Rear end sliding out?

Soldato
Hi Motors,

I have a slight problem. Yesterday, whilst going around a round about at a normal speed, the rear end of the car slid around and scared the bajesus out of me. I wasn't going fast. It was a damp road, but it's the first time it's happened. The tyres all look fairly decent. Since that time, some corners that I go around, it feels like the rear end wants to slide out, like it is sliding a tiny bit.

Any ideas what this could be? If it was just the roundabout incident, I would have thought it was just aquaplaning or fuel on the road. But as I feel it fairly regularly, I'm a bit worried - especially as I have a 5 hour motorway journey to do in a few days.

Mk1 focus, 1999

Thanks

Man of Honour
Sometimes it can just happen.

No, it cannot. There is absolutely no reason why the rear end of an FWD car driven completely normally in normal non-extreme conditions with quality tyres all round and good condition suspension should 'sometimes just' step out.

There must be some sort of issue with the car - I'm going for crappy tyres on the rear.

Soldato
As above, check tyre pressures and suspension alignment.

It is likely you are lifting off the throttle mid corner, due to your corner entry speed being too high. Slow in fast out.

What tyres do you actually have. Its been cold lately, and your description of the tyres 'looking fairly decent' doesn't fill me with confidence

Associate
Cold slippery roads, cold tyres and cornering too fast for the conditions. Take your time when its this cold, cant drive like its the summer now.

Soldato
OP
Thanks all, much appreciated. I guess I might have slowed a little in the corner, would that cause it?

A friend mentioned a scary word - "bushings" - might this be a cause, or is he talking rubbish like usual?

Soldato
Of its that noticeable and you have low profile tyres you'll probably find one is particularly low - check pressures in the first instance, also as above what make are your tyres?

Bushes can make the back end feel saggy but if it actually steps out they are unlikely to be the root cause

Last edited:
Associate
Roundabouts can often have deposits of diesel on them from cornering trucks which have been carelessly filled or poor sealing tanks, combined with a throttle lift could be the reason.
If tyres/pressures are ok then it may just be that particular roundabout, is there a fuel station nearby?

Soldato
OP
I did the tyre pressures to within a couple PSI of the max a few weeks ago (they were about 14psi from the max before that, and certainly haven't gone down as far as a visual check can tell) so I think the tyre pressures are fine. Especially as I didn't have this problem before the air pressure increase, or the month after..

Caporegime
As already said, diesel on the road combined with damp conditions makes this entirely possible, Christ I've experienced the same thing in both car and truck (which isn't particularly prone to stepping out!)

Man of Honour
Lifting off and braking can cause the rear to lighten up and come round, but sounds in your situation that either the tyres are naff or the geo is badly set up.

Getting the rear out is fun though :D

Soldato
OP
I shall go let them down to 32psi, as I have just discovered I should listen to the car manufacturer's recommendation, and not just pump them right up. Thanks guys.

As for the rest, I shall be careful around corners. I have a long trip to do tomorrow. I might go for a "free tyre check" at kwik fit first thing tomorrow morning?

Soldato
OP
Well the rear tyres look like they have loads of tread on them

20140105_190855.jpg

20140105_190906.jpg

20140105_190914.jpg

20140105_190928.jpg

So I have deflated to around 32ish (as best I can with the compressor here), and will ensure I drive better (slow in, fast out).

Shouldn't worry about anything else until I notice more problems?

Soldato
Do you know the tyre size? I'm guessing something like 195/55/15 if it's a boggo focus. In which case 37/38 will be pretty high (though it shouldn't make the car behave all that skittish....42 might though) - somewhere around 30-32 feels about right but you'll have a sticker either on your drivers door B pillar or sometimes in the fuel filler cover to tell you what they should be.

What brand of tyre are they? The tread itself is fine, a good 6/7mm+ on them from the photos

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom