iPad Mini - Is retina a must have?

Associate
Howdy

I've seen that the original mini is around £200 now. Is the retina a real must have - is it worth the extra?

It would be a gift for my girlfriend who has no idea on specs or resolution. Day to day browsing, simple games etc.

The reviews online seem to say the retina blows it out of the water but for what it is at £200 it seems a good deal.

Associate
I recently sold my first gen Mini to upgrade to the Retina. The screen is by no means terrible on the old one, and for general browsing or gaming it is absolutely fine. The retina screen and processor improvements on the new model are certainly nice but there is not a whole lot wrong with the previous model, so I say go for it.

Associate
OP
I recently sold my first gen Mini to upgrade to the Retina. The screen is by no means terrible on the old one, and for general browsing or gaming it is absolutely fine. The retina screen and processor improvements on the new model are certainly nice but there is not a whole lot wrong with the previous model, so I say go for it.

I still have my original Mini, it's still good enough for me.

I don't need another device with a retina display, my retina MacBook Pro is enough (for now I guess) :p

I think you've made my mind up. Thanks for the input.

Associate
Price wise, at the Apple store prices, going for the Mini at £249 over the £319 retina Mini seems silly, as the CPU/screen upgrade is well worth the £70. However, if the OP is getting the Mini for £200 then maybe the difference in spec doesn't justify £120 cost difference.

Caporegime
Price wise, at the Apple store prices, going for the Mini at £249 over the £319 retina Mini seems silly, as the CPU/screen upgrade is well worth the £70. However, if the OP is getting the Mini for £200 then maybe the difference in spec doesn't justify £120 cost difference.

I think it does, the mini retina is not 1 but 2 generations ahead in processing wise, with Apple doubling (and more) each update, it is not twice as fast but 4x faster. So it would last a couple of years longer too with OS updates before it slows to a crawl.

Soldato
Personally I've found 512MB RAM is not enough for iOS 7. This is from both a personal and professional experience from app development. £100 difference between the two generations gets you a lot more on the Retina model.

Soldato
I sold my 1st gen for a retina, I love the mini and the retina screen and extra oomph makes it perfect.

That said I did love the mini anyway (hence the upgrade even though I've got a retina full size) it's just the perfect tablet now IMO.

Back
Top Bottom