2013 Haswell Retina MacBook Pro...

Associate
got my 13" 16gb MBP (2.4GHz, 256GB - fairly low spec apart from the RAM upgrade) that I ordered in late November just before Christmas.

One thing is bugging me - I can't seem to set a different display sleep time from computer sleep time. More a niggle than a major problem but still :(
Also wish it was easier to run fullscreen apps on external monitors but as that's nothing new I probably shouldn't moan.

Soldato
got my 13" 16gb MBP (2.4GHz, 256GB - fairly low spec apart from the RAM upgrade) that I ordered in late November just before Christmas.

One thing is bugging me - I can't seem to set a different display sleep time from computer sleep time. More a niggle than a major problem but still :(
Also wish it was easier to run fullscreen apps on external monitors but as that's nothing new I probably shouldn't moan.

You can run fullscreen apps on multiple monitors now. Go to Sys Prefs->Mission Control and then tick 'Displays have Separate spaces' you can now have multiple fullscreen apps.

Associate
Well, bit the bullet and ordered a new MBP Retina to replace my mid 2009 MBP. Served me well for the last four years, upgrading to 8GB RAM and an SSD made the world of difference a year or two back, but it's starting to show its age now.

Went for the complete works: 2.6GHz i7, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM, GeForce GT 750M model, with a lovely educational discount due to being a guest lecturer at a university. Hopefully this will serve me well for the next 4 years too! :)

Soldato
Well, bit the bullet and ordered a new MBP Retina to replace my mid 2009 MBP. Served me well for the last four years, upgrading to 8GB RAM and an SSD made the world of difference a year or two back, but it's starting to show its age now.

Went for the complete works: 2.6GHz i7, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM, GeForce GT 750M model, with a lovely educational discount due to being a guest lecturer at a university. Hopefully this will serve me well for the next 4 years too! :)

I'm also heading down this route, Mac Pro is in the process of being sold.

Can't decide if I want to spend the extra £170 for the upgraded CPU or not.

Logic being I can use the money to upgrade in the future/on Thunderbolt enclosures :confused:

Soldato
I'm still enjoying my rMBP but am kind of regretting not picking up the top spec model as I'm planning to keep it for a good few years.

I've still got time to send this one back. If I phone them do you think they'll just let me pay the difference and send out the new one or will I have to send this one back and wait for the refund?

Soldato
My experience with Apple is that they are more flexible than most retailers, I suppose a lot depends when you bought it?

I maxxed by 13inch for the same reason, no buyers remorse so far.

My 2.8/16GB/1TB arrived this afternoon and is currently having its disk encrypted.

Not too happy with the new on/off button though, the old one was much nicer.

Associate
The rMBP looks really nice, but I still can't figure out what the true benefit of the retina screen is. Surely it's not just greater clearness/vibrancy?

Is it that, while most of the UI is made to run in 'pixel doubling' mode, different applications run in true 2560x1600 mode? Like e.g. if you open a photo with a resolution of 2560x1600 it's displayed in its native resolution despite the UI which you're using to open the photo running pixel doubled?

Soldato
Waiting for Barclays to send payment to Apple grr.

Upgrading my mid 2009 15" MBP for a 15" rMBP 2.3, 16Gb, 512Gb. :)

Main thing I'm a bit disappointed about for the future is the lack of user serviceable parts from what I can see. No room for an extra SSD of course, like in my current MBP. Will have to wait for PCIe SSDs to become the norm I guess. Thought I'd save on not going for the 2.6Ghz CPU too, I'm not going to be doing anything that should require that.

Soldato
The rMBP looks really nice, but I still can't figure out what the true benefit of the retina screen is. Surely it's not just greater clearness/vibrancy?

Is it that, while most of the UI is made to run in 'pixel doubling' mode, different applications run in true 2560x1600 mode? Like e.g. if you open a photo with a resolution of 2560x1600 it's displayed in its native resolution despite the UI which you're using to open the photo running pixel doubled?

One of the main difference I can see straight away is the superior quality from all viewing angles, tilt the screen to an extreme angle and you can still read the text. The anti-glare also seems superior.

Just opened a few high resolution images and yeah, its incredible.

Night and day difference over the 2009 model, I have them side-by-side.

Built-in speakers are also a massive upgrade over the 09 model.

Last edited:
Associate
One of the main difference I can see straight away is the superior quality from all viewing angles, tilt the screen to an extreme angle and you can still read the text. The anti-glare also seems superior.

To me, those are really only minor differences because when are you not sitting directly in front of your MBP when you're using it?

That said, I don't doubt that the screen is amazing. I'm going to try to stop by the Apple store near me to have a look soon and I might end up getting one. It's just that I'm yet to read anything that can explain what the real benefit is. Probably have to just see it in person.

Soldato
I had a 2009 MBP which was great, and I'm now looking at getting the wife one (because of educational discount and 0% financing) to replace her knackered Asus laptop. Is it worth upgrading the RAM (4Gb to 8Gb) at purchase? I bought RAM and did this myself with my MBP and I think it worked out cheaper. Also, I notice that they don't have a CD/DVD drive anymore, so is it still possible to get Windows installed using BootCamp?

Soldato
I had a 2009 MBP which was great, and I'm now looking at getting the wife one (because of educational discount and 0% financing) to replace her knackered Asus laptop. Is it worth upgrading the RAM (4Gb to 8Gb) at purchase? I bought RAM and did this myself with my MBP and I think it worked out cheaper. Also, I notice that they don't have a CD/DVD drive anymore, so is it still possible to get Windows installed using BootCamp?

The RAM is soldered onto the motherboard of the retina MacBook Pros and Airs. Your only option is to upgrade at purchase. The basic retina MBP comes with 8GB as standard.

Installing Windows should still be possible with the use of a memory stick.

Soldato
The RAM is soldered onto the motherboard of the retina MacBook Pros and Airs. Your only option is to upgrade at purchase. The basic retina MBP comes with 8GB as standard.

Installing Windows should still be possible with the use of a memory stick.
Thanks for the reply, and the info!

Soldato
To me, those are really only minor differences because when are you not sitting directly in front of your MBP when you're using it?

That said, I don't doubt that the screen is amazing. I'm going to try to stop by the Apple store near me to have a look soon and I might end up getting one. It's just that I'm yet to read anything that can explain what the real benefit is. Probably have to just see it in person.

Its tough to see in the bright lights of the apple showroom. The best way of describing it is, that it is like reading off paper. In a normal room, there is little to no glare and no visible pixels. There is almost perfect screen uniformity. If i had this screen 30 years ago, I doubt I would be short sighted now.

One other thing, when i click on the battery icon, it is reading 11 hours and 30 minutes of remaining battery power. On my 2009, it used to read 4, if i were lucky!

Associate
Its tough to see in the bright lights of the apple showroom. The best way of describing it is, that it is like reading off paper. In a normal room, there is little to no glare and no visible pixels. There is almost perfect screen uniformity. If i had this screen 30 years ago, I doubt I would be short sighted now.

One other thing, when i click on the battery icon, it is reading 11 hours and 30 minutes of remaining battery power. On my 2009, it used to read 4, if i were lucky!

That sounds like when I went from my old Android phone to my 4S.

How do the scaled resolutions look though, because I will probably be using 1920x1200? I know scaling typically looks horrible but on a retina display with way more pixels I doubt it's that bad?

Soldato
That sounds like when I went from my old Android phone to my 4S.

How do the scaled resolutions look though, because I will probably be using 1920x1200? I know scaling typically looks horrible but on a retina display with way more pixels I doubt it's that bad?

I tried 1920x1200, it would be ok for short term use (running virtual machines etc.) but for general usage I would imagine a headache would soon appear. I did not have problems with the way it 'looked' though in terms of scaling. Hard to describe though because, even though the default is much lower than 1200p if you open up a mega sized RAW file, you still see all the detail if you zoom the photo.

Back
Top Bottom