Hiking, backpacking, trekking, mountaineering...

Man of Honour
Is there any beginner hikes for hiking in the snow, i can sign up to. Snowdon, or any other mountain realy, this winter. Prefflably wales, or lake district. Any furter north and it just gets so costly to get there.

Soldato
Is there any beginner hikes for hiking in the snow, i can sign up to. Snowdon, or any other mountain realy, this winter. Prefflably wales, or lake district. Any furter north and it just gets so costly to get there.

Sign up for a winter skills weekend at Plas y Brenin, worth doing if you're venturing out in the winter. Will teach you crampon use and self arrest with an ice axe.

Caporegime
Right folks, my Zamberlans are finally giving up the ghost and I'm in need of a new boot. Well, a pair of new boots really.
Cheviots are my back yard and every few months I do something a bit harder, lakes, snowdonia, cairngorms etc.
So...they need to be waterproof! Also comfortable for long days and reasonably resilient against jagged rocks etc.

Any thoughts that wont break the bank?

Man of Honour
Any other people have ultralight weight gear?

Need everything realy sleeping bag, tent, water filter etc. as well as anyhring else, any decent ration food, what do you like in your med/emergency kit?

Messiah Khan gave a few, more rucksack orientated, anyone got any other good places

http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/
http://www.laufbursche-gear.de/
http://www.zpacks.com/

Realy like the ECHO I Ultralight Shelter System on the first link but at $600 then customs etc its to expensive.

Last edited:
Soldato
A Tarptent Contrail looks to be very similar to the ECHO thing you linked to. Slightly heavier (700g vs 644g) but it's $200.

The Scarp 1 from tarptent is quite a popular choice also. It's a tent with poles, so quite a bit heavier than the other design but you'll never get stuck if you cant find a stick (not a problem if your walking with a pole though)

Man of Honour
Thanks, how come there's such a lack on uk outlets doing this stuff, all this lovely countryside, and i know we're small but you can still do hundreds of miles. Although we lack the huge trails like america/europe.

Any idea how the contrail weathers storms, other than that question, looks spot on. Notch also looks suitable although probably less suitable for capturing any heat when cooking unlike the long this one, you can cook in the door, without a massive opening.

Last edited:
Soldato
i suppose this is as good a place to put my question accross.

i fly out to queensland on 8th jan (arrive on the 10th) and will be doing some walking/exploring of the tropics.

it's wet season. will i need a vaccination for malaria? i'm confused, some google searches are saying yes, some are saying it's not necessary and i've left it a bit fine to see my gp as i'm working flat out until the 7th!

my immune system is in good order but i've read about some dodgy fevers from the water and soil.

should i be looking to get some jabs or should i close the google doctor?

Soldato
Any other people have ultralight weight gear?

Need everything realy sleeping bag, tent, water filter etc. as well as anyhring else, any decent ration food, what do you like in your med/emergency kit?

Messiah Khan gave a few, more rucksack orientated, anyone got any other good places

http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/
http://www.laufbursche-gear.de/
http://www.zpacks.com/

Realy like the ECHO I Ultralight Shelter System on the first link but at $600 then customs etc its to expensive.

I use the Vaude Power Lizard tent and sleep in a Rab Neutrino down bag, 200 for summer, 400 for winter on an Exped Synmat UL sleeping mat which serves me year round.
I use a Travel Tap filter for water and for food I just take easy to cook dried food and things like oats with milk powder in for breakfast. I cook on a Fly Ti stove which fits in a pot with spork, lighter and a micro gas cartridge.

My kit isn't ultralight, but for overnights in the summer I can pack it all in a 25 litre rucksack. The tent is a very large one man, weighs about 1kg, packs down tiny and has stood up to some horrible weather high up! As for packs, I really rate the Montane ones. I'm happy with that kit as together it doesn't weigh much and I can get a decent nights sleep in all weather!

Man of Honour
Thanks, will take a look at all that.

Already got a titanium mug/stove for christmas.

I have an osprey kestel at the moment, but my shoulders are to big and the shoulder straps are splayed outwards and so dont sit flat. So need to find one made for large shoulders.

Also any campsites very close to pen-y fan. Although will be doing other walks, will be doing two moors and wild camping. I will be visiting pen-y-fan and the surrounding mounts a lot this year, a hell off a lot, i will be bored of it by the end, but its the closest large peak .

Somewhere with a shower and can leave the motorbike and is cheap, pub nearby would be nice.
Or even better a wild camping area.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks, how come there's such a lack on uk outlets doing this stuff, all this lovely countryside, and i know we're small but you can still do hundreds of miles. Although we lack the huge trails like america/europe.

Any idea how the contrail weathers storms, other than that question, looks spot on. Notch also looks suitable although probably less suitable for capturing any heat when cooking unlike the long this one, you can cook in the door, without a massive opening.

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk
http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk
:)

Although most of the best gear is still US based.

On another note though, I have now moved up to the Cairngorms and live in the middle of the forest with the mountains 10 minutes away. Not to make anyone jealous. :p I also work in a really nice outdoor shop in Aviemore, so please pop in and say hello if you are in the area.

A Few of my recent wanderings;

20su0c5.jpg

14y9ye8.jpg

:)

Soldato
Just rearranged a trip to Snowdon this weekend to the Brecon Beacons instead... hostel rang and said they have no water supply!

Must dos in the Brecon Beacons? Might check out Pen Y Fan.

Soldato
Weather looks perfect to be on the tops this weekend ;) The last time I was down there I MTBd through "The Gap" (between Pen y Fan and Fan y Big) and the weather was minging. Even the mountain rescue folks were sat in their 4x4 drinking coffee...

Soldato
Loving the snow pics! Making me jealous as there is still hardly any snow in Snowdonia! Last year there was loads in December. Guess I'll have to wait till my week off in February when I get up to Scotland to have a proper play in the snow..

Backpacking Light is one of my favourite places to buy from, great customer service and usually decent prices. I like the fact I always get a little hand written note whenever I've bought something from them too, commenting on something in the order.

Soldato
Has anyone been to the Peak District recently? If so, whats it like? I'm looking at doing a walk with my Dad before the end of January but don't want it to be a wash out!!!!

Was thinking of doing the Kinder Reservoir walk from Hayfield.

Will defiantly be doing Snowdon this year, was put off last year by the snow and the numerous people being 'rescued'. Gutted as my other friends did the walk and had great conditions!!!

Associate
Now then, planning on a little outing to the lakes at the end of the month and I'm hoping on putting great gable to sleep.

Just wondered if anyone on here could spec me a decent lightweight campbed/mat that isn't going to knacker my back up. Had a bit of trouble with it this year and sleeping in a tent isn't the best thing for it but I refuse to become a slave to it! I've currently got a cheap four tube inflatable mat, a pretty hefty self inflating mat (inflates to about 3/4") and a metal low profile camp bed. The latter probably providing me with the most comfortable nights sleep but it takes up the most space in my little one man tent!

Any suggestions welcome, any budget considered.

Sam

Soldato
I use an Exped SynMat 7 UL, depending on how warm or cold you sleep though it might not be enough for the end of January. The DownMat or the non UL version might be worth checking out if you're a cold sleeper.

Back
Top Bottom