Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Caporegime
You may be thinking of Peter Collins, who handed his Ferrari over to Fangio in '56 so that Fangio could race on after his own car broke down and take the title. Collins reasoned that he'd get another chance. Sadly, he died part-way through the 1958 season.

He finished second in the drivers championship from 1955-1958, lost by a point in 1958 to Mike Hawthorne. Hawthorne was disqualified in one race apparently unfairly. Moss even though battling him for the title spoke up and helped him get the result re-instated.

I think I've managed to confuse these 2 things together. He didn't give up his car, but he did help get a rival reinstated.

Thanks.

Soldato
Perhaps Moss was missing the some of the modern (german) drivers utter ruthless streak (then again it was 60 years ago, why should we compare him against the modern era?). He drove with honour. Certainly the greatest near-champion in my opinion, should have won at least one champtionship had circumstances not conspired against him.

Who's comparing him to the modern era? Though I wasn't around then, the 60's are my era.

He was a gentleman*, and certainly the best driver never to win the driver's title, but they were his own choices, and while I admire his desire to do it in a British car, I struggle to respect it.

Perhaps if I'd been around then, and the feeling of being British meant more to some coming relatively soon after the war, I'd have felt differently towards him.

* And I say that retrospectively as some of his comments recently have been anything but gentlemanly.

Caporegime
Positive steps. I hope the Mercedes engine gives them a boost too.

Its a shame they are tarnishing all their good work by having Prat Symonds head it all up though :(

Soldato
Should at least open it up to two teams so at least one of them will make it to the grid, or if they both make it they can fight each other at the back of the grid like we currently have.

Caporegime
I wonder if Dave Richards will express an interest only for Bernie to go out of his way to be deliberately difficult? Didn't Bernie say not long ago he wanted to drop a team?

Soldato
It's pretty good, LOTS of McLarens and Williams :p

It's not pretty good, it's awesome. We popped in back in 2005 or 2006, when we went to watch the BTCC and it was snowing outside... just thought of getting out of the cold, but it was much better than we were expecting.

Personally I enjoyed it far more than going to see the likes of Autosport International, as you aren't getting shoved out of the way every 5 seconds. You can just wander around at your own leisure and take in the beauty of some real history.

Back
Top Bottom