Product key does not match current Windows SKU

Associate
I've resurrected my old desktop to give to my in-laws. I've bought them a Win 7 product key, and installed a fresh copy on a formatted HDD. I've only got the key, which was not supplied with a disc. I've no reason to doubt the legitimacy of the key or seller, based on previous feedback (buy it now auction purchase, over 50 similar items already sold). I've used one of my Win 7 HP discs (bought the day Win 7 was released). On installation, I got the above message.

I've done a bit of Googling, and it appears that the code I have may be for a later version of Win7HP. The seller provided a link to an iso, and stated that it was the Service Pack 1 version.

I don't have any blank DVDs here, other than a used DVD-RW. I do have a USB stick. I'm currently downloading the ISO in case have to start from scratch with that.

My questions are:

Is there a quick and easy way to resolve this?
Is phone activation possible in these circs? I can't find a number anywhere.
Will there be any issues trying to create a bootable DVD using the ISO and DVD-RW if the above are not options?
How tricky is it to boot/install from USB?

Associate
OP
COA sticker in the post ATM, key emailed ahead first. Dashes added automatically when inputting.

If it's fake, I'm not massively fussed as I'll get a refund via PayPal and leave negative feedback for the seller.

Soldato
He is probably selling refurbisher keys so really you are not properly licenced. What these guys like to do is scrape an old XP COA off from an old PC and stick it to a W7 Home Premium refurbisher disc/COA as they think this makes it a proper licence.

Associate
OP
Now getting bored of this process. Burnt the ISO on to a disc, booted OK but when I tried to install, it told me the DVD driver was missing. Tried using the USB tool linked above, however the ISO is apparently 'not valid'.

Associate
OP
Well, looks like a fraud. I downloaded a different ISO from Digital River, and each key still came up wrong.

I went to contact him again via Ebay for a refund and his listings have been pulled, so I've raised a dispute. I've paid by PP, so not too worried. All I've lost is time. Now on the hunt for another (genuine) copy...

Caporegime
If it's priced a bit cheap then it probably isn't legit. Ignoring the Windows 8 promo period earlier this year the pricing for Windows has been very consistent.

Back
Top Bottom