Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
OCZ lost 95% of its value in 3 months, counting todays rise. Volume today is 1/3 average so not that much confidence apparently. Market cap 5m.
Have they pulled a rabbit from the hat

Are any of you lot consistently beating the FTSE100?

In Bloomberg Magazine's list of the 100 top performing large hedgefunds, only 19 had beat the $SPX through their calculated period...

Im not, I have way too many mining shares which are entirely pointless in the last year if not always unprofitable.

Questor likes cineworld I think from the new 3D screenings. I'd also doubt it because its reliant on free cash from consumers but its done well apparently.
The shares volume is stronger then ever, one of those gravity defying plays I rarely cotton onto

Associate
OCZ lost 95% of its value in 3 months, counting todays rise. Volume today is 1/3 average so not that much confidence apparently. Market cap 5m.

Im not, I have way too many mining shares which are entirely pointless in the last year if not always unprofitable.

Questor likes cineworld I think from the new 3D screenings. I'd also doubt it because its reliant on free cash from consumers but its done well apparently.
The shares volume is stronger then ever, one of those gravity defying plays I rarely cotton onto

Bought it into Cineworld at around 215p almost exactly 3 years ago, circa 5% dividend and 100% growth in share price. :D

One

One

Soldato

So do you do it for the fun of doing it then, rather than an sgnificant gain on your investment? I put an amount per month into a FTSE All-Share tracker which has very minimal fees and my aim is long term growth which is typical of the stock market over a long term (so long as my term doesn't end just after a collapse :p). I also have the F&C Global Smaller Companies which seem to consistently be better than the FTSE. http://goo.gl/cYo66w

Caporegime
So 2013 was pretty good for most, except my AIM lemons which have done crap. Big lesson learnt there about sticking to the big safe bets like AV. and VOD. and also having spare cash for opportinities

But whats the next ones, annoyed i didnt get into the following (didnt have cash spare) SL. TCG (Thomas Cook) at 113p or TW. at 50p. SL. was about 170p then they annouced that 14p special divi and now they are 370 :(

It will be interesting to see what happens with Vodafone's share price after the Verizon deal.

Associate
Taylor Wimpey and Barratts report to the market next week so should be interesting to see how much has already been priced in and what there results are.

Looks like it will be feb before we will know if any of them are restarting a decent dividend.

Tempted to buy Barratts on monday...

Going to be very difficult to work out when any of the house builders are starting to look expensive given so much government support until late 2015, and help to buy is adding more potential buyers to a market which is already not producing enough houses.

Last edited:
Associate
I myself was stuck between Barratts and TW last week, considered Paragon also.

In the end went for TW due to the cheaper share price. So far they have risen close to 5% so hoping they keep going strong!

What day will the TW and Barrats report be out next week?

Edit: Completely forgot but bought some in Redrow also, but not convinced on them yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
What are peoples plans for Vodaphone/Verizone shares when the 'Return Of Value' takes place? And how would such a transaction affect share prices?

9b94sJV.png
Czxgj3r.png
Lj5vZMu.png

Associate
What are peoples plans for Vodaphone/Verizone shares when the 'Return Of Value' takes place? And how would such a transaction affect share prices?

9b94sJV.png
Czxgj3r.png
Lj5vZMu.png

Vodafone share price will drop by the amount of distributed cash, I think it was 122p or something. At the same time, they will do a consolidation (2:1), so you will hold the same number of shares, but they are worth half of what they are now.

As for the dividend/verizon shares, I haven't decided yet.. I might keep the Verizons for later, as selling such a small amount of shares is expensive. If you wait, they pay a healthy dividend, and if they drop later, you can double your holding. That's of course if you believe that Verizon is a good investment in the first place. I think it's alright.

Soldato
My next door neighbour who worked in bank (not that it makes a difference ) worked out that when this offer was first published and we got the package, that the share price on that day and figures VOD were quoting I will be £50 worse off.

Since the package came I have seen nothing in financial press to give anyone a helping hand on which way to vote or any figures on what small punter could expect - I have this feeling us small investors will as usual get shafted.

I hope someone can convince me otherwise.

Dave

ps Make posted while I was one finger typing - Are you sure we get 2 for one - that is not how I read it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Vodafone share price will drop by the amount of distributed cash, I think it was 122p or something. At the same time, they will do a consolidation (2:1), so you will hold the same number of shares, but they are worth half of what they are now.

As for the dividend/verizon shares, I haven't decided yet.. I might keep the Verizons for later, as selling such a small amount of shares is expensive. If you wait, they pay a healthy dividend, and if they drop later, you can double your holding. That's of course if you believe that Verizon is a good investment in the first place. I think it's alright.

My next door neighbour who worked in bank (not that it makes a difference ) worked out that when this offer was first published and we got the package, that the share price on that day and figures VOD were quoting I will be £50 worse off.

Since the package came I have seen nothing in financial press to give anyone a helping hand on which way to vote or any figures on what small punter could expect - I have this feeling us small investors will as usual get shafted.

Dave

ps Make posted while I was one finger typing - Are you sure we get 2 for one - that is not how I read it.

Thanks for shedding some light guys.

I found the letter above to be quite cryptic, I wouldn't say I've completely got my head in the sand when it comes to investments but am relatively inexperienced when it comes to shares.

So we can expect:

A special dividend - circa 122p (give or take)
Vodafone share price to drop by the special dividend value
Vodafone to issue 2:1
Acquisition of Verizon shares to do with as we wish.

Just so it's clear!:)

Associate

Dave

Yeah. But the point is, the share price will drop by the amount of cash they distribute, just like in dividend. So right now, if it's 230, and they distribute 122, the share price will be 108. It doesn't matter whether you have 200 shares worth 108p, or 400 shares worth 54p. The total value would still be the same, such as £216.

Share splits and consolidations do not affect the share price in any way!

In essence, we get half of vodafone's value in cash/shares, which can then be re-invested, spent, or saved in a bank. It's the same for privates and institutions.

I pulled the figures out of thin air just to demonstrate. This is how I understand it. I am not a financial advisor so do not take this as fact.

What do we gain from this you might ask? The way I see it, Vodafone gets rid of a business they have no control of, and the share price has gone up from like 170 to the current ~230 due to the proceedings. As far as I understand it, you can have the same benefit by selling about. half of your holding today.

Associate
Thanks for shedding some light guys.

I found the letter above to be quite cryptic, I wouldn't say I've completely got my head in the sand when it comes to investments but am relatively inexperienced when it comes to shares.

So we can expect:

A special dividend - circa 122p (give or take)
Vodafone share price to drop by the special dividend value
Vodafone to issue 2:1
Acquisition of Verizon shares to do with as we wish.

Just so it's clear!:)

Indeed, the amount of money in the bank will be the same as now, just soem of it will be cash, verizon shares, and vod shares, when previously it was just vod shares :)

Again this is how I understand it.

Associate
It presents a good opportunity to buy in to VOD or to increase holdings further, on the face of it at least.

Well, the price is the same anyway in reality.. but if you do think VOD is a good investment in the future, it's best to wait until after the proceedings so you don't end up with half of your purchase cashed back with some random Verizon shares on top :)

VOD has been good to me so far, so personally I will probably end up buying back shares with the amount of cash I get. After all, I am a dividend investor, and VOD has a commitment/good history in that regard.

Soldato
So do you do it for the fun of doing it then, rather than an sgnificant gain on your investment? I put an amount per month into a FTSE All-Share tracker which has very minimal fees
Yes fun I guess but also I do think I can beat the average and it shouldnt be that hard to do if the big decision is made right.
So that'd be the correct sector, no banks in 2008

I did all share for almost a decade but I took a greater interest because I think the mainstream 'herd' is wrong.
So no bonds now, Intel and Apple are creating (fixed) debt to buy shares or issue a dividend. Thats clever so I support it, does the share price make me rich - not massively so this year but gains from good actions wont occur at once

Gold mines will more then double, you will be sick of hearing about them sometime but right now can they stay solvent is a maybe. I try not to be a bug about it though, it could be they go all broke but in probability I reckon 1000% is more likely on average.
Look at the extremes true right now, this is a unique time in history and even into the next century I dont think what will happen next could occur again. Tracking that, could be like a barrel over a waterfall at least I reckon anyway; Im going to take the stairs :p

Miners YTD qCcvfzr.png

Mortgage contract failures were broadcast on ITV a few years beforehand. (before people thought it any concequence)
My main point is self determination should be a plus as I just not taken action previously thinking others would for me. In 2000 BT was a sell, fairly obvious to me but I didnt force a sale through (I dont have them directly) which is a bit of shame. However in 2008 autumn I sold all the banks on a day ftse rose 10% however some weeks later I bought some back, way too early so I might just do that mistake again but I tend to scale into positions a lot more now so hopefully not. I got an account that deals for me at 50p so no reason to lump it together.
Gold miners falling so badly is a good example of why thats a killer not to consider markets gradually

In the end went for TW due to the cheaper share price.
Do you mean PE, the price itself wont really give a clue. RBS switched 20 to 200 because perception matters but otherwise, I think TW might be slightly larger

I also have the F&C Global Smaller Companies which seem to consistently be better than the FTSE

FT 250 is better then 100 also, seems to do much better but also more risky.

Last edited:
Associate
A few newspapers tipping Quindell, anyone have any thoughts?

The sunday times article was certainly very positive towards it but its an interesting one alright. Put a bit of money on it this morning and its paid off my commission so far. Hopefully the news tomorrow is positive. GBX50 would be some leap if it goes as the editor predicts

Back
Top Bottom