Spec me a microUSB charging cable

Soldato
Help! I want microUSB charging cables for my Note 2 that charges as well as the official one (without paying official prices)!
I've tried what feels like half a dozen different cables and they all suffer from slow charging despite reporting AC charging to the phone (all using the official Samsung charger at 2A). Mostly they manage around 1A which is borderline acceptable if I'm leaving it overnight but since I'm using it for Wifi tethering overnight it becomes less acceptable.. one of them manages just 100mA. :/
More to the point when I try to use it in car with sat nav and music, 1A will fail to maintain charge.

I really don't think it should be this difficult to buy a simple USB charging cable! (or 5)

Help appreciated :o

Soldato
Any MicroUSB cable with AWG 28/24 or better would be fine.

Not quite that simple.
To get by the 500mA limit on USB power, the device being charged has to see that the cable has the two data lines shorted together.

This video explains how to make your own. Ignore the actual charge current his device is displaying - the app he's using is reporting ~10x the actual current.

Soldato
OP
Not quite that simple.
To get by the 500mA limit on USB power, the device being charged has to see that the cable has the two data lines shorted together.

This video explains how to make your own. Ignore the actual charge current his device is displaying - the app he's using is reporting ~10x the actual current.

Fair point - and fairly simple to sort out :)

Back
Top Bottom