Automator help

Associate
I'm trying to use automator to perform a simple task but having never used it before I've come here for some help. The task I want to perform is to propagate folder permissions downward on a particular directory every night.

My guess is I need to create a service for files or folders in Finder then Get finder items > Run a shell script

Does this sound right or is there a better way? I also don't know the shell command script I would need to add in the Run Shell Script section.

Thanks

Associate
OP
possibly for a more knowledgable audience try the MacRumors forum

http://forums.macrumors.com

PG

Thanks for the recommendation I've post a question on their forums. I've got a little further so i'll leave the same question here as well just incase some here knows the answer.

I've created an automator workflow to propagate permissions on a directory however i'm having some trouble over writing existing permissions.

This is the script;

Code:
chmod -R +a "<jsmith> allow read,write,delete" "/Users/xxxx/Documents/Permissions Test"

If I check the permissions in finder before I run the above script I see the following;

Name Privilege
<jsmith> Read

Once i've run the script I see;

Name Privilege
<jsmith> Custom
<jsmith> Read

I don't want to add another entry I just want to update the permissions to Read & Write

Any help would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom