Why should we accept and accommodate people being fat?

Soldato
I would. In fact, and this is a touch controversial, I'd be giving out free heroin to users so they don't have to steal. They can take it in safe 'shooting galleries' and get all the info and help they want but don't have to pay for their drugs. It is very cheap to produce, we buy it from Afghan farmers, they're happy - one up the taleban, then we give it to addicts, one up the dealers. Plus fewer house burglaries etc.

The only qualm is whether we accept it as a lifestyle choice. Which I do. Let evolution sort it out... *hides behind keyboard*
What you're saying is that a human being with an addiction problem should be given a clean and safe environment to hopefully eventually kick their addiction while minimising damage to society? Mad man!
Instead let's blame them for not having a perfect life, nor being born into a wealthy family that can afford to look after them and punish them rather than help them. Should have been born lucky, mug!

Just because you facilitate something (in this case, the consumption of drugs) doesn't mean you condone it.

Associate
I would. In fact, and this is a touch controversial, I'd be giving out free heroin to users so they don't have to steal. They can take it in safe 'shooting galleries' and get all the info and help they want but don't have to pay for their drugs. It is very cheap to produce, we buy it from Afghan farmers, they're happy - one up the taleban, then we give it to addicts, one up the dealers. Plus fewer house burglaries etc.

The only qualm is whether we accept it as a lifestyle choice. Which I do. Let evolution sort it out... *hides behind keyboard*

How are you going to fund these 'shooting galleries'? I assume you'll tax heroin?

If so why don't we tax unhealthy food a bit more to pay for intervening treatments in the same way that you'd do so for drug users? Those that choose these lifestyles should pay for its ill effects so that it is not a financial burden on the general population. At present they are a financial burden. I don't care if people want to be fat, as long as we don't have to pay for bariatric equipment, diabetic treatments, etc from the general population to support their personal choices.

Caporegime
What if, and I understand it's a novel idea, we looked at being overweight as something we didn't have to fix. As if someone's weight, figure, eating habits or lifestyle choices were simply personal matter and did not affect or require countermeasures, judgement or addressing by general public?

Well there are associated healthcare issues with more and more people becoming overweight so I think GPs, the NHS are quite right to point out issues with it. As for individuals choosing to be - well yeah that's personal choice/preference for some, for others it might not be and could simply be a consequence/side effect of their life style and something they might not like, might want to change.

The reality is that we judge others all the time and you can't really change that and just as people chose not to care about their weight others chose to care about it... I don't find fat people attractive in general, I don't see it as a body image to aspire to, I don't they'd be appealing to be seen on magazines, on TV (save for the right context: playing fat characters, doing stand up comedy etc...) - you don't expect the TV weather girl, kids presenter or news anchor to be morbidly obese... it might put you off your breakfast.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Life expectancy and quality of life suffers, we'd have a nation of manically depressed people with very little productivity. I very rarely see morbidly obese people in work, behind the counter, serving you in restaurants or behind a desk. They're always the ones hobbling about the shops, sometimes in electric scooters acting like *****

You might be wrong there. Life expectancy vs obesity line of defence is wobbly at best. In fact, there are a lot of researches suggesting overweight (to a degree) people actually have marginally longer life span. In any case, the obvious answer is - they are adults, it's their life and they knowingly trade life expectancy for living up to their earthly desires. One meatloaf at a time. Not dissimilarly to adrenaline junkie trading his life expectancy for a short rush of blood to the head. One parachute/bungie jump at a time.

Quality of life, this is very much anecdotal too. It's a choice. One person choses life of sport, at the risk of suffering activities related strain and discomfort, injury, possibly wear and tear in later stages of their life. Other person choses life of tastes and culinary pleasures, at the risk of suffering activities related strain and discomfort, injury, possibly wear and tear in later stages of their life. There is nothing more to that. Nothing more than "oh, my way of ageing and eventually dying is better than yours".

As for productivity, I'd be careful there. Obesity does not make person lazy in terms of mental abilities. Majority of office workers in western countries are overweight or obese. Those who work long hours, sitting, the more they work, the less time they have to maintain calorie burning activities, the fatter they get. They wake up from lying down, they jump into their cars to sit a little on their way to some more sitting on a train. They take a seat on tube, to do 8-12 hour sitting session in the depths of their office Aeron. They follow this routine in reverse to reach homes at 8 or 9 pm, sit some more with their family in front of Simon Cowell's latest TV malarky, then retire to their beds after hard working day. Armchair workoholic does not equal couch potato.

What about if we applied the same logic to smokers, alcoholics and drug addicts?

First of all. What if we actually did? What if we stopped being judgemental sons of female dogs and just let others live life they want?

Smokers is a fine example. Britain by any western standards is a country of high functioning alcoholics with substance abuse issues. A country that has statically very long working hours, very little "life", incredibly high consumption but very scarce uptake of any hobbies, even compared to other workoholic countries like Germany.

And yet we somehow managed to arrange a situation where one group of substance abusers demanded blanket ban of other substance abusers from public places dedicated specifically to addictions, just so they could pickle their livers and survive another adrenaline rush induced by watching 22 grown up man angrily chasing piece of pig skin across grass field on TV, because they managed to convince themselves all of the above was somehow better for their health without their clothing being exposed to byproducts of nicotine addition. I found it absolutely bizarre and I don't even smoke.

Second of all. You are still presuming lifestyle choice, such as overeating or moving less, is equal to addition. That it is something bad, something that needs fixing, something that "they" have to be rescued from. Just because YOU don't like it.

This obsession with others not living lives we would agree with or approve, that last century "It's bleh, I don't want it around me"-izm - perhaps that is the true disease, the anchor of our society.

Once you come to terms with the above and understand that each life is a journey of an individual, rather than some sort of soap opera background to enrich enjoyment of your life, you will quickly arrive at the conclusion that beside simply not being any of your business and not requiring your input at all, being anti-fat is just a prejudice. And a prejudice as bad as any other.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like prejudice against race or sexual inclination. Being fat is not something you are born with, although there is a strong gene element to it. It's more of cultural or social prejudice - like being against religious faith or xenophobia.

From now on, in this rant I'll be using "You" as a royal/in general "You", not "You" as in "poster I'm replying to -You".

And just like if you are one of those people who just cannot help but despise foreigners - you look at "the others", the "aliens", the "outlanders", they are human like you, their language contains syllables, words and sentences, just like yours, there is undeniable biological familiarity as a species, but some people just can't help but dislike everything about them. And you'd like to think it's the clothes, their posture, the tone or tembre of their voices, but it's not. It's you. The disease is you.

The presumption that you are better and they are worse. The inexplicable entitlement that makes you think they come to "take" something that is "yours". The unspoken dictate that should allow you and yours to live, travel, exist in any geographical, cultural and social space, if not greeted as master and commander, but they should stop at the gates and turn around, because it is "yours", "belongs to you". It's all in you.

And looking at someone overweight and instantly presuming they are somehow affected, out of norm, in need of rescue, help, if not outright disabled, is the same diseased state of mind. It's just like any other prejudice. It doesn't please YOU. It's unsightly to YOU. YOU don't like it. YOU don't want them to be around YOU. YOU feel it needs to be stopped. How dare they not be like YOU, not live like YOU, not do things YOU do. They need to stop themselves, so YOU don't have to be exposed to them and their roundness, bulging under their clown oversized clothes. How dare they impose onto YOUR personal space. Spoil perfection of YOUR world.

Sorry mate, if that's how you see it - it's is still you. You are the problem. You make your life uncomfortable, you make their lives uncomfortable. What for? Why? They are not like you, they don't have to be. some people are fat, get over it. Oh wait, where did I see this slogan before? ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
I think it's a shame there's so many fat girls about, it lowers the average and i bet many would look good otherwise, yeah it's not something we should accommodate beyond the basics, like smoking it's pointless and no good comes from it.

Associate
Fat people only annoy me when they are soaking up benefits and NHS time due to something they are doing to themselves..... just like drug addicts, alcoholics and any other class of self harm.

Airlines are starting to make large people pay for 2 seats...... there is some justice.... :D?

Soldato
Fat people only annoy me when they are soaking up benefits and NHS time due to something they are doing to themselves..... just like drug addicts, alcoholics and any other class of self harm.

Airlines are starting to make large people pay for 2 seats...... there is some justice.... :D?

You are conveniently overlooking the extra duty paid by drinkers and smokers at point of sale.

Caporegime

out of curiosity how about actual self harm?

Caporegime
I honestly would agree with that statement. They are making more efficient use of the energy available to them.

Look at a boiler. A more efficient boiler needs less input. If you put the same in as you would an inefficient one it will run hot. It has an excess of energy present. This is the same as a fat person. They have excess energy which happens to be stored in the form of fat.

no they're not, a fat person takes more energy to keep alive than a thin person.

"fat" isn't like some goo pumped into them it's still cells it's still living tissue, it requires energy and oxygen to keep it alive, plus it requires move effort to move, more effort to breath, more effort for the heart to pump.

all in all fat people are vastly more inefficient and require lots more energy to maintain than a non fat person.

in your example it's like having a bigger boiler tank than you need with not so great insulation, you're always having to provide more energy to keep that excess of water heated and replace the lost heat.

Associate
First of all. What if we actually did? What if we stopped being judgemental sons of female dogs and just let others live life they want?

Smokers is a fine example. Britain by any western standards is a country of high functioning alcoholics with substance abuse issues. A country that has statically very long working hours, very little "life", incredibly high consumption but very scarce uptake of any hobbies, even compared to other workoholic countries like Germany.

And yet we somehow managed to arrange a situation where one group of substance abusers demanded blanket ban of other substance abusers from public places dedicated specifically to addictions, just so they could pickle their livers and survive another adrenaline rush induced by watching 22 grown up man angrily chasing piece of pig skin across grass field on TV, because they managed to convince themselves all of the above was somehow better for their health without their clothing being exposed to byproducts of nicotine addition. I found it absolutely bizarre and I don't even smoke.

Why should I suffer the consequences of smoke inhalation from everyone smoking in public, when it is their lifestyle choice, not mine?

If someone is happy being overweight that doesn't have any impact on my life, I don't suddenly have a cake forced down my throat when they eat a cake in public. If people smoke in public, everyone around them is then forced to 'passive smoke'.

Associate
I would love to let people live the life they want. Sadly all this obesity and drug use costs money to treat.

So they'd have to let me live the life I want and not subsidise their lazy, drug addicted asses.

If they agree with that let the fatties and junkies go wild!

Man of Honour
Why should I suffer the consequences of smoke inhalation from everyone smoking in public, when it is their lifestyle choice, not mine?

If someone is happy being overweight that doesn't have any impact on my life, I don't suddenly have a cake forced down my throat when they eat a cake in public. If people smoke in public, everyone around them is then forced to 'passive smoke'.
Not sure if you are aware, but a smoking ban has now taken place in indoor public places.

Soldato

If you go down that route it won't be long before everything is banned. You don't hear me campaigning against car exhaust fumes. Cars are no more necessary than cigarettes.

Permabanned
If you want to discriminate then fine ... but if its allowed for Fat then it should be allowed for everything.

If I started a thread on here saying 'who else has frozen out a family member for dating someone of colour? - then it would last what, 2 minutes and in that time all the PC brigade would be in there firing off etc

So you cant call for Fat people to get pilloried and not then allow people to say 'i want a white bus and a black person bus, as they nick all our stuff etc'

Ill probably get a ban for putting up an example.

Man of Honour
If you want to discriminate then fine ... but if its allowed for Fat then it should be allowed for everything.

If I started a thread on here saying 'who else has frozen out a family member for dating someone of colour? - then it would last what, 2 minutes and in that time all the PC brigade would be in there firing off etc

So you cant call for Fat people to get pilloried and not then allow people to say 'i want a white bus and a black person bus, as they nick all our stuff etc'

lol that is ridiculous. How are they possibly comparable.

Caporegime

except being fat is a choice the color of your skin is not.

Back
Top Bottom