MV Brutale Insurance

Soldato
So I tried to get some quotes on the M.V Brutale 675 and 800.

The 675 comes in at just under £600 fully comp but I can't get insured at all on the 800.

Bizarrely I managed to get a quote on the Monster 796 for the same sort of price as the MV 675.

Will I get insured on an MV 800 anywhere? I'm currently on a DAS course so no experience yet. Thought I should add that in..! :)

Soldato
Age?
Second hand or new?
Previous riding experience?

Need more info mate.

Off the top of my head, if you are buying a £9,000 as your first bike and you have just, well not even passed your test, then yea, you will be charged a lot and in some cases, won't be able to get insurance.

Soldato
OP
I'm 39 and will be buying new. I've driven a car for nearly 20 years (I know that counts for nothing but just to provide you with some info). Admittedly the 800 might seem a bit OTT and I may settle for the 675.
Thing is, it's a bit like buying a house - I want to get something which won't seem inadequate after a year or two then sell and buy again.
Would rather invest now and get the bigger bike.

A company called MCE has provided a quote of £525 3rd party on the MV 800. Would rather go fully comp though (and I expect dealer's might demand this? Can they? Regardless it makes sense to go fully comp on a £9k bike.

Soldato
Don't go third party only on such a prestige bike, you want at the minimum TPFT!

Are these quotes as if you have already passed I take it? what sites have you checked so far?

Never heard of dealers demanding to see your insurance for a vehicle you have paid for, not their problem :p

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Dont take this the wrong way, but its foolish to purchase such a expensive bike powerful bike as a first bike.

You are statistically the 2nd largest group to have a accident. The first being young folk on mopeds (but we all know that and its part of the learning curve:p ) Aside from this you will drop it sooner rather than later.

I would advise on something around the 2-3k mark for starters.

Soldato
OP
Fireskull - it is TPFT. Sorry I shortened it to 3rd party. Only checked on comparison sites.
I've not passed yet - this is simply research. I'm mid-DAS.

SPG - I get what you're saying but it's not like I'm going to be commuting on it. It's going to be a weekend bike - and I'll try not to drop it. One of my colleagues did their DAS and bought a KTM right away. And she's never dropped it in 2 years of riding and she commutes in London. Call it luck, maybe. Don't want to tempt fate so I'll leave it there on that subject! :)

Associate
I'd say it'd be better if you were commuting - excluding London! Weekend use, when weather and time etc. permit means less miles under your belt, less experience etc. I think SPG is aligned to this view. The new rider, weekends... well anyway also get fully comp please! :)

Soldato
A company called MCE has provided a quote of £525 3rd party on the MV 800. Would rather go fully comp though (and I expect dealer's might demand this? Can they? Regardless it makes sense to go fully comp on a £9k bike.

MCE often provide good quotes, but they have a reputation for appalling customer service if you ever do need to make a claim.

Personally I think you are mental for shelling out £9k on a first bike, simply because the chances of dropping it (e.g. during low speed maneuvering) at some stage are fairly high

Last edited:
Soldato
Fireskull - it is TPFT. Sorry I shortened it to 3rd party. Only checked on comparison sites.
I've not passed yet - this is simply research. I'm mid-DAS.

SPG - I get what you're saying but it's not like I'm going to be commuting on it. It's going to be a weekend bike - and I'll try not to drop it. One of my colleagues did their DAS and bought a KTM right away. And she's never dropped it in 2 years of riding and she commutes in London. Call it luck, maybe. Don't want to tempt fate so I'll leave it there on that subject! :)

I some ways I agree with you. I hear it all the time on here that it's inevitable that you will drop your first bike but it really isn't. I've dropped one bike in 25 years of riding, and that was about 3 years ago when I got bogged down in a muddy car park. My mate has never dropped a bike and neither has my dad.

Having said that, I still wouldn't buy an expensive bike as a first bike as you don't know what you like yet, and if you hate it and fancy something different in a few months you will lose thousands. I changed bikes every 6 - 12 months for quite a few years and you've got a lot of catching up to do if you're just passing your test at 39!

Soldato
OP
...I changed bikes every 6 - 12 months for quite a few years and you've got a lot of catching up to do if you're just passing your test at 39!
It is late I suppose. There have been several contributing factors to the late start - mainly family concerns (first my mum years ago, then my mrs). It doesn't help my cousin died in a bike accident in his 20's about 10 years ago - think he did DAS then went out and bought a Triumph race bike then hit the side of a car as it pulled onto the road he was travelling on. Straight into the car's side pillar/post iirc - and I think he tore an artery in his neck. But they all seem to have got over it, or just given up trying to persuade me not to do it - not that they really gave me a hard time - I just knew it wouldn't go down well.

Something else is my height. I'm not tall and I used to worry I'd struggle riding a bike, but on my first lesson I got on a 125 and realised I could get both feet flat on the ground - great! :)

I do hear what most are saying re dropping the bike and to buy used first time, and it's something I will consider. I'm just totally wrapped in those MVs!! Hopefully once I've passed some rationale might surface and I'll invest in a used bike.

Soldato
One thing I enjoyed about biking was gradually making my way up through power bands. Started on a 125, then got a 400, then a 600. The first rides on the 400 and 600 I remember feeling like my head was going to snap off, but it only takes a few months for a 400 to feel slow, the 600 never felt particularly slow but I was ready for something bigger until I wrote it off and stopped riding. What I'm saying is, don't write off working up through smaller bikes, you'll learn a lot and get a tonne of pleasure from them too. There's something about smaller bikes (like my 400), where you get to use the whole 100% of the bike on the road rather than the 60-75% you'd get out of something like the MV 800 you're after. I miss my 400 the most I think, because I got to use the whole thing., flat out, pegs down, rear wheel in the air, front wheel in the air, both wheels in the air (once!).

Soldato
OP
Must have been bad if you stopped riding. What happened?
Just been having the same conversation with a colleague who suggested the Duke 400 (she's been riding a 200 for a couple of years but thinks it's too underpowered).

Soldato
125s are tiny compared to normal size bikes, by the sounds of it you're doing a DAS straight from zero experience of biking? I've yet to start (CBT hopefully early next year) but I've done enough research to know that buying a 9k bike as your first ever bike isn't a great idea, let alone an 800cc brute like the MV.

One of my dream bikes is also the brutale 800, have you looked into the practicalities of owning one? Like, where your nearest dealer is (for servicing/spares etc)? It's Italian, so not like owning a Honda.

The way I'll (probably) be doing it is CBT - 125 for 4-6 months (minimum), then full test (33 so I'm unrestricted), then something like a CBF/CB500 for a year, then a sport 600 (CBR600f rather than R6 style), keeping the CB/CBF500 as a winter hack, then after a while replacing the 500 with an MV brutale 800. Then a while after that chopping the sport 600 in for a BMW S1000RR (my other dream bike :D). That's over a good 2-3+ years.

What happens in a years time when you fancy something different, or a second bike? You're not going to go down to a smaller bike, and part of the fun is working your way up each time with a new bike.

If you've not got onto the big bikes on your DAS yet, you might rethink it, a 500/600 will feel very quick to someone with only a day or two's experience on a 125.

Last edited:
Soldato
Also,

Ducati monster 796: 87bhp
MV brutale 675: 108bhp
Brutale 800: 125bhp

That's why you can't get insurance on an 800. New rider + expensive powerful bike = very high risk in the eyes of an insurer.

Soldato
There is a lot of text, and I'm being lazy.

Are you quoting as though you have NO license? Or with a licence? I know your mid DAS, but get a quote as if you have the license.

Associate
Personally I don't think it's a good idea;

New riders are more likely to crash through inexperience (predominantly panicing)
With a faster more powerful bike it's likely to be a bigger accident
As you get older it takes longer to heal
1st years NCB is where you're likely to get your biggest saving, insuring an MV brutale will be very expensive. (I would go so far as saying insuring a 9k bike tpft is a bit silly)

on top of that you're more likely to find it intimidating and it will hamper your learning curve. (I know the throttle goes 2 ways etc), but opening a less powerful bike up is far less likely to spit you off or scare you senseless.

Each to their own, and if you're happy to pay the costs of a bike like that as your 1st, then go for it :)
I would however strongly advise advanced training post test.

As a side note, I wouldn't use MCE. try a quote from Hastings Direct.

Soldato
Must have been bad if you stopped riding. What happened?
Just been having the same conversation with a colleague who suggested the Duke 400 (she's been riding a 200 for a couple of years but thinks it's too underpowered).

Well it was more of a wake-up call than anything else really. I was recently married with a 6 month old baby, commuting 25 miles to and from London in all weathers... After 7 years of biking I felt I was putting myself in unnecessary risk, so for their sake rather than mine I stopped riding. I spent 4 nights in hospital after I came off on diesel braking for a set of lights, smashed up my arm pretty badly, was in plaster for a month and then had about 6 months of physio. I got off very lightly. I desperately want to get back on a bike, and I will when the time is right.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Im back in the car now for a while since my off (cant be arsed to tax the other bike while the salt is on the way) But commuting in the CAR sucks balls big time, mind you i said that on the bike when there was snow on the ground last year :)

Back
Top Bottom