LED Bulb Thread

Soldato
So tempted to order some leds.
I need G9 dimmables and found a place doing 5.5w ones for £7.something.

Just not sure if I want warm or white. I love tungsten but my current set up I feel I need the room brighter, but not sure if cool white is too clinical for a bedroom =/

Soldato
Been looking to replacing some halogen floodlights here, been researching to see what's available, different firms rate for example a 50w LED floodlight output differently, some say it's equivalent to a 500w Halogen floodlight, others a 300w Halogen floodlight.
And some say to replace a 500w Halogen floodlight, you should ideally consider a 100w LED floodlight, it the same with the lower wattage 10w, 20w & 30w led floodlights,it's so confusing choosing a LED floodlight.

Then you have them available in warm white (2700k), cool white(4000K) & daylight (6500k) versions, which adds even more confusion to your choice.

Have decided on using Daylight led floodlights, as I think they give the best colour rendition at night, but the quality of the led floodlight output varies wildly depending on the led chip used,there seems to be big differences in lumens for the same wattage led floodlight from different makers.

Soldato
I bought cool white, but personally think it's too white. Almost a blue tint on it.

So may go for a 30 or 50 warm now.

You will get that with cool white lamps.

The higher the kelvin (k) rating, the cooler shade of light, I found warm white too much with a yellowish tinge at night.

Might myself change to daylight (3500- 4100k), it's case of experimenting & see what looks best.

Trouble is, one halogen floodlight I'm replacing sits on top of a 16' pole, so it's important I get it right first time with colour & wattage.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Can anyone recommend an LED bulb with some decent wallop and a wide viewing angle for my outside light?

It's a PIR lantern so it needs to be something that is up to speed immediately - I've tried an energy saver in it and I may as well not bother having the light at all.

Normal filament bulbs don't last very long in it as they are frail and it gets knocked easily where it is.

E27 fitting.

Ordered some more GU10 spotlight LEDs from LED Hut.
Used the 20% off code plus Topcashback. Came to around £65 (£55 after TCB) as not only did I buy 8 warm white dimmable bulbs for my living room, I needed a new dimmer switch too.

The payback for replacing my 50W Halogens with my 4W LEDs will be around 10 months.

I won't be going out my way to buy LEDs for rooms I rarely use such as the downstairs toilet, but in hallways/living room/kitchen they really are a clear cut, simple way to seriously hack down your annual electricity bill.

Finally got some dimmable LEDs for the lounge. Needed a new dimmer switch.
Whilst I was at it I put up some lined curtains and used a chimney balloon to block the flue off (howling wind and SO much heat lost).

All my LEDs are from LED Hut and are 4W ones, replacing standard GU10 50W halogens.

Before (left) and after (right):

Half done (upper 4 LED, lower 4 halogen): ___________________________________________________Contrast of warm LEDs in lounge with cool white ones in kitchen:

Last edited:
Soldato
Finally got some dimmable LEDs for the lounge. Needed a new dimmer switch.
Whilst I was at it I put up some lined curtains and used a chimney balloon to block the flue off (howling wind and SO much heat lost).

All my LEDs are from LED Hut and are 4W ones, replacing standard GU10 50W halogens.

Looking good.

Which ones did you actually get?

Last edited:
Associate
So tempted to order some leds.
I need G9 dimmables and found a place doing 5.5w ones for £7.something.

Just not sure if I want warm or white. I love tungsten but my current set up I feel I need the room brighter, but not sure if cool white is too clinical for a bedroom =/

Can you share the link of where these can be found please?

Does anyone else know of anywhere that stocks dimmable G9s with decent output, say around 5W.

Thank you

Mike

Back
Top Bottom