NAS Recommendations

Soldato
I have a qnap at home and synology at work, prefer the synology because of the time backup app. Its spot on with incremental backups and the qnap just doest seem to have a comparable solution which is franky nuts.

Soldato
Considering those hps with cash back can be had for £125-130 and free to use XPEnology, technically they are 2ghz+ AMD dual cores with 4 bays with 4tb hdd support with a modded bios I hear.... and you can convert cd drive bay with a 5th hdd if one wanted... 25watt cpu so very low and efficient...

talked myself into it lol

:D

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113 may help you :)

Associate
My advice would be to build your own.

Ready Nas's and similar are rubbish if your using it for media as your going to be transferring and streaming large files. Obviously if you go for an expensive unit such as a synology or qnap the speed goes up to around 60-70mb I believe which is better.

However I wasn't happy with that and wanted to saturate my Gb network so I built my own box using a chenbro es34169 and a i3 530 in a zotac H55 mini itx board and 8GB of ram. You can build something far better for less money and with the new freenas you can install plugins such as plex server, transmission for torrent downloads and various other things including a personal cloud plugin.

I'm actually transferring 5TB to my NAS now at 95-104MB/s :)

Associate
OP
Really? I don't mind giving it a go but don't know what I need to look for. Would this be a server?
Would I be able to configure it for secure access over the internet? Would I be able to access it from XBOX 360 and tablets?

Man of Honour
I have no trouble pulling a file down from my QNAP at ~100MByte/s when using gigabit (aslong as every part of the chain is capable of handling the speeds).

Back
Top Bottom