987 Boxter talk to me

Associate
I am considering buying a boxter as my next car. I believe there are one or two people on here that own them.

Looking at the 3.4S around 07/57/08 budget upto say 18K.

What should I be looking for in terms of options (what options are a must, and which should i avoid) and any potential issues?

What are real world MPG figures like? Current car does around 26/27MPG in day to day driving and max of about 33/34MPG on motorway.

I know what tyres are like for costing but hows the servicing on these?

Cheers

Soldato
Surely you should be able to spell the model of the car you are looking for?

Servicing and parts prices IMO are extremely reasonable. Minor Service costs £200 at my dealer and a major is £320. That's on my 996 so a Boxster won't be that far off.

MPG I would expect 22 day to day and 29 on longer runs.

Associate
First post - long time lurker :)

I had a 57 plate Boxster S 3.4 for 2 years before changing to a Cayman. The years your looking at will be a gen 1 987.

I bought mine from an OPC so it came with their used 2 year warranty which can be a real godsend or a right pain depending on which way you look at it. (mods etc) Reliability wise mine was a bit of a lemon, had a fair few issues from the roof bar snapping to front springs being replaced and heat shields working their way loose. However all this was replaced under warranty and didn't cost me a penny, plus they always gave me a courtesy car. Not that that many things should go wrong with a car in such a short space of time, but it did make it easier to stomach.

From a driving perspective it was a fantastic car to own, the engine was great with a good amount of low down torque and the gearbox was a gem. The feedback from the steering was perfect as were the brakes.

Servicing costs were reasonably high as I was tied in to having it done at the OPC due to warranty. But they are every 2 years or 20k miles so that kind of makes them seem a bt cheaper. All the costs can be found here: http://porscheownerservices.co.uk/servicing/?model=26

MPG - Like pepsilol 30 max on a run, low 20's around town.

IMO don't bother with PCM (porsche sat nav), is useless in the gen 1 and feels really dated.

I only changed to the Cayman as I just fancied one and I was offered a good part ex price for mine. Plus PDK with PSE swung it for me :)

Associate
I have a 2009 Boxster S (987 gen2) and previously had a 2005 Boxster (987)

Both are high mileage cars (both cheapest of their age at time of purchase - in fact mine's still much cheaper than any other 2009 out there) with decent range of options but not fully loaded. Brilliant cars and I would recommend to anyone in the market for a 2 seater. I must be in the minority who actually likes the Sat-Nav, I've even set the new one to be 2d so it feels like the old one!

My first one did need the odd repair (front springs too and leak that fried some electrics - check under passenger carpet behind the seat!) but new one is under warranty, although I would run one of these.

Rear visibility poor so get parking sensors if you can.

I may have to sell the boxster s if my house purchase goes through unfortunately! But I've measured up the garage for another one :)

Real world MPG is 34 on a long run and 25 round town - I have the DFI engine though.

Back
Top Bottom