Micro USB 3.1 cable under development

Soldato
FINALLY.

The USB 3.0 variant is butt ugly and has no place on a mobile device. I'm looking forward to some reversible cable goodness - I wonder if Apple will stick to their proprietary cables or follow suit?

Soldato
OP
Hehe - well the current cable looks somewhat half baked with the extra pins bolted on the end and it's too big. The replacement will be the same size as USB 2.0 micro B.

Soldato
FINALLY.

The USB 3.0 variant is butt ugly and has no place on a mobile device. I'm looking forward to some reversible cable goodness - I wonder if Apple will stick to their proprietary cables or follow suit?

Apple will never use a standard cable, they make nice money with their apple tax on all 3rd part accessories.

Soldato
From that link: "Usability enhancements – users will no longer need to be concerned with plug orientation/cable direction, making it easier to plug in "

Indeed... finally.

The current usb port design on mobile phones is physically very weak, I hope they improve on how it's connected to the board.

Man of Honour
H god. Can they just design one with the next 10years in mind, ie a huge amount of available bandwidth unused.
Then stick with it. Can we also kill full fat usb off and can we start getting mice and other items that have micro usb or its replacement.

Oh and i don't see anything about magnetic locking :(

Last edited:
Soldato
I remember reading not too long ago that EU regulations will be forcing mobile phone manufacturers to use a standard interface soon. Regardless of the fact that the Apple connector is far quickly and more robust, they will probably be forced to use USB.

Don't quite me, but I don't think I made that up...

Soldato
The current usb port design on mobile phones is physically very weak, I hope they improve on how it's connected to the board.

It's actually rated quite strongly - 10000 uses+ but i think we all know that this isn't enough. Whenever I see people trying to plug USB cables upside down (the symbol is top people, how difficult can it be? :( ) I think of this

Soldato
I'm glad to hear it, i use my phone as an alarm, plugging it in in the dark is always a nice challenge. I hope its blue on the micro end <3.

Associate
It's actually rated quite strongly - 10000 uses+ but i think we all know that this isn't enough. Whenever I see people trying to plug USB cables upside down (the symbol is top people, how difficult can it be? :( ) I think of this

It's not the simple, a lot of phones have the port upside down.

Soldato
OP
If they don't change their port designs to be compliant then there will be penalties I imagine. The legislation is only in a draft stage but I'm expecting that workarounds such as USB to lightning adapters will be banned too. We'll find out when the vote takes place next March :)

Back
Top Bottom