Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Yeah she probably misunderstood the situation I found a relatively updated link on it. So unless you are doing something stupid while they are there you won't get a fine for not wearing a helmet.

http://www.lbc.co.uk/police-catching-cyclists-who-break-the-law-81518

Yeah, sounds about right.

Though one of the quotes is pretty ridiculous. Admittedly they broke it up to make it sound more unreasonable but...

"If you're going to cycle in London, wear a helmet, wear high-vis, make sure your bike has the right lights, don't wear headphones and obey the rules of the road."

Aside from the last one, none of those are legal requirements (assuming riding in the day) so why is it suggested that any of those reasons were why cyclists were stopped?

I was stopped once by one of the regular crackdowns they have around here after I pulled on to a pavement to lock up. It was reasonable that the guy told me off for not dismounting immediately but when he tried to mention my headphones I just stared at him and he dropped it. If people want to preach on about something then make it a law - don't have some woolly "suggestion" that you then whine at cyclists about when they don't follow it as they don't have to.

/endrant

Last edited:
Soldato
So anyway, it's been 2 weeks on my kinesis T2.

I love it more than ever. I dont see why (other than fit) anyone would buy any other 1k bike for winter usage/commuting.

Soldato
Haven't been able to get on the bike for 6 weeks, went out for a 35 miler yesterday with a friend who also hasnt ridden for 6 weeks. Oh how we struggled! cardio wise i was fine but i just had no power, small ramps which id smashed a few month back seemed like cat 2! although it was interesting to get short little sections where i felt fine and could mash the gears, but 10 secs later it was gone...

Soldato
Yeah she probably misunderstood the situation I found a relatively updated link on it. So unless you are doing something stupid while they are there you won't get a fine for not wearing a helmet.

http://www.lbc.co.uk/police-catching-cyclists-who-break-the-law-81518

Only seen one chick getting stopped.. due to jumping redlight! personally I haven't been stopped which is odd, another thing one of the van drivers I saw got a slap on the wrist for blocking the cycle "box" at the red light and as soon as it changed to green he passed really close to me while beeping.. NICE ONE. :mad::mad:

Associate
http://www.scienceinsport.com/sis-products/

40% off today only & free delivery. I've just run out of the electrolyte stuff so it's good timing!

Tempted to try some if it is on offer/

Are these drinks worth it? Up till now I've just drunk water on a ride, though I have just cooked up some flapjack to take on rides now I am doing 2-3 hours.

The electrolyte drink still has some carbohydrates and combined with flapjacks would be plenty of energy so just considering the electrolyte drink really.

Man of Honour
Hmmmmm. Ultegra CX from PlanetX...

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBPXXLSULT/planet_x_xls_shimano_ultegra_cyclocross_bike

CBPXXLSULT_P1.jpg

Soldato
Guys, need a bit of advice about chain length on my TT bike as I'm replacing it.

It's running a short hanger, and looks fine when it is in the large chainring, but when it is in the small the derailleur is almost bent over.

Should I add a couple or take a couple of links out? Or is this just how it would be with a short hanger?

7e8f5acf-9ee1-43dc-9d84-98eaf3704260_zpsdd68c72a.jpg

Soldato
That's ok, but you could stand to lose a link or two. how does it look in big-big?

edit, just noticed you're not on small-small. That chain is too long.

Last edited:

Bri

Bri

Soldato
Have some road rash pictures.

Hole in elbow (yep, that's right through to the meat):

ap2Mc28.jpg.png

Thought my leg was hurting a bit:

xcTvNpy.jpg.png

Urgh, and it's spreading.

So the nurse at the hospital was surprised that nothing is broken. She was sort of not sure why I was there until I showed her my leg. I've got some special dressings for the elbow and got a tetanus jab because I can't remember having one since a kid.

Also *SCIENCE ATTACK* I worked out that at the speed I was going the crash was roughly equivalent to falling 4 metres and landing on my side. Ouch :D

Nice watch :D

Caporegime
Woo, the mrs is off Christmas shopping with our girls tomorrow morning and the weather looks decent, if a bit cold. I'm going to try to get in at least 40 miles. I'm wary of heading into the hills, where it'll be icy, so it'll be a flat one, but I'll take what I can get at this time of year.

Underboss
Woo, the mrs is off Christmas shopping with our girls tomorrow morning and the weather looks decent, if a bit cold. I'm going to try to get in at least 40 miles. I'm wary of heading into the hills, where it'll be icy, so it'll be a flat one, but I'll take what I can get at this time of year.

ill be off out after work incase it rains sunday...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom