Not sure if serious - Amazon Drones

Soldato
It does seem to me that there are going to be some big obstacles to overcome, but I am sure Amazon is working on them. Drones are absolutely going to take off, not just for delivery, but also for policing and so forth. They were saying on the radio today that ex drone pilots from the military have setup a company for using drones to monitor gas and oil pipelines... their employers might be in for a shock when the pilots begin bombing runs, but otherwise it's a great idea.

Tea Drinker
Don
OP
I see it working for the low rise 'merican towns in the square states but how will it'll get me COD 11 'same stuff different colours' when I live in an apartment on the 26th floor.

Soldato
I see it working for the low rise 'merican towns in the square states but how will it'll get me COD 11 'same stuff different colours' when I live in an apartment on the 26th floor.

It just comes crashing through your window as you're eating your lunch, and deposits the game in your living room before awkwardly taking off again, smashing into various ornaments as it wobbles back and forth before making it back out through the destroyed window on the third attempt. Playing a jingle the entire time.

If you try to stop it to avoid further wreckage, you get tasered into compliance.

Sgarrista
Commissario
I thought it was completely feasable until they said "unmanned".

Though I guess it could work if you put say a printout with a giant qr code on it the drone could see to aim for.

Soldato
It just comes crashing through your window as you're eating your lunch, and deposits the game in your living room before awkwardly taking off again, smashing into various ornaments as it wobbles back and forth before making it back out through the destroyed window on the third attempt. Playing a jingle the entire time.

If you try to stop it to avoid further wreckage, you get tasered into compliance.

Mmmmm lunch.

Permabanned
I already had this idea, my plan was to revolutionise food delivery. I was going to pitch it to someone like justeat or hungryhouse.

You could have a room full of people (probably in india) flying them remotely with go pro streaming video from the quad copters. Could even carry a 3g chip and pin.

Soldato
I've lived in Swindon far too long, my initial thoughts were "Well whats to stop someone launching a brick at it, knocking it down and nicking your parcels"

My next thoughts were "What's to stop me from disabling the robot and reprogramming it for my own ends?"

And third "I wonder if ****** would start nicking them for scrap metal"

I do think it's a cool idea, but it's entirely impractical for the world we live in. Plus, half an hour? If the warehouse is that closeby that a little helicopter thing can fly to me in that time, why don't they just hire some teenagers on pushbikes to do it? Probably just as quick and just as cheap.

Last edited:
Soldato
What happens if it is windy?

Most of the people I know that fly them for a hobby don't fly them in winds over about 10 - 15 mph as they get blown around all over the place.

Back
Top Bottom