Text Based Games

Soldato
Would you play one in this day and age?
even if it has no graphics what so ever?

Reason I ask is i fancy making a game but i'm not so good with graphics but i do have good enough coding skill & be a great test for my story writing

so would be nice to see your responses.
i would only release it if i thought it was brilliant as well as some friends who speak to the truth 24/7

Associate
If you are talking about the games that use:
n for north,
s for south,
e,
w,
Up,
Down
I for inventory
Use, Get, Talk etc.....

I still play a few from time to time..would be good to see what you cone up with.....

there is a program that does all the hard work for you all you need to do is put the storyline and options in.

Associate
i recently played and finished horror text game Anchorhead, very atmospheric and rather scary, thats the only one ive ever managed to play however as its the only one which had a story and writing that graabed me.

..and yeah i think a lot of people will play it, there's quite a big community out there for text adventures. they call them interactive fiction these days

Last edited:
Soldato
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

I occasionally play them, sometimes it makes for a nice change. There are only so many bland shooters one can play. :p

On another note, if you wanted to do something graphical then there are options other than creating your own graphics. OpenGameArt has plenty of resources you can use. :)

Soldato
OP
i was thinking

Like a Dungeon/dragon or mafia RPG kind of game where you are told what is going on stuff you can pick up. pick upgrades for your items by adding points to certain attributes.

do you think
dungeon
Mafia

is best idea to go with?

Associate
The text adventure game still has a strong community behind it. But they use the term 'interactive fiction' now. Google that and you'll get plenty of games, or look here for the results of last year's big annual competition: www.ifcomp.org

Caporegime
No, I wouldn't play a text game.

I would play a 2D sprite based game. I would play a 3D game with rough graphics like Minecraft.

There is no reason to be making text games in 2014! 2D graphics programming is very easy, and there are a plethora of high level languages to choose from. Ie, anything but C++ :p

Permabanned

I would play a 2D sprite based game. I would play a 3D game with rough graphics like Minecraft.

There is no reason to be making text games in 2014! 2D graphics programming is very easy, and there are a plethora of high level languages to choose from. Ie, anything but C++ :p

The reason is, is that some people actually like them...........................

Associate
I have the lost treasures of infocom kicking around on 3.5" disks. I noticed that they are also available as an app these days.

Associate

yeah the programming itself is maybe easy but surely if your a sucky artist/dont have an artist to help you then whatever gfx you decide to cobble together will be half assed at best not to mention the animation. As already said there's still loads of text adventures being made with inform and other languages today and lots of people playing and enjoying them, they are also mega easy to program by the sound of it to the point you dont need much, if any coding skill just a bit of reading and patients, so all you need to be is a good writer and have a good imagination!

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think it's really a 'text' game but do you mean something in ACSII like Dwarf Fortress. Easily the greatest indie game for PC and it's still in development, very fun even though there are no actual graphics in sight.

Soldato
I keep starting MUD games and get distracted but they are good fun :)

I've also been thinking about using one of those "dice based role playing books" to create a text game from, then look at adding basic graphics and then maybe 2D/Isometric :)

Soldato
Remember playing loads on the speccy.

Terrormolinos
Colditz
The Hulk
Spiderman
The Hobbit
Dracula

One I can't remember, was set in the future I think, you find a stun gun, can't remember what it was called.

Soldato
OP
started this 2 days ago,

its going to be a RPG, where you will be able to pick your class/race/name
& pick your stats to start with which effect your games very much.

i spent so far around 12 hours working on the stats setup & character creation :D
today i think im going to draw a map of the world so i can untangle this to reader easier.

Back
Top Bottom