The FA CUP Third Round - 4/5/7 January 2014 *** Spoilers ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Very comfortable win today even when down to 10 men they didn't really trouble us. Thought Walcott looked very effective up front, always available and closing down throughout. Was unlucky not to get a goal too.

Soldato
As the BBC says

There will probably be those who condemn him, but at some point football fans will realise that if a non-sweary gesture is the worst you get after screaming abuse at someone in their workplace, you are fortunate really.

If he gets a punished its a joke

Associate
Good win and I almost feel sorry for spurs who couldn't even score against 10 men Arsenal. I'm glad the true Adebayor played today, he didn't look awfully interested in the game, much like most of his time at Arsenal and Man City

Maybe it's just me who thought Walcott consistently screwed up chances all game, was rubbish, went off "injured".... I can't think of a time I've seen a player need to go off injured who is smiling and mocking the opposition fans, while also getting the guys carrying him off the field pelted by coins.

I can't stand Walcott's attitude, he plays crap, leaves the pitch pretending to be injured and acts like he's the best. 8 shots, 2 on target for Walcott, 3 or 4 of those he was through on goal 1 on 1 with the keeper and fluffed each and every one.

Be happy for a win but I think you'd find a Drogba or Henry really angry in a game like this 8 shots and not scoring, particularly with the chances he got gifted. They'd be angry about their performances and neither would go off like that with probably no injury at all, they'd be fighting to get their goal till either subbed or the last second.

Not sure I agree with you, his chances were hardly clear cut or 1 on 1 with the keeper the same way Rosicky's was. The left footed effort in 1st half was going in but for the deflection, and he created the space for the shot himself. He made good runs, including the one for Santi's goal. Heck, even Roy Keane was impressed with Theo's play today, one of the commentators mentioned him when they were talking about man of the match. I think only thing he could've done better was pulling it back for Cazorla ( or was it Monreal ) early in the 1st half when instead he went for a shot, but again he created the chance.
He got trampled on, smashed in the ribs and got his studs caught in the grass making that tackle and I think did hurt his knee. He would've taken excessive abuse from the spurs fans who surely thought he was cheating and time wasting, I think we can be glad it was him and not Wilshere who was down there as Wilshere's gesture would not have been so kind.

I've not always been Walcott's biggest fan but since coming back recently he's had good purpose to his play and offered a goal threat,

Caporegime
Good win and I almost feel sorry for spurs who couldn't even score against 10 men Arsenal. I'm glad the true Adebayor played today, he didn't look awfully interested in the game, much like most of his time at Arsenal and Man City

Not sure I agree with you, his chances were hardly clear cut or 1 on 1 with the keeper the same way Rosicky's was. The left footed effort in 1st half was going in but for the deflection, and he created the space for the shot himself. He made good runs, including the one for Santi's goal. Heck, even Roy Keane was impressed with Theo's play today, one of the commentators mentioned him when they were talking about man of the match. I think only thing he could've done better was pulling it back for Cazorla ( or was it Monreal ) early in the 1st half when instead he went for a shot, but again he created the chance.
He got trampled on, smashed in the ribs and got his studs caught in the grass making that tackle and I think did hurt his knee. He would've taken excessive abuse from the spurs fans who surely thought he was cheating and time wasting, I think we can be glad it was him and not Wilshere who was down there as Wilshere's gesture would not have been so kind.

I've not always been Walcott's biggest fan but since coming back recently he's had good purpose to his play and offered a goal threat,

He had some excellent chances, he decided to take I think 2 shots stupidly early. He's the fastest man on earth, well some commentators would have you believe that, one particular chance he was basically in line with the last defender but there was probably 10 yards between them, he was already running and decided to take the shot from outside the box, tamely, when he had a massive amount of space to run in to and no defender in the way yet.

90% of strikers wouldn't shoot from that distance with that much space to run in to, the only strikers who would have shot would be those with big power, a Hasselbaink style thunder *******... Theo does not have that in his bag at all. He had 8 shots, some fantastic positions, he had at least one proper one on one, and at least 2-3 others that should have been one on one if he didn't shoot early for no reason or make entirely the wrong choice.

He was poor today, and as I said, I've never seen a player badly enough injured to go off sitting up smiling on a stretcher. Again as I said, Henry/Drogba/Suarez would all have only gone off it really hurt, hell, those three players would likely have carried on hurt if they'd scored 2 and were on a hat-trick, let alone 8 shots and no goals. His attitude stinks, he goes down easily, stays down, goes off without any fight and acts like he's god despite having a shocking game.

Spurs should have been on the end of another 5-0 thrashing today, the difference is Aguero, Suarez and Walcott being utterly awful in comparison. I don't think Suarez or Aguero had difficulty against Spurs , they were gifted chance after chance. I think Arsenal had to work a bit more for their chances, but not much more, but Walcott Spur-ned chance after chance after chance.

Spurs did not have a good game, they weren't tactically inept as AVB had them, but they aren't used to playing this way and have a very injury hit squad. If they play as poorly in 18 months then Sherwood isn't the right guy(but then neither was he hyped as the second coming, backed hugely nor given a monster wage).

Soldato
My Cliff Notes on the game:

We weren't that good but still won, and even when we had 10 men at the end I didn't feel much in the way of the usual dread that we'd conspire to chuck it away. Keeping another clean sheet was nice, more injuries weren't nice.

Caporegime
Soldato
I think it's totally disrespectful. The FA cup was/is a chance for lower league teams to face bigger opposition. The same way that PL league clubs see the CL. I'm pretty sure clubs were fined for fielding weaker sides. Maybe the only answer is that CL clubs don't participate in the domestic cup competitions it were that unimportant. Failing that, they shouldn't be allowed to field players in the later stages (SEMI and FINAL) that didn't make and appearance in the earlier rounds.

Agree, particularly disrespectful to the fans, ask any Wigan fan if they would rather survive Pl or win a once in a lifetime cup competition. Trophies mean everything to a club's history not whether you finished top 4 20 times in a row...

Spot on! It is sad that it's all about staying in the money league but I'm glad we won the cup even though we went down..

Soldato
Lol'd again.

ibmKUvCHNBmcRO.gif

Permabanned
you want to avoid andy townsend that bad that you're streaming this?

Some of the foreign commentary is epic! The Townsend thing is just a bonus.

+ the Mrs was watching some **** downstairs so I retreated.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I should be confident today as on paper we should beat Oldham but I reckon Rodgers will start aspas and some under 21s and it's going to backfire :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom