Need a little Help (first dslr) sorry

Associate
First i would like to say sorry, as im sure this gets asked a lot.

I'm looking at getting my first dslr, i dont really know what i'm looking at if i'm being honest.

Been looking at nikon as that is what a friend suggested, My budget is around £500 - £550.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Aaron

Soldato
i just got the Nikon d3200 with kit lens then bought the nikkor 50mm 1.8G lens both could be had for that buget and by all means a great camera, also a handy GUIDE mode to help you through how to create different effects etc

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice guys, i will go out this weekend and have a look and feel of a few you have mentioed.

I am looking to photograph anything in my daily lift that catches my eye, Also maybe a few concerts, few shots when i go skiing and some mountain biking action and scenery ones with friends.

Hope this may help a little more.

Thanks

Aaron

Edit. Also a friend is looking at maybe getting the same camera, so we could always share lenses when we need better/new ones.

Soldato
You can get a new Nikon D5200 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm VR Lens Kit (black) for £475 (That's with the £50 cash back already off, you pay £525) from Amazon (just make sure you actually buy from Amazon and not 3rd Party as you wont get the cash back offer). That's where I started to look and ended up getting a 7100 from London Camera Exchange (Shop in Nottingham).

For used stuff I looked extensively on mpbphotographic as they had good stock, a good item condition description and they seem almost faultless when you read the online shop reviews.

Regardless of where you buy from and what you buy you should go and hold it in your hand and make sure you actually like its feel.

Ken

Ken

Associate
Just to add to the above D5200 suggestion, one of the reasons I went from the D3200 to the D5200 is the flip out LCD which has proved useful on many occasions whether it be adjusting settings whilst the camera is set down low on a tripod and you don't want to alter the composition or if you are filming/shooting above crowds as you probably will at your concerts. :)

Associate
OP
Hey guys just been to have a look at a few and really like the D7000 amd the D5200. THE D7000 for the feel and size, just delt a much more full hand grip if that maked sence. The D5200 for the rotating screen.

Is the D7000 worth the £100 more for someone that is just getting into it?

Thanks

Aaron

Soldato
Hey guys just been to have a look at a few and really like the D7000 amd the D5200. THE D7000 for the feel and size, just delt a much more full hand grip if that maked sence. The D5200 for the rotating screen.

Is the D7000 worth the £100 more for someone that is just getting into it?

Thanks

Aaron

Thats very hard to say and very dependent on your particular needs. The D5200 has a lot of user friendly modes that can help with getting you going but some of the features of the D7000 over the D5200 are:

- Micro AF adjust : This can help with front or back focusing on lenses. Normally only visible at very wide apertures. 2 of my older AF-D lenses back focused badly on my old D90.

- 1/8000th Shutter : If using primes in bright sunlight this helps massively

- Weather Sealing : No need to worry about a bit of rain! You also need weather sealed lenses though!

- Ergonomics - Dual dials, more direct access customisable buttons and top LCD. I can't emphasize how important this bit is to me perosnally!

- Wireless flash commander : Very very useful if you use off camera flash

- Higher Flash Speed - The flash can be use at a higher shutter speed than what the D5200 flash is capable of.

- Built in AF motor : Maintains auto focus in older AF & AF-D lenses

- Dual SD Slots : Very useful and very customisable.

The D5200 has a higher resolution sensor which is great for cropping and it also has the same AF system as well.

The flip LCD is the thing I'd like the most from the D5200, if Nikon ever made a D7200 with a vari-angle screen I'd be all over it.

Soldato
D7000 everytime.
Just having separate controllers for Aperture and shutter is worth it for me

I used a mates d?? something and it didn't have separate controls and I got so frustrated

Associate
OP
Hey guys sorry to bring this up again, iv had a look at the D7000 abd the D5200 but now im also looking at canon. What you you guys suggest at the price range of £500 to £600?

Thanks

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom