Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Last years cheap chinese lamp to have was this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CREE-XM-L...K_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item3a81f73f7d

This year it's this one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-CREE-X...rtGoods_CyclAcces_RL&var=&hash=item5af5a4fa55

I have both and they both work well, the only real negative to these lights is that the battery pack is not water proof so i keep mine in a modified water bottle and also if you happen to buy the second one don't trust the battery indicator. You can find cheaper auctions if you search for "cree bike light" i just linked the first two i found.

I have the second one and was really (pleasantly) surprised about how much light it kicks out...seriously bright. My 'commute' is only about 25min and the battery indicator is on 1/3 by the time I get home from a full charge, but I haven't tested it for any longer to see how accurate the battery indicator is.

edit: my journey home is mostly unlit cycle paths/roads and it does a more than adequate job of lighting them up. I can even see all the pedestrians in their dark clothing and other cyclists with no lights meandering their way across the cyclepath along the busway now, with my old lights they were practically invisible.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm looking for advice from some knowledgeable chaps with regard to buying my first road bike. Well, I couldn't find any so i thought i would ask here instead :).

My company are signed up to the C2W scheme but we can only use our vouchers at Evans. So i have been looking at bikes on their page and am wondering what you fellas might think of this bike.

http://pinnacle-bikes.co.uk/road-and-cyclocross/pinnacle-dolomite-5-2014-road-bike

I ride a fair amount at the moment commuting and also outside of that for exercise. I currently ride a specialized mountain bike which i love but i really want to increase my mileage and feel a good entry level road bike will help me with that.

Soooo on the face of it, do you think the bike i linked is good value for money.

Caporegime
Most Ebay CREE setups are less than ideal for road use, they throw light all over the place and blind oncoming road users.

I bought an extra lens type thing for mine which goes in front of the main lens. It spreads the beam out into a letterbox type shape. It's pretty good. Only cost a couple of quid.

It would have been really useful on my 20 miles jaunt this evening, which took in a few miles of unlit lanes that I've never been on before... Not ideal with just my 3 led Cateye.

Man of Honour
I'm looking for advice from some knowledgeable chaps with regard to buying my first road bike. Well, I couldn't find any so i thought i would ask here instead :).

My company are signed up to the C2W scheme but we can only use our vouchers at Evans. So i have been looking at bikes on their page and am wondering what you fellas might think of this bike.

http://pinnacle-bikes.co.uk/road-and-cyclocross/pinnacle-dolomite-5-2014-road-bike

I ride a fair amount at the moment commuting and also outside of that for exercise. I currently ride a specialized mountain bike which i love but i really want to increase my mileage and feel a good entry level road bike will help me with that.

Soooo on the face of it, do you think the bike i linked is good value for money.

what size ? and did you take the full £1000 ?

Man of Honour
I wouldn't have said there was much to pick between that Pinnacle and that Bianchi, unless the geometry of one or the other really favours him.

just the frame and upgrade ability maybe ? at that price your are buying the frame and group set. Wheels, saddle, tyres etc will probably be all upgraded at some point, so I would go for a better frame and worse wheels etc, but thats me :)

whether the bianchi frame is better though is another question which would need research to find out weight stiffness etc :)

Associate
I'd also suggest a look at both the Scott Speedster 20:
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/scott/speedster-20-compact-2014-road-bike-ec054450

and the Felt Z85:
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/felt/z85-2013-road-bike-ec046333#features

Again, both similar specs for the money - mostly 105 components with a few elements swapped out.

Tbh, all the ones mentioned would be excellent as a first road bike.

The best thing to do is get to a shop and sit on a few - buy the one you like the look/feel of.

Soldato
I bought an extra lens type thing for mine which goes in front of the main lens. It spreads the beam out into a letterbox type shape. It's pretty good. Only cost a couple of quid.

It would have been really useful on my 20 miles jaunt this evening, which took in a few miles of unlit lanes that I've never been on before... Not ideal with just my 3 led Cateye.

Where'd you get that one from?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
My turn this time. I came off last night on a left-hander at full speed. Went over a greasy bit and the bike just went out from underneath me as I turned in. Nothing broken but I’ve got some bad bruising, some missing skin and I’m a bit bashed up. Take it easy out there, the roads are very greasy where you don’t expect it.

Tetanus jab at lunchtime. Joy.

Soldato
Ouch!

It is the season for crashing unfortunately!

Two sessions on the rollers since getting back to Australia for me. Had some lovely weather but not been able to get out time wise, so smashed myself for 40 minutes a go on them.

Soldato
Take it easy out there, the roads are very greasy where you don’t expect it.

I've noticed this, I had too many offs last winter so along with all the recent cyclist deaths and the spate offs on here have me riding fairly conservatively at the moment. Would rather go a bit slower and get home in one piece.

Associate
I'll be on the ground several times on Sunday. Very muddy cx race, there's 0 chance I'm going to stay upright for a full hour. Hopefully it doesn't hurt too much.

Falling over cx racing doesn't really hurt at all as you normally just land on soft mud/grass and the speed doesn't tend to be all that high when you do come off. It's a bit embarrassing though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom