Why?

Soldato
This is absolutely you. Nothing wrong with Apple cables, I've had so many that if there was some fundamental issue with them I'd have managed to do this.

Instead I have a drawer full of old ones that are in perfect nick but I can't find a reason to bin them.

Sorry but this is utter rubbish.

We replace literally over ten times more lightning cables than other Apple cables at work.

They are pure junk. We process so many repairs for these cables it's ridiculous.

And when people say why don't you pull it by the connector, then:

People will not naturally pull it by the connect when the connector is so tiny, completely devoid of grip, and pretty much half disappears inside your phone's case if you have one on

You don't have to do that with anyone else's cables.

The reason these are so bad is that Apple have made a conscious decision to disregard every other aspect of the cable's design, usability and longevity in favour of it being thin.

Absurd.

This is the lightning cable specifically I'm talking about. 30-pin cables are much hardier and have more reasonable amounts of strain relief.

Associate
I have noticed with my new iPhone 5 that the charging/Sync cable is very cheap compared to the one that came with my iPhone 4. And the headphones you get with the new iPhones are like some cheap pound shop crap. I can't even give them away to my daughter because she said they are naff LOL

Associate
I see this an awful lot at work. Yet I have 2 genuine Apple Lightning leads that I've had since week one of the iPhone 5, one by my bed one in my car, both get used daily and show no signs of any wear and tear, even after 14 months.

Like others have said, how do people do it? :confused:

Associate
As others report I have never had any issues with Apple cables. I have a drawer full of old ones that are still in perfect condition. The power connector for my macbook pro is almost 4 years old and still works fine. Are people swinging on them or?

Soldato
Don't pull the wire, pull the connector itself, should be fine then. It's not ideal but at least it won't break then.

My cousin is on her fourth cable, she got her iphone 5 a year after I got mine (I got it on release day) and I've never had a problem. She always pulls the wire whereas I've always pulled the connector.

Soldato
Why would a company well known for bending over its customers improve something they know customers will pay to replace. Its all about the profits.

They replace ludicrous amounts of them for free because they're so crap, both in their own stores and through AASPs.

(bear in mind the cost of that isn't just in the replacement cables but supplying them to their stores and us and the admin that goes with it)

They didn't make it crap for money, they made it crap for aesthetics.

Soldato
As others report I have never had any issues with Apple cables. I have a drawer full of old ones that are still in perfect condition. The power connector for my macbook pro is almost 4 years old and still works fine. Are people swinging on them or?

I have the older sideways connector and after a couple of years of it being bent at near right angles the sleeving does tend to split. Probably explains why they went back to the T-shaped design....

Soldato
If you have Apple care, you'll be able to get a replacement for free. I did. And mine was nowhere as bad as that.

They really need to fix their cables.

I'm sorry but that's not Apple's fault, rather it's just rank carelessness and misuse. I think I can honestly say I've never damaged a cable or product for that matter in my entire life.

4p

4p

Soldato
OP
Would be interested to see how the cables you bought off of the bay are coping.

Brilliant so far mate, they are flat so they don't twist. Keep in mind that I have one at work, one at home so there is no 'travel damage'. It comes up with the 'this charger is no compatible with this device'. Still charges though, silly Apple.

£2 each I think they were. Apple charge what, £25?

Soldato
No apple charge £15 and you can get MFI for under £10 without much trouble although I have occasionally got that nag screen with proper MFI ones.

Soldato
Brilliant so far mate, they are flat so they don't twist. Keep in mind that I have one at work, one at home so there is no 'travel damage'. It comes up with the 'this charger is no compatible with this device'. Still charges though, silly Apple.

£2 each I think they were. Apple charge what, £25?
Cool! Have bought one. Now waiting to see what they're like!

Soldato
The bend in the cable happened to me as well, nothing near as bad as the first pic though. It happened very quickly on one official Apple one, but the second one it hasn't happened to. Must depend on batches I guess? I decided to buy a dozen of the cheap £1 ones from the 'bay quite a while ago. Not built fantastically, but absolutely fine so i have a charger at work and elsewhere when needed. They don't charge an iPad though, but I'll use the official one for that!

Soldato
That's so obviously being pulled at the cable, not the connector. Any cable, you shouldn't be pulling.

How has it become so yellow within that time? Mine looks exactly as it came.

Back
Top Bottom