Booking a flight using old PP

Soldato
Hi,

I am wanting to book a flight, problem is my old passport is under 6 months of when I'm wanting to fly out and due to this, I have to renew my passport.

I am booking online and the airline company want my passport number.

Am I ok to book using my old passport, and then taking that, alongside with my new(renewed) one when I'm due to fly out?

Or, should I wait till my new(renewed) passport is delivered to me, and then book the flight using that?

Thanks.

Caporegime
Where are you flying?

The 6 month rule isn't relevant in many/most places across the globe now. All that matters is your passport doesn't run out before you leave the country. You may not need to renew your passport until after you get back.

Soldato
OP
Where are you flying?

The 6 month rule isn't relevant in many/most places across the globe now. All that matters is your passport doesn't run out before you leave the country. You may not need to renew your passport until after you get back.

Out of the EU/ Pakistan.

Man of Honour
Hi,

I am wanting to book a flight, problem is my old passport is under 6 months of when I'm wanting to fly out and due to this, I have to renew my passport.

I am booking online and the airline company want my passport number.

Am I ok to book using my old passport, and then taking that, alongside with my new(renewed) one when I'm due to fly out?

Or, should I wait till my new(renewed) passport is delivered to me, and then book the flight using that?

Thanks.

It'd be worth asking the airline, but generally you can update the details at a later point, they don't usually *need* the passport info till a few days before you fly.

Soldato
OP
From what I've read online it's ok to book using the old passport, and then taking it along side. Although, I'm still unsure, and can't get through to the airline *typical*.

Man of Honour
You don't need a passport number just to book a flight whatever some booking agencies might say. Just make sure when Advanced Passenger Information is filed with the airline its the correct passport. I never normally enter it until a few days before anyway, but then I usually book direct with the airline.

Soldato
OP
Well, PIA want the passport number online. It won't let me continue with the booking unless I put it in as it's needed. If I renew my passport it will take 3 weeks to get it back. The flights a good price at the moment so I don't want to wait, but then again, I don't know if I can use the old passport and just take it alongside with the new one.

One

One

Soldato
Going to Pakistan with an out of date passport? Are you plotting something? Passport numbers are different when renewed, damaged, lost or stolen.

Last edited:
Associate
Different airlines have different policy's concerning passport number before booking / after. Ring the airline to check what they say. Safest bet.

As for the 6 month thing, not too sure about Pakistan and what they require to enter but a quick check the URL below says minimum 6 months. So go get it done ASAP, ring the airline and check if you will be able to change traveller info after booking / how much it will cost to do so.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/pakistan/entry-requirements

P.s. Why Pakistan?

Soldato
OP
Different airlines have different policy's concerning passport number before booking / after. Ring the airline to check what they say. Safest bet.

As for the 6 month thing, not too sure about Pakistan and what they require to enter but a quick check the URL below says minimum 6 months. So go get it done ASAP, ring the airline and check if you will be able to change traveller info after booking / how much it will cost to do so.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/pakistan/entry-requirements

P.s. Why Pakistan?

I will ask once I can get through to them!

Just visiting relatives for a few weeks.

Soldato
Well, PIA want the passport number online. It won't let me continue with the booking unless I put it in as it's needed. If I renew my passport it will take 3 weeks to get it back. The flights a good price at the moment so I don't want to wait, but then again, I don't know if I can use the old passport and just take it alongside with the new one.

I doubt it'll take 3 weeks, mine took 4 days when I renewed it last month.

Associate
Plug in your details here and it will tell you: http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/ The database which the website taps into, called TIMATIC, is what the airlines also use to check your eligibility to travel.

National United Kingdom (GB)
Embarkation United Kingdom (GB)/Destination Pakistan (PK)

Passport required.
- Passports and/or passport replacing documents must be valid
on arrival.

Admission and Transit Restrictions:
- Admission refused to holders of emergency and temporary
passports.

Visa required, except for Holders of a Pakistan Origin Card
(POC) or a National Identity Card for Overseas Pakistanis
(NICOP), regardless of nationality, for an unlimited period of
stay.
Visa Issuance:
- Nationals of United Kingdom traveling on business, can
obtain a pre-arranged visa on arrival for a max. stay of 30
days, provided: For details, click here
- Passengers of Pakistani origin can obtain a temporary
landing permit for 72 hours, provided:
For details, click here
Additional Information:
- Extention of stay if possible; to be applied for at the
Ministry of Interior.
Warning:
- Visitors not holding return/onward ticket could be refused
entry.
- Exempt are holders of a Pakistan Origin Card (POC), holders
of a National Identity Card for Overseas Pakistanis
(NICOP), holders of passports containing a "Visa exempt"
stamp issued by Pakistan and passengers having dual
nationality and using Pakistan passport.

In short, it just needs to be valid on arrival and does not need a minimum of 6 months remaining in the same way that you need for e.g. Thailand/Malaysia/Singapore. Of course, in terms of common sense you would want at least one or two months left on it, but strictly speaking it doesn't even need that.

And on a general point, I'm not yet aware of any circumstances where an airline cares that your passport details have changed since providing them at booking. They will just enter the new information at check-in.

Back
Top Bottom