Today, DSC failed me!

Soldato
Possible, but DSC will switch off CC if it detects anything approaching slip.

Supposedly, but I still managed to lose control of my 5 series whilst using cruise control in the rain. Whether the DSC cut in and turned it off at some point I'm not sure but it didn't do much to stop me fishtailing between 2 lanes of a (luckily quiet) dual carriageway.

Caporegime
The rears are about 6-7000 miles of, I guess 4-5mm at least, the copper on the scene checked them and wasn't remotely concerned so I'm confident in the roadworthiness of the car.

The breakaway was instant not like a small dive followed by a tank slapping driving fail, it whipped me straight off the road, having notched up another mega stint in another s2k I'm reasonably keen to point out I've experienced most things on the road. I've also done nearly 20k in the z4 already :)

Sounds like the amount of water overloaded the tyres water capacity and it aqua planed. No DSC will save that.

It wasn't really a cement on road worthiness as even legal tyres can have poor water shifting performance if they are low on tread and relatively wide

Soldato
Doing 70 in the conditons you describe sounds a bit like a accident waiting to happen. Oh wait....

Did 80-85 all the way home on Sunday Evening. (Penzance to Cheltenham). **** my pants a few times due to the flooding but nothing that made the car "let go" and I don't have ABS, DSC, EBD or any other nanny technology to keep me pointed in the right direction.

BMW Driver error I reckon :p ;)

Good to hear you are OK though Will.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Not blaming BMW drivers or anything but I seen two of them crashed this morning on the M74.

Seen a few crashes around Cornwall (A30) last week too, I'd assume too many people thinking their invincible to the conditions.

Soldato
Not blaming BMW drivers or anything but I seen two of them crashed this morning on the M74.

Seen a few crashes around Cornwall (A30) last week too, I'd assume too many people thinking their invincible to the conditions.

Totally agree. I think most people believe in the sales/image hype of their car (not just BMWs but Audi etc) You see plenty of people driving the same style in winter as they do in summer. Braking hard, accelerating hard, tail gating.

It's still a spot welded metal box as the end of the day regardless of how fancy and high tech they think it is.

Man of Honour
It just proves that physics > DSC. Go too fast, and even DSC won't help.

However, I know Will well, and I know his driving - I do not know the conditions however.... Needless to say it was just a bit of talent running out, and perhaps maybe just going a little bit too fast for the conditions ;) Nah, I know you hit a puddle of standing water - you know I love you babes x

Anyway bro, I'm glad you're okay! I want you in one piece for the wedding!

Soldato
Will - What road is that? I recognise it but can't place it! You taking it to one of the slightly more 'up the line' ocean bmw places I'm guessing and not the Falmouth one/

Don
OP
It just proves that physics > DSC. Go too fast, and even DSC won't help.

However, I know Will well, and I know his driving - I do not know the conditions however.... Needless to say it was just a bit of talent running out, and perhaps maybe just going a little bit too fast for the conditions ;) Nah, I know you hit a puddle of standing water - you know I love you babes x

Anyway bro, I'm glad you're okay! I want you in one piece for the wedding!

xxx :cool:

I was definitely going too fast for the conditions, I know that because the 318 touring on the inside lane didnt come dancing with me on the grass, lesson learnt well and truly :)

Man of Honour
Did 80-85 all the way home on Sunday Evening. (Penzance to Cheltenham). **** my pants a few times due to the flooding

What a driving hero you are. When the conditions are terrible there is always the odd person flying past at 85, I always think how brave and heroric these people are :rolleyes:

Soldato
Yeah I did 500 miles Cornwall to Edinburgh on Friday in partly similar conditions and there were some really nasty lakes on the A30. Between Launceston and Exeter (only about 40 miles) I saw three seperate single vehicles in the hedges that all looked to have done exactly the same as Will.

Associate
I was on the m25 last night and went over a patch of rather deep water going across the whole road and though that could be nasty at a higher speed, then suddenly saw everyone slamming on their break in front of me and changing lane as a car had obviously hit the water lost control and hit the central reservation. Their car was sat in the middle lane of the m25 completely unlit. Scared the hell out of me and most the other cars around me as everyone drove off considerably slower afterwards.

Caporegime
Any car will aquaplane if it hits standing water fast enough, it about being aware of the limits. Limits depend on many factors, both tyre and vehicle.

Not much you can do about it either, other than not steer. Although this is difficult if you aquaplane mid corner.

In this wet weather is quite nice having 4 almost new F1AS2s on, they really are awesome in water.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;25611956 said:
What a driving hero you are. When the conditions are terrible there is always the odd person flying past at 85, I always think how brave and heroric these people are :rolleyes:

Of course, I was invincible with my mud and snows on :D :p

The 145/70/13's cut through the puddles rather well actually and with that bloody great bit of cast iron over the drive wheels all was well.

I had to stop at Bridgewater services mind, 120% concentration for that long was :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
Glad to see you're alright Will.

Nice attempt at getting car spinning into the Olympics, but I doubt the IOC are particularly interested in having you winning and being let loose live on the air with your 'game rage tourettes' :D

Soldato
Lightweight cars with wide, low profile tyres are more prone to aquaplaning.

DSC can't work when the car is essentially floating on water!

Glad you are OK.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom