Best Programming Language for a new career

Associate
Hi

I have deiced to learn new programming language. I have a lot experience with php and JS.

I am considering preparing for the certification and passing either Java SE 7 or Microsoft C#.

QUESTION:
Which one is nicer to work with? Also which one will give me better job in future?

Isn't it kinda this way, that C# is a full framework, where Java is an old language that requires you to learn additional frameworks and libraries for it? Which would mean that starting from basics would be more time consuming with Java?

Also -C# the amount of developers is not as large as Java ones?

Thank you!

Soldato
Things to consider are:

What field do you want to go into? 'Programming' is very general, a lot of companies focus on specific products. I think the difference between writing a mobile application and a web back-end is going to be bigger than the difference between two programming languages on the same type of application because of design considerations and so on.

I ask that because that should influence your choice. If you wanted to go into mobile development, for instance, then maybe C# isn't a great choice because Windows isn't a very prolific mobile platform so the jobs might not be there (this is speculation, you should research the jobs market for the work you're interested in).

I like C# better but I know Java better. :)

Associate
OP
I'm going to be a bit controversial here and suggest google dart, it would fit in better with your js and php :)

Yeah - even if it is a great language - there is not a single job offer for it on the market just now.

I like C# better but I know Java better.
That sounds like - if you don't know any of those two languages, better focus on C#.

And that is what I am going to do :)

Thank you.

Soldato
Originally Posted by lsg1r
I like C# better but I know Java better.

um.... I never said that...

But yeah you're right in that there aren't (m)any jobs out there for that 'now' but being that it's google I can see it being 'quite popular' in the 'near' future, especially if chrome gets a boost from using it.

AGD

AGD

Soldato
I work in web games and high performance web apps. Dart has no traction right now. Don't waste your time with it.

You don't need 'certifications' to get programming jobs. You need to show you can self-learn. Choose a language you are interested in and put your projects up on a public github repo.

Choose which area you are interested in and look at which languages the top companies in that field use.

Soldato
I ask that because that should influence your choice. If you wanted to go into mobile development, for instance, then maybe C# isn't a great choice because Windows isn't a very prolific mobile platform so the jobs might not be there (this is speculation, you should research the jobs market for the work you're interested in).

Depends if the company they end up working in use Xamarin or similar. If I recall you write the apps in C# and Xamarin produces builds for Windows Phone, iOS and Android.

I would go the C# route but nothing wrong with learning Java

Associate
I wouldn't bother with certification, however it would be worthwhile learning both languages. I work with both and like them equally. You can get an idea on the demand for all programming languages through IT Jobs Watch.

You will be working predominantly with .NET in C#, and most likely Java EE for Java. There are some Java frameworks that will help with your career such as Spring and Struts although they are all very easy to learn.

Caporegime
c++. When I look for jobs that is the only common language that will be widely used and will set you in good stead to learn any higher language. E.g., you can quickly learn a solid c#, Java or Objective C skill set from a foundation of C++.

It all varies by industry as well.
  • Embedded systems: learn C and some assembly.
  • Mobile: Objective C for iphone and java for android, and some solid C is useful to make common client libraries etc.
  • Anything performance orientated, C++, C and even fortran is still very common
  • Games, C++
  • Server backends: mix of C# and Java, but again C++ is still common for performance critical aspects and is actually growing in popularity (CPU time can cost serious money).
  • Standard bussiness tend to go with C# and java
  • eCommerce, you might find anything from python, php, node.js, c#/java.
  • R&D you might be in Python, matlab, octave, R, prolog, C++

Really, a good programmer picks and chooses their language that best suits the task at hand. Languages are just tools, they are skills. Concentrate on the skills and learn different tools as and when needed.

Associate
Really, a good programmer picks and chooses their language that best suits the task at hand. Languages are just tools, they are skills. Concentrate on the skills and learn different tools as and when needed.

This! Seriously, its just syntax any developer worth anything should be able to pick up any language without too much hassle.

If you really want to improve get to grips with learning some methodologies and design patterns these will help you more.

Also how well do you actually know PHP & JS?

But if you must move, then i'd say get digging in to Node.js.

Soldato
Where would be best to start to learn programming?

I'm seriously considering retraining, i currently do alright as an general analyst / IT geek for a procurement department but can't see much progression and TBH don't really enjoy most of the job.

Over the years I've taught myself VBA to a certain degree but it's mainly from finding other peoples code, dissecting it and adapting it for my own purposes.

I know i am missing the basics of learning to program but I do seem to have an aptitude for such things, i can remember learning writing a Basic program on my Acorn Electron as a nipper to help my dad collate and analyse some market research.

Soldato
I do have an idea for a project actually, and i tend to learn best from doing something rather than just going on a course to learn general "stuff".

For example I've never had an Excel lesson in my life but have yet to meet someone IRL who could give me a run for my money in model building due to the things i have researched and taught myself as and when i needed to do so.

For my project I'd need a front end web site where people could register details and such like and then Android, iOS and Windows apps to interface with those details "in the field".

Soldato
syntax is easy. if you are a half decent programmer learn something that is different.

js is interesting if you have understood prototypes properly and can do asynch code with it, if that means nothing to you go and learn js again.

for self development, go learn something random like Lisp or Scala.

for jobs, Python.

Back
Top Bottom