Who's working this Christmas?

Associate
If so, are you doing it through choice or particularly annoyed about it?

I will be working nights the whole of Christmas week. I'm not too fussed about it, hopefully should be a good laugh and I had a very nice lunch today with all the family. I think I might manage to go this year without having Turkey which is a result!

Man of Honour
Managed to get Christmas day off and Boxing day (which I didn't expect), working the rest :( but didn't really expect otherwise in the job I'm doing.

My brother is working Christmas day by choice - IIRC they are paying him £300 just to turn up and then triple time heh (he'll clear something like £1400 for working one day :|)

Soldato
yeah - my choice though. Originally was going to be off but then a succession of events meant that it made financial sense to goin plus I like what I do so that helps. Triple time. Really double and Toil. Also a £40 voucher on the day itself. Just doing the 8-12 slot though so home at 1pm for crimbo dinner. Going in boxing day for same rate 8-12 again then three day weekend.

Associate
My last night shift finishes at 07:00 on Christmas day, then I'm off for four days so it's not too bad at all.

Next year is going to be worse as I'm down to work evening shifts all throughout the Christmas period.

Thug
Soldato
****ing boss won't let my lady have The 2nd and 3rd January off to come and visit me giving us only a few days together. : ((((

How hard would it have been just to have some grace and say yes, seeing as it'd give us an extra four days? :(

Grr

Associate
That sucks :(

I'm very fortunate to have a flexible working environment and a boss who is happy running our I.T services with a skeleton crew over the Christmas period. We have three people who always come in over Christmas anyway so it's all pretty much voluntary. I'm working Monday and Christmas Eve which will involve the usual Servicedesk stuff but it'll most likely be very quiet... so a few of us are bringing in our remote control helicopters for some between-call entertainment :D

For those of you working over Christmas, job allowing, try and bring something or do something to help make it feel less like work and a bit more fun. I hope you all have a great time regardless of work :)

Soldato
I'm working Christmas Eve, I have to start at 6pm instead of my usual 9pm start time, but if everything goes smoothly we should be leaving at around midnight. I'm then off till the 2nd January, the first time in 18 years I have managed to get it off.

Posted from Overclockers.co.uk App for Android

Soldato
Off "work" but best mate owns a pub, so will have breakfast with the family, do pressies with my little girl, go and help out behind the bar at lunch time til 3, go home for dinner, go back to the pub for evening and get sloshed with the chosen few regulars :D

Soldato
****ing boss won't let my lady have The 2nd and 3rd January off to come and visit me giving us only a few days together. : ((((

How hard would it have been just to have some grace and say yes, seeing as it'd give us an extra four days? :(

Grr

There's always an unfortunate bought of illness or other problem such as a car breakdown. A while back I worked on a team that had a rota for the festive period which meant that everyone had to cover a couple of days. A then colleague of mine managed to have such issues for all three years that I worked with her, which meant she could never make it back into work from Christmas eve until the Monday after New Year. Strange that we all knew in advance that she was travelling a long way to stay with her parents and had no intention of coming back before January :rolleyes:

Thug
Soldato
I said that to her but she is a better person than myself, not to mention that she has only worked there for 4 months so I'm guessing she could be fired without warning.

Just a shame really, seeing as she is travelling 600 plus miles each way by coach for just 4 days instead of the 8 we could had if he had given the 2 days...

Still, the post still needs to be answered apparently.. :rolleyes:

Associate
OP
My girlfriend is also working over Christmas but she is working days, so we will literally pass each other in the corridor. No double time or christmas bonus, just a couple of days off in lieu, the joys of working for the NHS.

Soldato
Nope but i would have been had i was still working there my ex colleague is running about on 12 hour days all this week on west burton power

Associate
Have started working at a pub, so we are doing 12-3 on x-mas day. This is fine as it is all extra money and I have nothing planned. If I did have something planned, it would all be a horrific mess anyway so this is probably for the best.

Back
Top Bottom