*** The official HTC One S thread ***

Soldato
Just realised what I've done/am doing. Forgot to pull the kernel from the ZIP and flash it separately.

But I can't use fastboot.

I'm now off to burn a Linux live cd so I can flash a kernel!

Laughing is allowed :p.

Soldato
3.21; i had loads of bootloops with 3.30.

also i'd stick to twrp 2.3.3.0 - that's the last version you can mount the sd card within recovery.

what kernel are you on atm? if you're on one from oct/spet you will be able to run 3.21 no worries. i tried it with bubba as far back as august and it worked ok (apart from annoying bootloops).

Soldato
Installed Win7 dual boot on my laptop and now have 3.30 and kernel happily running. I'll see how I go on bootloops (seems to be the only issue from reading up, and doesn't seem to affect everyone). If I'm having issues in the next 24 hours then I'll roll back to 3.21.

Soldato
My mum has an S4 one s on EE. She is still stuck on 4.1; has htc released anything higher than that? A quick google implies not.

Are there any ROMS that will bring any useful-for-Mums features to the table?

Last edited:
Soldato
HTC stopped support ages ago, 4.1 was the last update. Dont bother with any ROMs for your mum, it doesn't need anything extra for normal use as most Google stuff is outside the OS.

Soldato
yeah roms are mostly performance/aesthetics; she won't benefit from any.

^ makhaira, apparently some init.d tweaks can help/cause instability, as can using different governors (i found ondemand to be great, tho). also, don't turn on any of the memory tweaks in performance options, apparently they can make it go mental too.

also let me know if you get bootloops when charging - that's when i get all mine

Soldato
Well been on 3.30 for about 12 hours now, and have charged my phone in that time, downloaded a load of apps, etc etc, and all seems rock solid so far! Not using any fancy tweaks or anything though so maybe that's the difference.

Just going through tweaking DPI settings etc at the moment.

Soldato
that's the best feature i've found on custom roms - love having everything tiny :D

i generally find it takes about 2+ days before the bootloops start. depending on how severe they are, you can usually fix it either by powering down the phone completely (go into bootloader & power down) or wiping cache/dalvik. on 3.30, i had to dirty flash the rom again to recover from one, which made me go back to 3.21

Soldato
just remembered something i read on xda a few days ago; apparently if you get regular bootloops (i.e. one every few days) you can delete a folder on the sd card called 'android' (i backed it up to pc just in case anything in there was needed).

since i did that, haven't had a single bootloop on 3.21, and i've gone mad with init.d/performance settings, so worth a try.

Soldato
A day and a half in and I'm loving this ROM - really snappy, seems rock solid in both system and app terms, and the all important global DPI settings keep the screen feeling plenty big enough.

Thought I might try to break it last night by setting 20 different games downloading over wifi to be installed this morning - woke up to find the phone happily sat there with all the files, something even the stock HTC ROM used to fall over on.

Soldato
iirc it's a modified version of bubba. i think since about the 25th of oct, all bubba kernels either have to be flashed s-off OR you download a tool (to use in linux) to convert the zimage into a boot.img file.

as for init.d, i can't say i notice any improvement, i just *want* those settings on :D

Soldato
started to get the dreaded sound cutting out issue :(

it's nothing to do with custom roms etc, as people get it on stock, but apparently it can be fixed using an RUU and re-rooting after.

anyone know which RUU i should be using? mine is HTC_001 cid.

Associate
i think you need RUU_Ville_U_JB_45_S_HTC_Europe_3.16.401.8_Radio_1.11.50.05.28_10.27.50.08L_release_301814_signed_2_4.exe which is on androidRUU.com

Back
Top Bottom