2013 Haswell Retina MacBook Pro...

Soldato
Ordered a 13" 2.6Ghz / 16Gb / 512Mb on Wednesday through HE Discount through my uni. Dispatched and should be here on Monday :)

I used the same QuidCo trick (although using the direct link to my uni's page instead of Open University) and QuidCo have just tracked it now, so it look 3 days or so. Brings my total discount upto around 16.5%!

Roll on Monday!

Associate
Mine dispatched too, woo hoo!

It's a bit unclear, but the tracking info seems to be saying it's currently in Hinkley, which isn't far from where I live, so there might be an outside chance of getting it tomorrow, but I doubt they'll try to deliver on a Saturday.

Caporegime
They certainly might try to deliver on Saturday :).

& I think I'll go for a 13" as it's slightly more mobile for Uni! :) need to get it ordered at some point soon and get a Goruck ordered too!

Associate
I really hope they do. Tracking now says 'out for delivery' and it's reached Tamworth which is only 25 miles from me. Knowing my luck though it will sit in Tamworth until Monday :(

Associate
I've never used Quidco, how does it work?

You basically just create a Quidco account and then whenever you buy anything online, if you navigate through Quidco, you get a discount, usually a few percent. It doesn't cost anything. They just take £5 out of your 'tracked' money as a one time thing, then everything else is yours to keep.

My Quidco just tracked for my rMBP. Only £25, but still worth the effort.

Associate
3rd time today i've got to the buy now bit on a rMBP. **** the bed again at the last minute, that finance deals just too good. thing is, it would only be getting used when in bed and the odd time away, slightly OTT for a casual bedtime browse. Will save up and possibly see again around refresh time.

Associate
Just took delivery of my rMBP. Really happy so far, and this is my first real experience with OSX.

It's such a well-made piece of kit. No flex, no rough edges, nothing. And the screen is excellent. The scaled resolutions aren't blurry at all, so this is the ideal laptop for me because I wanted a very portable laptop with an IPS screen and lots of space on-screen to work with (i.e. having documents side by side and things like that).

It's probably gonna take me a while to get used to the OS, coming from Win 7, but I like the look of it so far. It feels like it's more well thought out than Windows OS's and less 'traditional'. I.e. everything does what it does, and is where it is, for a logical reason, not just because 'that's how it's always been'. I also like that stuff like Pages and Keynote come free with the OS. Makes way more sense than charging for such basic functionality, as MS does.

Soldato
Grrr. Just realised that the SD slot on the rMBP is shallower than that of my old MBP. Which means my compact micro SD adapter (like a Nifty Drive thing) which was pretty much sat flush in my MBP, now sticks out in the rMBP.

First world problems.

Permabanned
OP
Just took delivery of my rMBP. Really happy so far, and this is my first real experience with OSX.

It's such a well-made piece of kit. No flex, no rough edges, nothing. And the screen is excellent. The scaled resolutions aren't blurry at all, so this is the ideal laptop for me because I wanted a very portable laptop with an IPS screen and lots of space on-screen to work with (i.e. having documents side by side and things like that).

It's probably gonna take me a while to get used to the OS, coming from Win 7, but I like the look of it so far. It feels like it's more well thought out than Windows OS's and less 'traditional'. I.e. everything does what it does, and is where it is, for a logical reason, not just because 'that's how it's always been'. I also like that stuff like Pages and Keynote come free with the OS. Makes way more sense than charging for such basic functionality, as MS does.

Don't forget to use mission control to add more desktops when required.

Soldato
Grrr. Just realised that the SD slot on the rMBP is shallower than that of my old MBP. Which means my compact micro SD adapter (like a Nifty Drive thing) which was pretty much sat flush in my MBP, now sticks out in the rMBP.

First world problems.

I was looking at getting a PNY StorEdge but this has the same problem on the new MBPs.

I'm hoping a new solution becomes available soon. I'm not getting my hopes up though.

Associate
Hi guys,

I've got lucky in that I can choose a laptop for business and I am going to get a Macbook Pro 13 inch retina; however just wanted some opinions on the SSD size?

How much of the 128gb is actually usable after OS etc? With it being business files mainly and very little of anything else would this be sufficient storage?

Cheers

Associate
Quick question about the battery on these rMBPs. Is it a good idea to run the battery down to 0% every once in a while?

The Apple site seems to suggest this ('Apple recommends charging and discharging its battery at least once per month'), but I've heard other people say it's a bad idea to run it down to below 20%.

Associate
Has anyone else got a creaking from the bottom case where it looks like the screw isn't tightened up enough? I think I am going to have to take mine back as it's really annoying when picking the laptop up.

Back
Top Bottom