Everything has just gone?!

Associate
So I was using my computer fine this morning the upon booting it up today my screen is blank. I'm currently running windows 8 and as soon as I login to my profile my screen is completely black except my mouse I can CTRL ALT DEL and that come up fine then I launched Task manager from it and managed to launch Chrome which im now using now but I can't do anything else?
Any ideas guys?
Thanks in advance,

William

Associate
OP
when i had a black screen with 8.1 it was down to the graphics drivers.
might be worth uninstalling/updating/reinstalling them.

It's only like the desktop and start screen thing that's not their I can see windows but also I know don't have my files or anything just what looks like a minimum. I can't really even get pictures up to show

Associate
Check if explorer.exe is running in task manager. If not, file -> run -> explorer.exe -> enter.

Disclaimer - not on Win 8, so assuming its the same as it was on xp through 7.

Soldato
I've seen this before and it was because the C:\ drive ran out of space. If you have space then add a new administrative user and restart. Logon with that user and, if that works fine, delete the old profile. Unless this is a Windows Live user (i.e. you logon with your @outlook account) you will loose all of your settings. Once the profile has been deleted logon with the old user account and check everythings okay and then remove the administrative user added previously.

M.

Soldato
Associate
First of all have you got a local profile or just your online profile. Windows 8 installs 2 profiles to your system, one that goes to your local desktop and the other profile is stored online in the cloud. Unless you have duplicated your online profile you will be unable to restore it unless you have a current backup of your current system.
From the looks of things it looks as though you have had your profile stolen by some sort of Bot downloaded to your system.
The Malware in question worked a bit like PacMan and has eaten your tasks as the PC was shutdown and restarted.

Associate
I've seen this recently with a family member's Win 7 PC. After a large windows update, the explorer process just continually crashed on start up, even in safe mode.

Thankfully they were using system restore (appreciate this is not an option for you), so rolled back to prior to the updates and installed each one individually.

Back
Top Bottom