Cord Blood

Man of Honour
So I came across this which shows that Google makes a lot of money from Cord Blood. http://www.wordstream.com/articles/most-expensive-keywords

I had no idea what that was, so a wiki page and a search later I ended up on the NHS Blood and Transplant Service page about it: http://www.nhsbt.nhs.uk/cordblood/

Have any recent parents done this? Did any recent parents simply not know this was an option?

Cord blood can be used to treat the following diseases:

Malignancies - a cancer of the blood, e.g. Leukaemia, lymphoma
Bone marrow failure - when bone marrow doesn't produce the cells it should
Haemoglobinopathies - a blood disorder e.g. Sickle cell anaemia, thalassaemia
Immunodeficiencies - when the immune system doesn't work properly
Metabolic disorders - which affect the breakdown of waste products in the body.

To me, this sounds like something that more people should know about.

Don
I didn't realise that donation was an option, however general medical advise is that the baby should be left attached to the umbilical cord after birth to make sure that they get this blood, I've no idea if anything is left over afterwards though.

Soldato
I knew about this, and kept meaning to look into it as our second is due imminently. Shame they don't do the donations at our hospital, but thanks for the reminder Burnsy. I'll be donating blood again as soon as I am able :)

Soldato
There are also methods of saving your childs own stem cells for their own future use.
Extraction of certain teeth can be sampled and harvested and dtored, so your child can gave further access to their own stem cells.
Can be expensive, but who knows the potential uses your own child might need the for in future.

Soldato
My other half is in the last part of her Midwifery course and they all know a ton about this. Have a chat with the Midwife, they should be able to give you plenty of advice :)

Associate
We tried to donate our littles ones cord blood at her birth last year but we were horrified to be told that the two people employed to do it from our area were both off sick so it couldn't be done!! They did tell us they would store it for a fee of £1000 though :-/

Soldato
Anyone wondering why this is the 20th most expensive keyword in the world, though? Who on earth is paying to advertise for that keyword, and what are they selling?! Looks like it's companies who offer to store your own babies cord blood for use in the future... :confused:. But still well weird.

Back
Top Bottom