*** The Official Astronomy & Universe Thread ***

Soldato
I have put off buying a new scope until later in the year now, didn't want to rush out and buy any old scope, gives me plenty of time to save for a really good one which i will appreciate and have lots of fun next winter:)

Soldato
I have put off buying a new scope until later in the year now, didn't want to rush out and buy any old scope, gives me plenty of time to save for a really good one which i will appreciate and have lots of fun next winter:)

Good thinking, what are you after?

I just received a 10mm TV Delos eyepiece, haven't tried it yet ,

Permabanned
What winds me up is all these meteors that supposedly hit all the planets and moons etc millions of years ago... Yet now, not a thing! How can that happen? Surely we should still be getting hit?

Soldato
What winds me up is all these meteors that supposedly hit all the planets and moons etc millions of years ago... Yet now, not a thing! How can that happen? Surely we should still be getting hit?

We do get hit, all the time, luckily they are all small, but if something big comes along then we're in trouble.

Soldato
I've recently picked up an old Tal-1 scope from the 1980s. I've stripped it down, cleaned and reassembled everything. It is now preforming excellently! Really pleased :D

Looking forward to Stargazing Live tomorrow.

Man of Honour
dxki.jpg

This stunning picture of a passenger aircraft flying across a full moon was the result of a piece of lucky timing for Shropshire photographer Jonathan Hughes.
“I was out in the back garden and had put my camera on to a telescope,” he said.
Mr Hughes sent the photo to Star Witness, Shropshirestar.com's showcase for reader photos, where contributers are in for a £100 monthly prize. For more details visit shropshirestar.com/starwitness

http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2014/01/06/star-witness-stunning-shot-of-plane-on-the-moon/

Man of Honour

This sequence from the X-ray Telescope aboard NASA's Swift shows changes in the central region of the Milky Way galaxy from 2006 through 2013. Watch for flares from binary systems containing a neutron star or black hole and the changing brightness of Sgr A* (center), the galaxy's monster black hole

Soldato
'Orbit: Earth's Extraordinary Journey' 4am 9th jan

Right now you're hurtling around the sun at 64,000 miles an hour (100,000 kms an hour). In the next year you'll travel 584 million miles, to end up back where you started.

Presenters Kate Humble and Dr Helen Czerski follow the Earth's voyage around the sun for one complete orbit, to witness the astonishing consequences this journey has for us all.

It seems it's been on before but I've never seen it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01h8n9m/Orbit_Earths_Extraordinary_Journey/

Man of Honour

Beginning with a wide view, this video zooms in through ground-based imagery to the Hubble and Magellan composite image of Messier 83, ending on Hubble's view. Messier 83 is a barred spiral galaxy that has hosted a remarkable number of supernova explosions, and appears to have a double nucleus at its core.

Back
Top Bottom