54 plate corsa - wet drivers footwell

Soldato
Hello all.

I discovered today that the drivers footwell carpet is soaking wet and after googling I see that it is most likely the seal around the brake servo that with time cracks and allows water in. Has anyone else here had the same issue and fixed it yourself or taken it to a garage? If you did it yourself was it easy to do and what did you need for it? If you tool it to a garage how much did it cost to put right?

Thanks.

Soldato
OP
That is an option but if I read correctly a bunch of stuff needs to come off to get at it. People have done it themselves using a mastic to go all around it.

Soldato
Tried to fix the same issue on my mum's car with lashings of mastic and sealant and it worked for a while but the issue came back, so my dad just gave it to Vauxhall to replace the brake servo mounting plate.

Soldato
It was about £550 IIRC! Not cheap by any stretch as it's a labour intensive job. But it cures the problem..!

Have taken them out, cleaned all the gloop off and re-sealed them before now to good effect. As for the price at Vauxhall, iirc they replace the whole thing (as mentioned above) because the 'seal' itself isn't available seperately...and its a PITA job...
:)

Soldato
OP
I registered for the corsa c website which I found via a link that came up on a previous thread about the same issue just waiting for approval so I can get proper access on there. Seems it is not to tricky just time consuming is that the case jon.bda? I MIGHT be able to get the car in the garage which will probably determine whether or not I do it myself if not I will check with a local garage I tend to use all the time and see if he will just reseal it for me. That should be cheaper than getting Vauxhall to replace the entire thing.

Associate
This just happens to my wife's car. Our local garage charged us £30. I nearly fell off my chair when she told me as I was expecting at least a few hundred quid as it's a labour intensive job.

The difficult bit is drying out the sodding carpet and deadening material. Ours is still damp a good few weeks later...

Soldato
OP
Heating does work okay thats fine, was it the drivers foot well that was wet for you knip? Think I read that is generally the passenger side. Wow £30 just to reseal the servo Endlesssky? That isn't to bad, is it drying out at all and not just getting wet still? If I press down on the carpet in my car it kinda rises to the surface like a puddle, that will be due to the really heavy rain in the last week.

Associate
The water was raising up just as you describe, it still is to an extent but it is no where near as bad. The problem now is that it's not drying weather and I don't have a useable garage to get the car in and get some heaters or dehumidifiers in it. I suspect if you take it to a garage which is less bonkers than the one we went too, they might consider drying out your carpets too!

Soldato
I've done about 4 Corsas now including my own, all dry to this day :)

You'll need to remove the brake reservoir and move it back enough to reach the bottom of the back of the pedal box (from the engine bay) down near where the clutch pipe goes in through it is where the main weakness is in the seal between the box and the cars body.

Dig as much as the old stuff out as you can then use a good clear sealant to fill the gap, once dry I use some hammerite body undercoat, make sure its nice and thick and do a few coats. This works and it's proven, it's very easy to DIY.
To dry your carpets take the driver side chair out and peel the carpet up carefully the sound proofing is pretty thick and holds loads of water, either cut this out carefully so you can replace it or vax it!

Associate
I've done about 4 Corsas now including my own, all dry to this day :)

You'll need to remove the brake reservoir and move it back enough to reach the bottom of the back of the pedal box (from the engine bay) down near where the clutch pipe goes in through it is where the main weakness is in the seal between the box and the cars body.

Dig as much as the old stuff out as you can then use a good clear sealant to fill the gap, once dry I use some hammerite body undercoat, make sure its nice and thick and do a few coats. This works and it's proven, it's very easy to DIY.
To dry your carpets take the driver side chair out and peel the carpet up carefully the sound proofing is pretty thick and holds loads of water, either cut this out carefully so you can replace it or vax it!

Thanks for this, most useful :)

Soldato
OP
Okay so I went to garage I normally use yesterday and he said first thing I should check before taking in for him is the runaway bit for leaves and stuff so I got home and cleaned all that out but it wasn't really that bad. However upon clearing out the drivers side bit I did see a crack/hole in the lower part of the sealant around the plate so this will be why it is leaking. It is quite low down and with the very heavy rain recently I expect it was filling up trying to drain out and then kinda overflowing into this hole.

Car is booked in Friday for him to do but I am going to get out there tomorrow and see if I can't dry it up a little, some wd40 around the area to clean up the grease/dirt and then gutter sealant as much as I can. Ideally without taking to much off in the way of pipes as I don't want to bleed the brakes.

Back
Top Bottom