netgear kit for business use, but the two we recently bought have been absolutely fine, zero downtime after 8 months and counting, no bad packets on the logs etc.

Associate
I've never understood people saying netgear switches are no good. I guess its fashionable. We use/used them at many sites and have found them very reliable - I cant recall one ever failing.

Re HP: The 1910v-48g is a great switch. Not impressed with the 1810s though.

Caporegime
To an extent cheap web-managed switches are all the same in terms of performance, so they can only really differentiate themselves in terms of the web UI and the warranty. HPs is passable on the low end stuff, a bit slow but it gets there eventually. The last time I had to deal with a Netgear UI it was very frustrating. I've had to put a couple of claims in under HPs warranty and both times I've had a new switch next day and the pre-paid label to return the old one.

I wouldn't object to trying a Netgear again but I'm happy with HP so don't really see a reason to change.

Back
Top Bottom