Best Anti-Virus for Gaming with Windows 8.1?

Associate
Hello everybody. Been searching around for a bit and can't find any details on this. Some anti virus I've been told won't work on 8.1.
I was going to go with Bitdefender Plus but only because I saw it rated the best on a website.

So any suggestions?

Is the built in windows firewall good enough? I only download Steam/uPlay/Blizzard games and don't mess around on dodgy sites.

Soldato
I've gone through several, and think I'm going to settle with Bitdefender. It's unobtrusive and generally don't even realise it's there because it just keeps to itself unless something urgent happens (which I've yet to experience).

Not tried Bitdefender myself, but I use Avast. The MS one may be ok, but it does frequently score pretty low on the detection tests, so I'd recommend going for a higher scoring one. Also install Malwarebytes alongside whichever antivirus you pick.

Soldato
Bitdefender Free AV and Windows Firewall.

All of the other Firewalls I have tried have lead to problems when gaming. Comodo and Zone Alarm being the most recent two.

Associate
Some info about Avira:

I was using avira a while back and playing street fighter 4. When the program was enabled I was missing my 1-frame links.

The additional overhead processing makes you a worse player.. there is no disable option either. Pity cos its a good program.

Soldato
I've tried lots as well but I've settled with Bit Defender, install it and you won't ever see again until you've got a problem.

I also liked Avira but the constant popups were an annoyance.

Associate
Again Windows Defender plus Common Sense.

In fact Windows Defender even gets in the way I find. It likes flagging lets say... Patches as naughty files, but most AV's do that anyway.

The best anti-virus you can find is yourself.

Associate
I've used NOD32 for years. I find Microsoft Security Essentials does not work very well if you carelessly open dodgy files.

Soldato
I used Bitdefender in the past although found it a bit chatty, it would moan about cookies all the time. Running Kaspersky based on some recommendations from a security professional friend and it seems to do the job nicely although hopefully it will never actually have to "do" anything :) Too much important stuff on my PC these days though to trust to luck

Soldato
Windows Defender plus common sense also. You can have best anti-virus in the world but if you are silly enough to open dodgy files or surf naughty websites then you might aswell not bother with an anti-virus as you are allowing viruses in yourself.

Don
Meh,

I've never found a virus on my own machine.

Updating Windows and 3rd party software along with regular backups are far more important than AV. Something that most people overlook or never do.

Having all your data stored on an external hard drive only does not make it your 'backup drive'

If you have a file that you want scanning. Just upload it to www.virustotal.com

Back
Top Bottom