• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

First time SLI what to expect?

Soldato
Well BF4 and Dayz are currently the most new games I play, BF4 has texture issues with SLI and Crossfire enabled, and Dayz doesn't work (thought it is an early access alpha(but Arma 2 which it is based on didn't work either)).

What are they then? See above.

The only games I play at the moment are BF4, Dayz Alpha, Arma 3, and Dishonored.

Dishonored is the only one that has 0 problems, and I didn't notice any performance increase going from 580 to 690.

I bought a 690 as everyone said microstutter is no issue with SLI onboard vs SLI twinning a pair of cards...wrong I have had microstutter in nearly every game and demo I have played, even Heaven 4 has microstutter issues with SLI enabled.

Should have bought that Titan instead tbh.

You will have issues with the mirrors using SLI in arma3

Associate
Well BF4 and Dayz are currently the most new games I play, BF4 has texture issues with SLI and Crossfire enabled, and Dayz doesn't work (thought it is an early access alpha(but Arma 2 which it is based on didn't work either)).

What are they then? See above.

The only games I play at the moment are BF4, Dayz Alpha, Arma 3, and Dishonored.

Dishonored is the only one that has 0 problems, and I didn't notice any performance increase going from 580 to 690.

I bought a 690 as everyone said microstutter is no issue with SLI onboard vs SLI twinning a pair of cards...wrong I have had microstutter in nearly every game and demo I have played, even Heaven 4 has microstutter issues with SLI enabled.

Should have bought that Titan instead tbh.

Playing dayz now and no micro stutter that I can see

Soldato
OP
Aside from game compatibility issues that may arrise can anyone tell me how it will affect my heat/noise ? Kepler cards throttle at 70c by 13mhz (i know it's not huge) since I'm at upto 64c is this going to push my top card to above 70?

Associate
Well I have just bought another Titan card and under load the top card is about 7c hotter. Unfortunately you can't set individual fan curves for each card. I have oc'd the bottom slightly higher but tbh the power on tap throttling is not a problem.

Caporegime
With gigabyte wf 670's in sli my temps were usually about 72c on the top card and 55c on the bottom one. Being non ref they weren't ideal for sli. Not helped by my case having virtually no front air intake.

Soldato
Dayz alpha is just badly optimised in general me thinks. In the mod, i am getting a playable fps but the stand alone i am getting between 19-30 with a 290x at 1241/1500. Dont have a SLI/Xfire set up to check what the results would be but tbh I think everyone knew dayz was going to be fairly sketchy on release (even though it is a year late :().

Every other game is running beautifully.

I think the direct CU cooler blows air out the case but don't quote me, as its been a long time since i have used air cooling. If your case gets toasty after you put the second card in, take the side panel off and see if temps drop. If they do, better/more air flow will do you some good.

Associate
SLI 660s here and I've had no issues. The only games I've seen it not work on can happily max the game on just one card anyway. I can also only think of 2 or 3 games where this is the case.

On everything it does work on I see something like 90-95% increases in fps. Crysis 3 maxed out at 1200p went from an average of about 30 fps up to almost 60. I've never noticed any stuttering problems at all.

In terms of temperature and noise I'd say the two cards together run a couple of C hotter than the one it's own did and there's no noticeable difference in noise.

Soldato
I agree with TBL to a point. Having had SLI and CF for about 7 years, I can say that most games work well. Usually a new game has problems but then drivers sort that. Some other potential problems with SLI are

1. Games not using 99% GPU usage - usually sorted via upping the quality. To make sure you're getting the most from your setup, consider benching with Heaven or Valley, and this will always use 99% and give you your comparable score.

2. Extra heat inside the case - make sure you think about airflow and plans the placement of fans. Also make sure you clean your case every month

3. Microstutter in games - still happens but not as bad. For example, BF3 stuttered like mad until you played with in-game settings. Googling a game usually helps

Being honest, SLI/CF are not as tricky to use as they were - say - 3 years ago. When I had 6990+6970, I had to play around with settings in BF3 to avoid a stuttering mess.

Have fun

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IT

Soldato
OP
So I went for it! far easier than I thought , Far cry 3 maxed gives me very decent fps yet to try many games out but I'm having issues with BF4 though I expected it, maybe someone can shed some light on the subject?

Playing BF4 suddenly it crashes like it used to with the sound glitch only no sound this time, anyone on teamspeak suddenly sounded like they were a robot and talking in slow motion then everything just hung for a bit till I did a hard restart. Managed all of 5 mins on BF4 again after that then another crash, this time I could hear TS pretty much perfectly but looking at the FPS counter in game it said 1...everything went really slow for a moment then BF4 crashed "Encountered an error blah blah close program" behind that window was an error window telling me my drivers crashed :( Tried with overclocks and stock with varying results it's driving me bonkers!

Also in most of the programs I have run (heaven, farcry 3) my gpu usage is 90-99% on both cards yet on BF4 the usage is all over the place

edit: same thing just happened in Bioshock infinite :( GPU usage was in the 90% range so that was good, all maxed out and getting 200fps (I know stupidly high) Anyway got about 10-15 mins of playtime before the game seemed to grind to a halt opening task manager took about 3mins something that normally takes a second on my rig :/ , everything sounded like it was in slowmo...Is this a sign I DO need an i7?

Last edited:
Associate
I have heard all of the cr*p about SLI by Crossfire fanboys and the opposite by others. All SLI is is a serial interface which operates like an internal hardware network, this is why identical cards are needed for the purpose. I suppose the same happened at first when NAS was introduced, and for some people it still is. Some people buy different cards and wonder why they will not SLI. It is all hardware mapping and timing. after that it is all software controlled.
With the ATI Crossfire you will find that it is all software and very little left to the hardware to control the interface. The interface being ATI's drivers which can be notorious for numerous memory dropouts. Either way both interfaces work considerably better than they used to. Invariably when the O/S used to hang we knew it was the GPU driver that was an issue, but today the default XVGA softboot allows it to boot into the O/S irrespective of which video adapter is queued. The best thing about today's CPU is that it has a video array onboard if your system has issues. Problems with graphic arrays are largely things of the past if you have a new setup you wish to install onto your motherboard stripping out old drivers is not an issue anymore.
In the past people said SATA was rubbish but it is basically an onboard USB with a flag. The flag is the controller which allows the flow of data across its banks. I may sound boring but in reality you know the truth about graphics and instructions are there for a reason, after all you wouldn't expect an iPad to run like a Google tablet and vice-versa. every medium has its preference.
To choose a graphics medium you have to stick to its specifications if using more than one card in series.

Soldato
OP
Did you bother to read any of this thread jeffa seems not :( also what are you on about ??

update!
Benchmarks (firestrike, heaven, 3dmark11) all complete fine with great scores (im thrashing some 290x, 780s, titans and 780ti scores !) yet games seem to like to crash could this be a sign of an unstable overclock?

update update!
Dropping the PCIe lanes to 2.0 , disabling HPET in bios and dropping my OC on my cpu down to 4.4ghz seems to have "fingers crossed" sorted the issue, I'm going to leave the PCIe lanes at gen 2 and figure out if thats what has solved the issue. after hours on google I finally found someone with a similar issue and a Sabertooth z77 mobo, They found dropping the lanes to 2.0 fixed it for them

Last edited:
Associate
Games have an independant graphic flow. Benchmarks often mislead people into believing they have the most brilliant piece of hardware on the planet but as so often it is the working environment they have to work withing that controls them. Sometimes the flashing of a new bios for both the cards could solve an issue with a bios error, or a DX API error could be caused by the operating environment. Steam can cause drops in environment stability. Or it could be a simple sidebus overclock that just doesn't factor into the hardware equation. In your case I would strongly look up the hardware protocols of the operating environment Nvidia has on your cards because it is of little benefit to you to be able to clock it that fast and not have stable operating system.
I see you have 8GB of Corsair LP vengeance memory. The memory is 10600 XMP profile memory and not true 1600MHZ memory. I know because I have the same in my Motherboard. Mind you I don't overclock by much. I clock for efficiency and I have supplemented my Ram with an 8GB stick of Mushkin DDR3 I had from another setup. This stick is 12800 and runs on a single profile of 800MHZ which when profiled in is 1600MHZ.
Look at your hardware very carefully and just because it says it is 1600MHZ ram it is. It clocks at 600MHZ at best thus at double data rate 1200MHZ, using an overclock profile from XMP you will get 1600MHZ.
Your front sidebus is letting you down. The Ram is saying I cant take it any more and crashing its buffers. Not your fault of course you only believed what you were told.

Caporegime
Did you bother to read any of this thread jeffa seems not :( also what are you on about ??

update!
Benchmarks (firestrike, heaven, 3dmark11) all complete fine with great scores (im thrashing some 290x, 780s, titans and 780ti scores !) yet games seem to like to crash could this be a sign of an unstable overclock?

update update!
Dropping the PCIe lanes to 2.0 , disabling HPET in bios and dropping my OC on my cpu down to 4.4ghz seems to have "fingers crossed" sorted the issue, I'm going to leave the PCIe lanes at gen 2 and figure out if thats what has solved the issue. after hours on google I finally found someone with a similar issue and a Sabertooth z77 mobo, They found dropping the lanes to 2.0 fixed it for them
Glad to see your sorted murah, seems a very strange error that one. On z77, (asus p8 z77 v pro) sli worked grand for me straight of the bat, just slotted the second card in and it ran perfectly. Regarding the cpu oc, 4.4ghz is still fine with sli tbh, but perhaps a touch more vcore or system agent voltage may allow you to run your previous oc.

Soldato
OP
final update for now unless i get any more issues ;)

Changing PCIe lanes to 2.0 , HPET enabled in bios (Might not be enabled in OS though need to check that) and CPU at 4.6ghz again.. Bioshock doesn't seem to be crashing! Have not managed to get on BF4 yet but hopefully that will work as well.
GPU usage in farcry3 and Bioshock infinite is in the 90% range usually around 95-99% :)

To combat the heat I have dropped the memory overclocks on both cards to stock till I can get some solution figured out Top card is hitting 70c and throttling slightly but its a non issue and the twins look beautiful together, I can see why some people said SLI is a bit of a headache but worth it once your up and running (Maxing far cry 3 and 80-100fps scene depending, 1 card could only manage 45-59)

Thanks for all the help everyone :)

Caporegime
I personally wouldnt worry about the throttling, 70c is pretty good for a top card in sli. Your board spacing is similair to the pro i had which really helps, my current board wasnt just as good tbh. A side fan if your case can take one might help a bit, tbh even at stock speed i found sli'd 670's to run grand, yours being 4gb cards will fare even better.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I have a plan to mount 2x 120mm fans on a bracket in front of the cards, taking the fresh intake from the 200mm front fan and feeding it directly over and between both cards, should do it wonders :)

Back
Top Bottom