Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
no it wont! just cycle through that rain, wind and snow and you'll get fitter.. IMO trainers are overrated :o

Well, yes it will. Trainers absolutely have their place. Just going out and riding in any weather isn't always going to be conducive to good training. Not to mention the fact that a trainer or rollers makes it vastly easier to concentrate on specific areas of your riding. I.e. Spending an hour at 100+ cadence, or sitting for 20mins in sweet spot power, or just spinning your legs over. Those things are a hell of a lot more difficult to do on the road than they are on a trainer.

Soldato
I agree.
Even £200 isnt such a great deal when you consider fulcrum 7s are 1800g and around £100.

thanks for the info gents. Will wait and see what pops up over the winter and stick with the current wheels just now.

Best bang for buck around the £200/£250 wheelset?

Soldato
What do you want from your wheels?

I'd up your budget slightly and get some handbuilts:

H Plus Son Archetypes w/ Shimano 105 hubs for quality all-rounders
Kinlin XR200 w/ Novatec hubs for lightweight nice weather only wheels

I find the difference between what you get for £200ish and £300ish is pretty big, and it's diminishing returns from there upwards.

Last edited:

InQ

InQ

Associate
Off the shelf wise Campag Zonda are £275 from bike-discount.de for Shimano/SRAM fit or similar for Campag fit only from Ribble.
RS81's with free 6800 cassette (worth circa £40-45 if sold on) are £350 at Merlin.

Soldato
Even £200 isnt such a great deal when you consider fulcrum 7s are 1800g and around £100.

thanks for the info gents. Will wait and see what pops up over the winter and stick with the current wheels just now.

having said that, I should point out that obviously weight isnt everything.

I would choose a heavier, deep rim aero wheel over a small, lightweight rim any day. (My race wheels are 1700g and 52mm deep).

The ones you linked dont look particularly aero though and anything which has carbon purely for cosmetic reasons puts me off straight away. I think there would be better choices in that price range.

Associate
Can anyone here recommend any wheel builders? Would like to replace the stock triban wheels in the summer if the funds allow. Been eyeing up fulcrum quattro but either kinlin XR300 or XR380 on novatec hubs sound like they would be worth spending a little bit more to get.

Quite like the look of 35ish mm deep wheelsets

Soldato
Off the shelf wise Campag Zonda are £275 from bike-discount.de for Shimano/SRAM fit or similar for Campag fit only from Ribble.
RS81's with free 6800 cassette (worth circa £40-45 if sold on) are £350 at Merlin.

both look nice wheelsets. I like the Campag Zonda ones.

Thanks for the information people - will see how funds look come Feb/March time for a new set.

InQ

InQ

Associate
Can anyone here recommend any wheel builders? Would like to replace the stock triban wheels in the summer if the funds allow. Been eyeing up fulcrum quattro but either kinlin XR300 or XR380 on novatec hubs sound like they would be worth spending a little bit more to get.

H Son Plus Archtypes are generally recommended as a high quality rim at a good price.
thecycleclinic (Malcolm) from Bikeradar seems to be well respected and knowledgeable:- http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk/Whe...e_wheelset/h_plus_son_archetype_wheelset.html

If i was buying hadnbuilt i'd of probably gone for the Archetype with Miche hubs and Sapim Laser/Race spokes in 24/28.
Although ~1700g you have to remember the hubs are weighty and that is a fixed weight.

Associate

where do you live?

local is mostly cheapest, but i always recommend talbot wheelworks, out of blue door bikes

InQ

InQ

Associate
both look nice wheelsets. I like the Campag Zonda ones.

Thanks for the information people - will see how funds look come Feb/March time for a new set.

a lot depends on how heavy you are.....i'm 70kg so well under most recommended max weights on the off the shelf wheels.

I picked some 10sp Zonda's up 2nd hand from someone on the Bikeradar forum (not got them yet) so they do come up from time to time.
Not bothered i have Campag wheels and Shimano groupset! :p

Soldato

Malcolm at the Cycle Clinic did a set for my OH and they've been excellent thus far.

InQ

InQ

Associate
Although i wouldnt want the shifters that high on the bars.....but anyway that is a cheap, wheelset isnt great but for the price its to be expected. Bargain nonetheless.

Associate
H Son Plus Archtypes are generally recommended as a high quality rim at a good price.
thecycleclinic (Malcolm) from Bikeradar seems to be well respected and knowledgeable:- http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk/Whe...e_wheelset/h_plus_son_archetype_wheelset.html

If i was buying hadnbuilt i'd of probably gone for the Archetype with Miche hubs and Sapim Laser/Race spokes in 24/28.
Although ~1700g you have to remember the hubs are weighty and that is a fixed weight.

Malcolm built me a set of these. Great guy and service plus great value.

Soldato

I bought some Zondas the other week. Wiggle price matched bike-discount.de

Lovely wheels even though I've not ridden them yet. Put them on the summer bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom