Games and time wasting annoyances...

Soldato
Perhaps its just because im older now but i've grown quite tired of all the little ways games use to waste time to artificially lengthen game play, of course id happily spend lots of time doing things i find fun but to me things like grinding/levelling, travelling and sometimes evening dying/checkpoints have gotten quite tiresome when all i want to do is play through the story and get on with it.

I find i play on easy more often but sometimes even thats not enough when you have poor checkpoints and bits you can't skip, i find my patience wears thin and i sometimes give up, to me there's little fun in shooting at hundreds of enemies only to make some mistake and restart over, at the same time i don't want to feel like simply walking through the game or cheating so how do you get around the issue when it comes to time waste while keeping things fun and challenging?

Soldato
Unskipable company logo's! EA is the main culprit here load up Crysis 2 and you have to sit through 3 logo promo's before you get to the menu screen, no amount of pressing Esc will end it and I assume Crysis 3 is the same.

Soldato
OP
Unskipable company logo's! EA is the main culprit here load up Crysis 2 and you have to sit through 3 logo promo's before you get to the menu screen, no amount of pressing Esc will end it and I assume Crysis 3 is the same.

Yeah that's annoying, you should only see it once then it becomes skipable.

Another thing is games that have a lot of game content locked up until you completed certain challenges, it's not so much an issue these days but i remember getting annoyed when i couldn't use everything in time splitters around a friends house, you pay for the game so should be able to access everything if you want without working for it.

Soldato
OP
Don't suck.

Don't bother posting if it adds nothing of value, it doesn't happen often but like i said i have low patience for such things and im not talking about just dying, travelling between missions is another but worst of all is anything that feels like a chore, i paid for the game so i should never feel like im working for something, it must be fun otherwise whats the point?

Man of Honour
I'd rather have an excellent game that's short than have filler crap such as collection tasks through parts you have already completed.

Soldato
Over use of quick time events - I played Battlefield 3 sp campaign earlier this year and the action was broken up by these over elaborate qte's where you press the key when prompted at which point you sit back and the game takes over. The Witcher 2 also has a mild case breaking up th gameplay with qte's but it doesn't ruin the game overall I just hope the developer's see fit to remove this from the next installment. Mass Effect does qte's well.

Soldato
Don't bother posting if it adds nothing of value, it doesn't happen often but like i said i have low patience for such things and im not talking about just dying, travelling between missions is another but worst of all is anything that feels like a chore, i paid for the game so i should never feel like im working for something, it must be fun otherwise whats the point?

It's amusing that you think you can tell people whether they can post or not.

Some people enjoy the aspects in games that you're describing, some people enjoy grinding tasks.

Soldato
Some people enjoy the aspects in games that you're describing

Nothing specifically to do with this comment, but it got me wondering- does anybody, anywhere actually enjoy QTEs in games?...and I don't mean tolerate them. I mean, if you were making a list of things you want to see in a sequel to your favourite game, would QTEs be on anybody's list?

I think the most positive reaction I have ever had regarding QTEs is 'acceptable'

Soldato
I'm with you op.

I haven't got loads of time available for gaming so having to level up in games just feels like I'm being punished even though Ive paid the same amount of cash as a no life basement dweller.

QTE and cut scenes also get on my nerved particularly when they obviously not needed.

Soldato
Nothing specifically to do with this comment, but it got me wondering- does anybody, anywhere actually enjoy QTEs in games?...and I don't mean tolerate them. I mean, if you were making a list of things you want to see in a sequel to your favourite game, would QTEs be on anybody's list?

I think the most positive reaction I have ever had regarding QTEs is 'acceptable'

It depends on what it's used for, most of the time they're used poorly.

Soldato
I've been finding it difficult to get into a game for a long time now. I still play GW2, but have recently got bored of it again.

I have a problem where I think ill install an old game that I enjoyed like Dragon Age or Fallout 2, but I get to a city and think 'I know what going to happen and I don't want to go through it all over again'. I have learnt that most games cannot be played more than once.

I'm loving Starbound, but it still in Alpha and I've done all the testing I can be arsed to. With more quests to pull me through id be in my element.
I'm a bit fed up with 'pre alpha' and the like. Project Zomboid has been in beta for ages, its could be a fantastic game but needs a story to pull me into it. Its been stagnant for ages now.

Two games I'm thinking about now are FTL and Shadowrun. FTL looks a bit boring so its kinda slipped of my list. Shadowrun is a def buy but not till the expansion comes out in 2014.

I hate buying games that I don't complete so I'm very wary of what I buy. I've made a few mistakes, the worse being Bioshock infinite - I hate it, repetitive boring rubbish. I'm also trying to slog my way through Dishonoured, a lot better than most games but still not gripping me.

The only games I'm looking forward to are the Witcher 3 and Walking dead 2.

Someone needs to make a new Unreal game.

Last edited:
Soldato
you pay for the game so should be able to access everything if you want without working for it.
Whixh would defeat the whole point of playing a game :confused:
Every single sandbox game says hi :p

Fair enough if there is a career mode where you start from the bottom and work your way up, but the majority of games really ought to have some sort of a way where you can just unlock everything from the start and go crazy. For example, in whatever number they have reached in forza or gran turismo, there should be a race weekend mode where you can choose whatever car you damn well please, put on whatever upgrades you care for and have a blast against the AI or people in multiplayer. Another example would be the call of duty games where you have to unlock all the weapons by levelling up in the multiplayer. Why shouldn't there be a separate area where I can have whatever gun/armour/perks/whatever from the start?

I understand that unlocking can help you get introduced to a game gradually without being overwhelmed by choices, but there are some people who don't want to sit there for hours to unlock the next thing

*edit*
bushmins, FTL is a fantastic little game, you really should try it.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Another example would be the call of duty games where you have to unlock all the weapons by levelling up in the multiplayer. Why shouldn't there be a separate area where I can have whatever gun/armour/perks/whatever from the start?

I understand that unlocking can help you get introduced to a game gradually without being overwhelmed by choices, but there are some people who don't want to sit there for hours to unlock the next thing

i paid for the game so i should never feel like im working for something, it must be fun otherwise whats the point?

Back
Top Bottom