iPad air or iPad mini retina?

Associate
This has prob been discussed before. I am looking to upgrade my iPad 3 with either these two. Now all I can pretty much see, they are virtually the same apart from the size.
Is the air worth the extra ££? And would it bug me going from a larger screen to a smaller one? Anyone got experience on that issue?

Soldato
It's down to personal preference. If you live near an Apple store (or even a Dixons or something), try them out for yourself. Personally, I prefer the larger model.

Permabanned
I went with the mini retina...and love it...more portable and lighter and you don't notice the reduced screen size tbh.

Went from the ipad4.

Soldato
I've got an Air and my daughter has the retina mini, after using them both for a while I would say the mini would be ideal if you intend to use on the go a lot (travelling, commuting) but if it's going to act as your main device indoors (say opposed to a laptop) then I'd recommend the larger screen size, easier on the eyes and quicker to type on.

Also other than size I believe the air runs at a slighter faster clock speed.

Associate
Just try both in store.

Personally I went for the retina mini (from an iPad 3) as being lighter and comfortable to hold in one hand I think I will use it more than the larger size. I know it's a "first world problem" but there were times I preferred to go back to my phone (S4) to do something quick than a full size iPad.

Soldato
I don't really the whole 'if you're travelling a lot get the mini' argument. I carry my Air around every day and barely notice it in my bag. Let's face it, the extra 139g is not going to cause you a huge issue.

I originally bought the mini as I thought the form factor would be perfect, especially for reading given you can comfortably hold it with one hand. However after using it for a couple of hours I found the screen a little too small and that everything was a bit fiddly. It also didn't really give me the extra real estate over my iPhone to make it a compelling buy, so I sent it back and got the Air instead. Personally I'm glad I did as I find it excellent, the extra screen size makes text a more reasonable size for reading, navigating around the screen is easier and I find it really shows off colours much better.

As people have said above there is no right or wrong answer to the question, just get down to a retailer and try for yourself.

Associate
I have a mini retina and an ipad 3. I can't work out which I like best. As it stands for me, the retina is easier to use in a greater variety of spaces but then the ipad 3 has the bigger screen. I'll keep both until I decide.
What's all this cobblers about "real estate"? :D

Soldato
What's all this cobblers about "real estate"? :D

Sorry, I forgot this was a computer forum and the lack of correct terminology would be pounced upon ;):D

Yes, you can't fit anymore on the screen on the Air given it has the resolution, I guess what I was getting at is that everything seems (in my opinion) a little squeezed in on the Mini's screen.

But to be honest it's horses for courses as the Mini is still a great tablet, just depends on personal preference.

Soldato
being able to hold it in 1 hand is a good enough reason to justify that recommendation.

I completely disagree. I use mine on a train frequently (I commute via train) and generally rest it on my lap when using it so not being able hold it one hand isn't a problem. Clearly if your standing all the way having the Mini would be beneficial for the reason you mention.

In fact if we're talking about travelling long distances by train or by plane then I would think the Air would still pip the Mini as you'd probably be using it for watching films etc, which again (in my opinion again!) look better on the Air and you are likely to have a seat.

Associate
Sorry, I forgot this was a computer forum and the lack of correct terminology would be pounced upon ;):D

Yes, you can't fit anymore on the screen on the Air given it has the resolution, I guess what I was getting at is that everything seems (in my opinion) a little squeezed in on the Mini's screen.

But to be honest it's horses for courses as the Mini is still a great tablet, just depends on personal preference.

Totally with you on mini's screen, but then I'm typing this lying down on my sofa
whilst holding it comfortably in my other hand. That is not possible on a full size ipad and that's why I'm struggling with what I like best. Yesterday it was the full size ipad, today it's the mini!

And regarding Real Estate - it gets on my wick when us Brits can't use our own interpretation like it has a "bigger screen" and instead refer to apple's marketing bull****. Real Estate is not a term we commonly use in our language. (British English) :)

Caporegime
I would have gone for the mini but I've read reviews where they say the screen is suffering from retention and the colour gamut is not as wide as the iPad air's. So now I would choose the air and see what comes along for the mini 3.

Soldato
Been having the same dilemma recently too after deciding on an upgrade for my iPad 1. Had a play with both instore all but decided on the air. Was an easy choice in the end as it'll very rarely leave the house so portability wasnt an issue.

Back
Top Bottom