Hiking, backpacking, trekking, mountaineering...

Associate
I don't really feel the cold, camped a bit through February last year on just my self inflating mat and a £20 sleeping bag. Barely felt it.

Spent a bit of time on the rim of the grand canyon in a knackered old tent and just a foam roll mat a few winters ago in -5c, bloody toasty that was...

Thanks for the suggestions though, I'll definitely look into them, turns out the campsite I was hoping on staying at isn't open until march though. Might just have to settle with trying to beat my time on a few of the Yorkshire peaks. Great little campsite in Horton Riblesdale

Soldato

how do i print screen

This was taken yesterday on the Pennine Way on our way back from Kinder Downfall. The Met Office got it wrong with the weather (surprise surprise), instead of being cold, clear and sunny it was freezing, snowy and windy. Alas, my dad and I had a great time despite me pushing him a bit far! (he's 63 so was tough for him!)

We completed the 7.5 mile Hayfield loop via Kinder reservoir, Kinder Downfall, Kinder Low and back to Hayfield. Both of us had a cracking time.

Soldato
Anyone got any thoughts on 3 season, 2 man tents?

Minimum 220cm long and 100cm high, outer first/multi-pitch, relatively generous porch, sub-3kg, max £400.

Lightwave T20 Trail XT is currently top of the list. Tiso have the Hilleberg Anjan 2 GT reduced to sub-£400 but the fly only comes to 5" off the ground and although the tub is quite high I'm dubious about what might happen in proper sideways rain.

Man of Honour
Is there a docent resolution map of wild camping areas in dartmoot, downloaded the PDF, with everything including the map, but such rubbish quality can't make out most of the place names etc.

Soldato
Didn't realise we had a an outdoorsy post :D

Got back from the Himalaya in November, this time round we did Mera Peak.

Here's a Panorama from the top!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAAAAD8s/DLL6U4Dy00Y/w1592-h448-no/Mera+423

Toughest and coldest trip yet for me. Everything froze inside our tents on a daily basis. Toothpaste, water bottles, pee bottles, soap. You name it. Amazing trip though and a lifetime of memories from it. Would totally recommend it :)

Associate
This was taken yesterday on the Pennine Way on our way back from Kinder Downfall. The Met Office got it wrong with the weather (surprise surprise), instead of being cold, clear and sunny it was freezing, snowy and windy. Alas, my dad and I had a great time despite me pushing him a bit far! (he's 63 so was tough for him!)

We completed the 7.5 mile Hayfield loop via Kinder reservoir, Kinder Downfall, Kinder Low and back to Hayfield. Both of us had a cracking time.

Nice one.. Love the Pennines, Just going through all my gear so I can keep a pack in the car and just get some walking in a couple of times a week. Was looking at Jacobs ladder as a day out sometime as well..

Associate
Didn't realise we had a an outdoorsy post :D

Got back from the Himalaya in November, this time round we did Mera Peak.

Here's a Panorama from the top!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAAAAD8s/DLL6U4Dy00Y/w1592-h448-no/Mera+423

Toughest and coldest trip yet for me. Everything froze inside our tents on a daily basis. Toothpaste, water bottles, pee bottles, soap. You name it. Amazing trip though and a lifetime of memories from it. Would totally recommend it :)

Great photo, would love to do something like this. You got any more pics from the trip?

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Nice one.. Love the Pennines, Just going through all my gear so I can keep a pack in the car and just get some walking in a couple of times a week. Was looking at Jacobs ladder as a day out sometime as well..

Fantastic! I wish I lived close enough to be able to do that, though, I have just bought an OS map of my local area with a fair few walks that I can complete near home! Sadly, no big hills to conquer!

Was contemplating taking my Dad up Jacobs Ladder, however, I thought it'd be best to complete the Kinder Loop route (that actually turned out to be 9 miles!). In hindsight, its probably the same difficulty!

Enjoy!

Soldato
Awesome pics thanks, Runway 24 looks a bit scary lol

It's the runway at Lukla, which according to most is the worlds most dangerous airport. I have flown into and out of there twice with no issues so far, touch wood. However, there are been accidents while I have been there and close to my arrival. A few weeks before my first trip a plane went down and killed all 18 on board. While I was there a plane overshot the runway and went Into the wall at the end. It was still there, all banged up while we were waiting for our flight out. Needless to say, it's not for the feint of heart. It's an amazing adventure in and of itself however!

Soldato
Had two great mondays this week and last out on the skis.

Last Monday was great with blue skies and very light wind. Snow conditions were somewhat icy, but still perfectly skiiable. Skied along the northern corries then down Lurchers Gully.

af8o5y.jpg

jj8u2e.jpg

jkyfys.jpg

Today I had a quick ski up and down Cairgorm itself. Snowline has receded quite a bit, but further up fresh snow has fallen making some quite nice conditions underfoot. The summit was frozen solid though!

2ptpdht.jpg

2njf2fc.jpg

:)

Caporegime
Did a great ski up Maiden Peak, oregon. This has been a terrible snowless winter but there was just enlighten to make a for a reasonable ski above 6000ft. Beautiful ski down old growth Douglas fir.

5000ft and 12 miles in a little over 4 hours. Kept thinking I was skinning slow, the snow seemed stick to my skins and my legs felt heavy, but I made good time. Probably th last tour of the year before I move to the east coast.

Back
Top Bottom