***The Official Manly Shaving Thread***

Soldato
OK, so worked out a while ago that I'm allergic to one of the things I bought, made my face look like it hasn't since I was about 15. I kept on with the DE razor using my remaining Gillette shaving foam spread with my hands and I've been fine since. So it's either the Taylors of Bond Street Sandlewood Soap, the badger brush (BADGER!), or that it happened after I tried to shave a little too close... Trying again with the soap and badger brush now (BADGER!), if it happens again which d'you reckon I should drop next, the badger (BADGER!), or the sandlewood soap?

Caporegime
The sandalwood is likely to contain something which your skin objects to more so than your brush although I suppose both are possible. Use your brush to apply the gillette muck and you'll be able to work it out.

ADL

ADL

Associate
I realise that this is hardly scientific but I have a terrible reaction to Taylor's of Old Bond Street Sandalwood. I didn't want to believe it the first time as it had such a nice smell but it's definitely that for me (verified twice!).

No problems with Proraso, Mitchell's Wool Fat soap or Bluebeard's Revenge which I use interchangeably.

Soldato
OK, so worked out a while ago that I'm allergic to one of the things I bought, made my face look like it hasn't since I was about 15. I kept on with the DE razor using my remaining Gillette shaving foam spread with my hands and I've been fine since. So it's either the Taylors of Bond Street Sandlewood Soap, the badger brush (BADGER!), or that it happened after I tried to shave a little too close... Trying again with the soap and badger brush now (BADGER!), if it happens again which d'you reckon I should drop next, the badger (BADGER!), or the sandlewood soap?

There is something in all the creams i've used from Creighton's that i'm allergic to (TOBS, Truefitt, St James). I get a burning sensation and red blotches.

I only use soaps as i get a much better shave, face lathering them & haven't had that problem since with anything else.

Grab a Palmolive soap stick from the supermarket for 50p and give it a try :)

Associate
Well got a Edwin Jagger De89L for crimbo.

Took it for its first spin this morning, crikey! Best shave ever, I could barely feel it shaving, I had to double check :p

My closest shave to date as well, was using a Gillette sensor beforehand.

Soldato
OP
Well got a Edwin Jagger De89L for crimbo.

Took it for its first spin this morning, crikey! Best shave ever, I could barely feel it shaving, I had to double check :p

My closest shave to date as well, was using a Gillette sensor beforehand.

Good to hear you are pleased with your results. They will only get better too! :)

dod

dod

Soldato
I've got a Muhle R89 and always feel like it's not quite doing the job. Can anyone recommend something maybe slightly more aggressive please?

Soldato
I've got a Muhle R89 and always feel like it's not quite doing the job. Can anyone recommend something maybe slightly more aggressive please?

I've jus arrived at this point. Tried the R41 grande open comb hoping to get a better shave but still no.

I can shave with no cuts and almost no irritation but that baby smooth shave still eludes me to the point now where I am thinking of going back to my Panny electric shaver. Or maybe buying a Braun series 7

Don
My mrs bought me a really nice straight razor, strop, brush and soap for christmas.
She sees me shaving with a Mach 3 every day and has always asked me why I don't shave like a real man. Now I can learn.
I bagged myself an Edwin Jagger DE89L safety razor today, so I'll try with that if I really don't get along with the straight razor.

Commissario
I've jus arrived at this point. Tried the R41 grande open comb hoping to get a better shave but still no.

I can shave with no cuts and almost no irritation but that baby smooth shave still eludes me to the point now where I am thinking of going back to my Panny electric shaver. Or maybe buying a Braun series 7

Sounds like you've not got your technique right or found the right blade. Probably the former if you're still getting 'almost no irritation' as you shouldn't get any irritation at all. If you're getting better from electric then you're surely doing something wrong.

Caporegime

I bought a Braun 5030s for the silly sale price of £60 on Amazon UK, and I have to say... the shave is smooth and as soft as a baby bum compared to my old Braun Syncro Pro 7750, easily approaching (a notch or two behind) the level of closeness I can get when I use a razor. Also, it deals MUCH better with my wiry neck hair, whereas with the Syncro it required a lot of passes in multiple directions to get it off. Very happy with it, especially for the money I paid.

With the shave being this close, I can't see myself using a wet razor again, it's just so much more hassle in comparison and I almost without fail get skin irritation... and trust me I have tried every blade, product and technique I can research over the years.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom