Weird neighbour keeps moving our pram.

Jay

Jay

Associate
[FnG]magnolia;25660162 said:
Common sense is fine if both parties are in agreement that 'x' makes sense. When 'x' does not make sense to both parties then you end up with this situation which is why, as Housey has detailed in superb fashion, we have housing lease agreements.

I agree with Housey if the circumstance is that the pram is left for long periods of time.

I originally read it was 20 minute periods.

Soldato
I really don't understand some people... If it wasn't in your way - what would be your problem exactly?

If it wasn't hurting anything or anyone. What would be the problem?

Fair enough it might be a communal area and written in the lease... Apart from being anal, what would be your reasons?

Permabanned
I'm not sure what all the fuss is about, but if you sign a lease and it states not to leave stuff like prams in communal areas then you should abide by the lease you signed or find a property that has terms you can live by and suits your current needs better instead.

Personally this is why I don't live in leaseholds or communal property. I like to do what I want when I want rather than abide to what everyone else wants too much.

Each to their own, OP it seems like you have outgrown your flat and perhaps something more suitable for a young family might be worth looking into?

Soldato
I really don't understand some people... If it wasn't in your way - what would be your problem exactly?

If it wasn't hurting anything or anyone. What would be the problem?

Fair enough it might be a communal area and written in the lease... Apart from being anal, what would be your reasons?

Its a fire exit.

Fill the place with smoke and fire, do you really want to encourage people to leave, buggies and bicycles and other items in doorways.

...our pram around which I take downstairs every morning and leave next to the front door of the building, on the inside of the security door. ....

we thought it was a cleaner or someone needing to move something large through the hallway, but then it happened a few more times....

Which suggests its narrowing the doorway, not a lot but enough to have an effect.

Man of Honour
Its a fire exit.

Fill the place with smoke and fire, do you really want to encourage people to leave, buggies and bicycles and other items in doorways.

Which suggests its narrowing the doorway, not a lot but enough to have an effect.

And that is another issue which so many people are utter oblivious too, because they are naive (I hate using such a condescending word, but sometimes it is appropriate based on a few of the posts on this thread).

Let's take you example. If a fire happens and the pram blocks and exit who is liable? Well I will tell you, the leaseholder and their managing agent for not enforcing the lease! That means if they can prove negligence you are going to get bummed. This is why you have a Limited company with insurances and why we have to enforce the lease.

That tree looks fine, we have no issue with it so won't get it checked again as we had an arborist check it recently. Next day it falls down and takes out a fence. This EXECT situation happened last year. Imagine if that tree had killed a child..

Again we are looking at extremes here but THIS is what a leaseholder has to consider and enforce when neighbours use the "I don't see the problem mate".

Soldato
Communication is key.

If someone does something for genuine reasons and they had no malicious intent behind their actions, while they may not be in the right, you can probably see the reasons behind what they did. If another person comes along and isn't happy with something someone else has done, as apparent in this situation, there is a helpful and unhelpful way to go about it. Taking an approach like Robgmuns, it's not something I would consider helpful, and even a particular nice thing to do in fact.

If someone does something you're not happy with, talk to them about it. It is at that stage, you have the opportunity to get to know how reasonable one may be, and what actions you may need to take thereafter.

Edit: Also, the neighbors were broken into a few months ago, so I had to put a London Bar on the door and new stronger locks, since they just forced the security door and flat door in. The burglars even walked past our door to get to the neighbours whilst my wife and son were at home.

A recent break-in and you leave your pram unattended every morning :confused:

The guy should have just phone/contacted management rather than moving your pram.

Its a fair bet you signed an agreement stating that nothing should be left in the communal area so you have no argument and are in breech of your tenancy. Sounds such a minor thing but when health and safety/liability issues are concerned there's no middle ground.

Associate
To protect the health and safety of your wife you can't endanger everyone else and create a fire hazard. The guy moving the chair around was being completely unreasonable and handled it incorrectly. However, you have acted like an entitled person yourself. In your own family and circle of friends you can be as entitled as you want but when dealing with others, it becomes every man for himself. Call me cynical but society has changed, everyone seems to be raised to look after number one and wants to sue and coz of that there are now absurd legal risk management considerations in life. We just have to deal with it. Save up, buy a ground floor space or you own house. An even better plan: plan everything in life including having your next child strategically, i.e. Make sure you buy an appropriate place where you can actually be considerate to your wife without creating hazards or upsetting neighbours. Make sure it's near a good school, safe garden to play in, etc etc. You have to plan strategically. I mean all this in the nicest way possible.

Not saying this necessarily applies to you but people don't seem to plan much at all nowadays.they buy things on credit cards knowing they can't afford to pay it, get themselves in to debt, have kids when they only got £500 in the bank and cry when they can't pay electric. They cry when bosses won't give them time of work at short notice.

Why be at the mercy of others when we can plan to be at the mercy of ourselves? This could be another thread topic haha

Last edited:
Associate
If it annoyed him and he didn't know who owned it, this bloke should have just left a note in it politely reminding you to be considerate of other residents (perhaps pointing out any tenancy regulations that prohibit it).

My brother in law used to live in an upstairs flat and they had some sort of 'cupboard under the stairs' where prams and the like were kept.

Same with a mates flat, lives upstairs and has a sort of space for the residents pram/other similar stuff.

Guy should have just left a note though, would have probably prevented the whole thing going any further.

Back
Top Bottom