Airline Reward Schemes

Soldato
OP
I'd be willing to sell mine tbh. I do travel a fair bit for a non-business traveller (went to Singapore and Abu Dhabi last year and going to Dubai next year) but it never seems worth it.

I'm flying to Dubai for £330 return in March and that would have cost me 40,000 Avios + £333.85. Crazy! So would have paid more anyway AND lost 40,000 Avios.

You don't use Avios for eco tickets- only J/F :)

Soldato
But I don't class that as good value. Good value is using points to get things you'd normally buy for free/discounted, not just an unnecessary upgrade on something that's more expensive to start with. I would never normally fly business or first so for me the value is poor (especially as the taxes and fees for a business class seat are more).

Soldato
But I don't class that as good value. Good value is using points to get things you'd normally buy for free/discounted, not just an unnecessary upgrade on something that's more expensive to start with. I would never normally fly business or first so for me the value is poor (especially as the taxes and fees for a business class seat are more).

I agree. Any flight or hotel I can fund from my avios points are available cheaper elsewhere. The European reward flights are hard to find availability for. I tend not to fly internationally so no real opportunity to upgrade.

Not finding much value in them at the moment. I'd happily shop them in for a new TV or something!

Soldato
You only get 0.5p/pt on gift vouchers...

Sorry that's what I meant :). I always use the Nectar website to calculate value easily (http://www.nectar.com/spend.points) but that rounds up and I didn't realise (so it says 1pt = £0.01).

My overall still stands - I bought £110 of HoF vouchers for 20,000 the other week and I've bought 3x £100 Amazon vouchers in the past.

Associate
Horses for courses.

European flights and other flights less than 2-3 hours, I generally go economy, but I find longhaul economy (which happens to be a regular necessary evil for me as my family live in the Far East) a deeply unpleasant experience and greatly enjoy being able to pay only ~30-40% more for Business Class in overall cost terms by using miles, compared to paying for Economy.

And my limited holiday time is too valuable to waste on recovering from longhaul flights.

But I recognise that plenty of people are also quite content with longhaul economy, and to them, I see that vouchers etc may well be more valuable.

Associate
I wouldn't say i'm mad for them but BA silver with the BA amex card and about 120k points. I'm maybe £2k off enough spend to get my companion ticket from amex too.

That's 2 business return for my 2015 cape town kiteboarding trip, so like £6k worth of flights. This year I bought prem economy and upgraded via points too :)

Man of Honour
When I was flying on a regular basis I had the following:

United 1K
American Airlines Executive Platinum
BMI Gold
BA Gold
Continental Platinum (Before the merger)
Delta Gold

Points and miles became an obsession and my life is much nicer now that I don't worry about it any more. Haemorrhoids are no longer a problem, either :p

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
About to tick over to BA Silver. I fly quite a lot in my current role so I've racked up the TPs quite quickly. Slightly annoyingly, company policy is to only fly discounted economy and I pretty much only fly shorthaul so that's 10TP per segment - ouch!

Soldato
I have 140k virgin airmiles...which are pretty useless.

About 100k Avios. I have a companion flight voucher coming soon so hoping to get enough for a first class somewhere and then add the companion.

Finally I have 320k US Airways miles which is enough to go London > Australia first class return...twice :) I bought these miles though as it worked out cheaper than an economy ticket from Australia....

Back
Top Bottom