Airline Reward Schemes

Soldato
[TW]Fox;25516918 said:
It was not bad for free but if thats what airport lounges are typically like I wouldnt pay to enter or put any effort into earning entry.

Airline-operated ones are usually (but not always!) better. No 1 lounge at Gatwick is actually fairly good for a third-party one though.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;25516918 said:
I have one of these, we used the Plaza Premium lounge at Vancouver International and to be honest I was very underwhelmed. I'm not quite sure what I was expecting but it was just a slightly nicer seating area with free drinks. I guess it doesnt help that Vancouver International is a very, very nice airport so the regular waiting areas are quite nice.

It was not bad for free but if thats what airport lounges are typically like I wouldnt pay to enter or put any effort into earning entry.

Agreed.

The only one that I have been truly impressed with is the Concorde Room @ T5.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;25516918 said:
I have one of these, we used the Plaza Premium lounge at Vancouver International and to be honest I was very underwhelmed. I'm not quite sure what I was expecting but it was just a slightly nicer seating area with free drinks. I guess it doesnt help that Vancouver International is a very, very nice airport so the regular waiting areas are quite nice.

I find it very hit and miss with lounges. The T5 1st lounge though is awesome. You get a menu you can order from and free pour champagne. Shame I can only go when I'm traveling with work folk on Gold :(

Not been in the concord room though. Seems nice!

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;25516918 said:

Where they come into their own is much like with Train travel, its when the standard areas are very busy. In isolation in an already nice airport with free space anyway I can see why it wouldn't look like much of an upgrade.

Soldato
I find it very hit and miss with lounges. The T5 1st lounge though is awesome. You get a menu you can order from and free pour champagne. Shame I can only go when I'm traveling with work folk on Gold :(

Not been in the concord room though. Seems nice!

They must be doing mega miles for Gold...I don't know how people can do it!

Edit* Or of course, they are senior positions and earning loads of TP by flying Business / Club Europe or First

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
They must be doing mega miles for Gold...I don't know how people can do it!

Edit* Or of course, they are senior positions and earning loads of TP by flying Business / Club Europe or First

Club World (which a lot of people who work for American companies will fly regularly, for example) earns sufficient tier points that you only need to go a handful of times to reach the 1500 needed for gold.

Soldato
I'll have them if you aren't going to use them :D:D:D

Me and Mrs S collect the Virgin ones so that we can upgrade to Upper Class when we go on our jollies to Dubai

As someone else said above Virgin are very hard when it comes to using them.

Wanna upgrade? Great! Oh no you booked the low class ticket. Why not booked a higher class ticket (hundreds more!!) and then yo can use your points to upgrade! errr no thanks!

PAz

PAz

Soldato
BA Silver here....was very close to gold this year but not interested in self funding things like tier point runs. If work will get me there, that's fine.

I use the miles mostly for trips to Poland; we go several times a year and the fact that there is often good availability, I can check 2 bags and get the flight for £30 a person (LHR <> WAW). This year I did manage to upgrade me and the Mrs to CW when coming back from SFO.

Lounges are OK. I usually try to only fly out of LHR T5. T5 first is very nice. North/South galleries are OK, free wifi, drinks/snacks...no complaints.

Caporegime
One more Moscow flight for Gold. Been 5 times since September due to a new role, which has racked them up. Company policy is flights over 4 hours are business too.

Anyway had experience of how availability changes for reward flights when moving from silver to gold ?

Just a shame I can't use my Ba Amex instead of corporate card for expenses. I would have a ridiculous amount of airmiles then. I'm a point collecting nerd :(

Associate
Two things change when you go Silver to Gold:

1. You can get any flight that is sold out in X class (reward bucket in Y) but still available in V class - your BA website availability screen will show this additional inventory automatically.

2. On any flight where it is showing at least 1 seat available for sale in Y (i.e. Y1 B0 H0 still counts), if there are >30 days until date of departure, you can call up and redeem a Y redemption at 2x the Avios cost. Very useful when the only alternative is paying £500 for a European flight.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I'm a Star Alliance fanboy and try to fly with member airlines as often as possible. Have Star Alliance Silver now with Lufthansa. Miles and More Amex and Mastercard are fantastic, but it's a shame you don't get status miles with them :p

[TW]Fox;25516918 said:

Aren't the airline lounges usually better than these random ones? What is Plaza anyway, a chain of airport lounges or something? As you said, YVR is one of the best airports in the world. You don't really need a lounge..

FWIW, the Air Canada Maple Leaf lounge at Vancouver was very nice. Lots of fresh, healthy food and booze. The Toronto one even had Guinness on tap!

Associate
I would suggest looking at Aegean for Star Alliance Gold status, since you need only 19k miles in a year to achieve it and seemingly lasts forever (!)

Star Gold is infinitely more useful than Star Silver, the latter offering very little meaningful benefits on other alliance members...

Plaza Premium is indeed a chain of lounges. Their flagships in HKG etc are very impressive; the ones further afar much less so. The one at HKG would put many airline's own lounges to shame.

Man of Honour
BA silver although should prob hit gold this year as doing quite a lot of Asia. Went past silver in first 3 months of year. Having silver is handy for queue jumping and lounge access but I find one of my colleague's obsession with 'status' very tedious.

I just cashed in a load of miles to take my family to Dubai and get most of my snowboarding flights on miles.

Soldato
I'd be interested in that also :p

As for the 47k, try and see where you can fly for the miles on their site. They had some discounted flights out recently, which would come out at like 9k points and 30EUR on top for me Basel to Portugal. You can test flights online though to see how many points it takes.

I'm bronze :/ although after my feb/march flights it hits silver. I'm supposed to be flying out a fair bit this year but reckon the mrs being up the stick will put a blocker on that...

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I would suggest looking at Aegean for Star Alliance Gold status, since you need only 19k miles in a year to achieve it and seemingly lasts forever (!)

Star Gold is infinitely more useful than Star Silver, the latter offering very little meaningful benefits on other alliance members...
Totally agree, Silver is next to useless. But you do get to skip the queues at check-in.

I don't fly anywhere near enough to get the Star Alliance Gold but that Aegean Gold does seem rather easy to obtain!

Back
Top Bottom