• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best upgrade? Or wait?

Associate
Ive been contemplating upgrading my GPU for a while, I was pretty set on a 290 a while ago but after seeing so many issues ive held off for now.

My current set up

2700k @ 4.4
ASRock extreme3
8gb
Evo 250gb SSD, 2x64gb crucials
Benq xl2411t
570gtx
520w psu

I would ideally like to spend close to £300 as possible, however if there is something really worth getting around £350 then i could stretch to it. A major concern for me is my PSU, a (pretty old) Corsair HX520. Is it up to the job? Will my CPU be a bottleneck for newer cards?

Caporegime
I can't see top end custom 290's being under £350 (Hope I am wrong) for a while (Thank the miners) and nVidia are still expensive as always.

Your budget puts you a little in no mans land (The £300) If you don't mind taking a gamble, you could grab a 290 reference card like this Sapphire

The prices for the other AMD cards are a little high for my liking and not sure it is worth all the extra to what they were 6 months ago.

As for your old HX520, it will be ok but I wouldn't want to push things too hard, as capacitors degrade with age but still should be fine for normal use.

Back
Top Bottom