Whats the point of the NHS?

Soldato
At least it's better than the US, wasn't the price to treat a cut finger recently found to be an average of $1000 over there.

Listening to a sc-friday podcast the other week on the state of the american medical system.

Shocking for many reasons, the number one reason for personal bankruptcy, insurance doesn't quite cover all... to speak in many contextes.

And the example they used, a guy knocked off his push bike, few cuts and grazes.... 6 grand.

They were taking legal action over non payment. Like an earlier poster says... reguardless of what we do pay, be glad it ain't that.

Man of Honour
Thank you, still here. Count myself very lucky, that was my 3rd, and they do give you a bit of a kicking..

NHS may have it's problems, but for me they have always given their best.:)

I may be wrong but are you the guy who worked at the UHNS?

Yes i had a Tummy Tuck after losing 8 1/2 stone, i did it because i had loads of excess skin which left me with no self esteem. I didn't have any help losing the weight unlike a lot of people who have tummy tuck and they get them done on the NHS.

Congrats on the weight loss but can I ask how long you waited between the loss and your tummy tuck?
We have another member here who had to wait 2 years for the operation because he had to prove he wouldn't go back to his ways.

Man of Honour
You don't seem to understand the US system, most people don't pay for their health insurance, their employer does.

They pay indirectly - it's part of the 'package' of employment, if healthcare wasn't needed something else would take its place to make the salary package more attractive, be that additional salary or some other form of benefits.

Caporegime
Well just yesterday they allowed me home from hospital following a heart attack at the weekend. I received excellent treatment throughout. And still hear to tell the tale.

If all you have to moan about is paying £8 for a prescription you are blessed.

*hi five* glad you're still with us buddy. Hopefully no more ticker tantrums for you!

Associate
To be honest your private consultant should be taking care of all of this in regards to your TT, you should not be going to the NHS for help after cosmetic surgery (Elective)

Soldato
Well i just checked my NI stamp to date for this tax year and i have paid £2.852.61, so i actually kinda agree with the OP, if they asked me to chip in for dressings i would have said your having a laugh aren't you.

Soldato
Thank you, still here. Count myself very lucky, that was my 3rd, and they do give you a bit of a kicking..

NHS may have it's problems, but for me they have always given their best.:)
My Dad had a heart attack and he actually died in the ambulance and they brought him back, he's now still a mechanic. Couldn't be more impressed with how good they were!

All the best. :)

Soldato
My Dad had a heart attack and he actually died in the ambulance and they brought him back, he's now still a mechanic. Couldn't be more impressed with how good they were!

All the best. :)

Having just spent best part of a week in the coronary care unit seeing how hard the nurses and doctors work to keep folk alive is humbling. Chap one bay down from me was very, very poorly. He arrested several times and they fought minute by minute to get him back. Placed him on a balloon pump to support his heart and used everything in their bag of tricks to save him. They kept at him non-stop all through the night. At the end of her shift the nurse in charge looked exhausted. Chap was sitting up and talking a little by midday.

Last edited:
Soldato
There are different types of insurance. There is a low deductible insurance which is more expensive but you pay very little excess nothings like doctors visits. My wife is exciting and she is on this type of medical insurance - the entire process from initial check ups to birth, to follow ups will cost her around $50 out of pocket.

There are also high deductible health insurance plans that are cheaper like mine. I have in theory $2000 per year deductible, I.e. any medical expenses beyond preventive care and check ups I would pay until the $2000 mark. However, as is typically the case with a high deductible plan my employer pays me $2000 a year into a high deductible health savings account (HSA). HSA contributions are tax free and can be used to cover any excess/deductibles, and any outstanding medical costs, as well as things like contact lens solution, condoms, tooth paste.
The end result is I don't pay a penny and I have thousands of dollars in a savings account I can use for anything vaguely medical. The savings account will belong to me even after I leave the company.

A vast majority of Americans have access to better health care than the NHS for far less personal cost. The real issue, and it is a big one, is the poor and long term unemployed that aren't provided with a company health insurance. Even then, Medicare and Medicaid covers health insurance for elderly, disabled, destitute etc. The issue is those people that earn just enough above the poverty line such that they aren't eligible for state social care but their employer doesn't provide them with insurance.

So the majority of the population then? :p

Man of Honour
Well just yesterday they allowed me home from hospital following a heart attack at the weekend. I received excellent treatment throughout. And still hear to tell the tale.

If all you have to moan about is paying £8 for a prescription you are blessed.

Glad you've bounced back. Hope you recover fully and are able to enjoy Christmas. :)

Permabanned
[RANT]What is the point of the NHS? I had to see a nurse this week because of an infection in my TT (after having to pay privately to have it, that's another rant for another time)

So first visit had to get some antibiotics (£8) don't have a problem paying for medication, then i get a phone call from the doctor "You need different antibiotics" so that's another £8.

So today i have another visit to the nurse to check everything and change the dressing, after a 30min wait i see the nurse and SHE starts moaning about the first nurse not having done a prescription for me to get more dressing, so she makes do with the dressing she has and gives me a prescription to get my own dressing.

WHAT so another £8 for me to bring my own dressing, what's the point of the NHS if we have to pay for everything???[/RANT]

Not looking for an argument here but really £24 for "free" healthcare?

Well. Its free at point of service....and that £8 you paid for antibiotics would probably have cost you £108 if prescriptions charges were not subsidised heavily under the NHS...not to mention the cost for seeing the GP, then another cost for the Nurse, and so on.

Associate
I work for the NHS. What is the point of the NHS? Well when it works, it saves lives and helps people. Unfortunately like a lot of things in the world it just doesn't work as well as it should, depending on a lot of variables such as money, charitable funds, management, additional income through hosted services etc...

It's not perfect but everyone should be grateful that we have something.

Associate
I recently had a tumour removed from my spinal cord. Operation by a consultant neurosurgeon, paracetemol/codeine/liquid morphine whilst in hospital, almost a week's supply of paracetomol/codeine upon discharge, not to mention the care of nurses etc, and I didn't have to pay a penny. (other than my NI :p).

Also getting physiotherapy on top of that.

I think its a great thing and we are lucky to have it. But not every single thing can be free its just not possible.

Associate
I'm glad we have the NHS but that doesn't mean I havn't been confused over the way it works or just plain annoyed with it.

On the whole NHS has kept me patched up over the years for very little cost. I could apply to get prescriptions cheaper (or free?) being a student and having low income. But tbh for £8 here and there I'm just too lazy to fill the form in.

If I had paid to have a TT privately, I would have expected follow up care as part of the cost? no?

Back
Top Bottom