Finding the IP for my wifi router

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Hi,
Hope you more knowledgeable chaps can assist.

I have a Virgin so called "Superhub". Problem was that the wifi connection was dire. As such, I simply connected my old Netgear wifi router on the backend of the Virgin unit.
So my connection is cable to the superhub, ethernet to my PC and also my netgear router. The netgear router deals with all wifi traffic, which is disabled on the superhub to prevent contention.

I now need to login to my Netgear router to update settings, and for the world of me can't manage it.
The usual Netgear recommendations are to simply login to the IP address 192.168.0.1 and I'm sure that used to work. Problem is that the Superhub is clearly using that port, and it only opens the page for configuration of the Superhub.

I've tried looking using network configuration and it's suggesting that the IP might be 192.168.0.233, but nope, can't connect on that either.

I've then tried turning off the superhub, then reboot the netgear, assuming that it would then default to it's standard IP, no joy.

Anyone got some good suggestions?

Soldato
I'd try the following:

1. Disconnect the Netgear from the Superhub.
  2. Perform a factory reset on the Netgear.
  3. Connect a PC to Netgear. Assuming you get a valid IP via DHCP the gateway address will be the management IP you need.
  4. Configure the Netgear so it's management IP doesn't clash with the Superhub (but is in the same subnet). Also disable DHCP.
  5. Connect the Netgear to the Superhub LAN-to-LAN.

Associate
are you able to surf the net via the netgear? If so do the following:

Look at mac address on back of it (take note)

go onto a pc connected via the wifi on netgear and open CMD and ping a network address - 192.168.1.255

This will likely time out.

One it has, type arp -a this will list IP's and MACs - look for the mac of netgear and you will get IP next to it.

Soldato
I don't understand.
Have you put the superhub into modem only mode? I think you should do if you haven't already.

Disconnect your Netgear from the superhub, cable into the netgear and do an ipconfig
May be worth doing a hard reset on the netgear aswell to make sure it doesnt have a weird IP pre-set into it.

Back
Top Bottom