Bulbs

Associate
Hi all,

I am looking to get some new bulbs for the car as they are currently **** at night. It is a 207 and I want new dipped (H7's) and full beam (H1's) bulbs. I have slimmed it down to two different makes, and would like opinions on them. I want a nice white light, around 5000k? It is between the Osram Night Breaker Unlimited's or the Philips X-Treme Vision bulbs.

http://www.powerbulbs.com/blog/2013/11/osram-night-breaker-unlimited-vs-philips-xtreme-vision

Anyone have any insight with these?

Last edited:
Soldato
Had both. Both as good as each other, although the Nightbreakers had a reputation for blowing regularly (mine did several times over a couple of years). For that reason alone I'd choose the Philips if buying again, but both brands provide excellent white light output.

Soldato
Having had HID's before then I would say not many bulbs give off an ice white light of a decent output so don't expect them to look uber cool, but if you just want to see a long way then the above are good as are Ring 120's. Also personally had good results with Halfords Extreme Brilliance.

Associate
If you want bright from my experience the Nightbreakers are really great, I had them in my old Yaris and they really were very bright - although not particularly white, but didn't look chavvy! I had them in the car for 3+ years with plenty of night driving and never had to replace them so maybe its car dependant.

If you are after as close to HID without either ending up with blue bulbs or a HID kit I would highly recommend the Phillips Crystal Vision bulbs, I have them in the Smart and although not massively brighter than standard, behind projectors rather than reflectors they look as close to HIDs as I could ever find. That said in 18months I'm already on my second set :(

Don
We've had nightbreakers in both cars for around 2 years (6 bukbs in total), not had any problems.

If buy then again. Make sure you don't handle the bulbs with your hands. I've read the oils in your hand can create hot spots on the bulbs and make them blow prematurely.

Hmm. That sounds sexual

Associate
OP
Thanks for the responses guys. I think I will go with the Philips ones, purely because of the longevity people have talked about. Also, thanks bledd, I will get some latex gloves. I don't mind spending £15 or so for the bulbs as I like to be able to see :p

Soldato
I have had piaa extreme white plus bulbs, they are close to white and are rated to around 4000k so id say that was accurate.

they still worked after 4 years but had started to yellow slightly.

I now have osram night breaker unlimited, cant comment on longevity as they have been in for a month but the light output is incredible! on h4 at least. Dipped is a yellowish light, not too bad but around 3-3500k but full beam is about 5000k as my sidelights are 5000k led bulbs and they match perfectly at full beam.

Soldato
Anyone got any reviews on the Ring 120 Xenon Ultima bulbs? Going to pop some in my van for better light output and also hoping for slightly whiter. My vans lights are terribly yellow!

Soldato
I have the Ring ones, they are very good, better than Nightbreakers. Never had the Phillips ones so can't comment there really

1Ring120.jpg

Back
Top Bottom