Cheap 4k monitors

Soldato
What nonsense, my cards have less memory bandwidth than a 780/ti but cope with 7680x1440 with no problems, the reason weve seen poor results at 4k is simply because we keep seeing reviews that insist on only using 2 cards, or unneccesary levels of AA

Nope, it's not nonsense at all. Also unnecessary levels of AA will be an issue on memory bandwidth.

Also "copes with 7680x1440 with no problems" is extreme vague, you haven't given any context.

I also get the same fps on 1 screen 1 card as I get on 3 cards 3 screens, so it seems pretty linear to me

It's definitely not linear. You've probably not monitored your FPS properly, or you haven't tested 1 card on 3 screens.

In some situations it may be linear, but the point is is that it's not straight pixel count that is the most influential part of the FPS your PC will manage.

2560x1440 is about 65% more than 1080p, not double

Nope, it's about 80% more.

Last edited:
Soldato
Seiki Digital SE39UY04 39-Inch 4K Ultra HD 120Hz LED TV

yes its not a proper monitor more a hdtv
but i know for a fact these do 60hz 4k ;) when forced ;) $400 not bad.... all thats required is the proper cable and the firmware flashed from the higher end 50" model...

Soldato
Seiki Digital SE39UY04 39-Inch 4K Ultra HD 120Hz LED TV

yes its not a proper monitor more a hdtv
but i know for a fact these do 60hz 4k ;) when forced ;) $400 not bad.... all thats required is the proper cable and the firmware flashed from the higher end 50" model...

Wat. I DEMAND more information.

Soldato
Nope, it's about 80% more.

alright, my quick calculation earlier was off, it's 77%, so you've still rounded up and it still isn't close to double, which is why you don't need exactly double the power, although when I went from 1080p/single 670 to 1440p/670SLI I did get about 20% extra fps at the same settings, in the benches and couple of games that I ran (e.g. I didn't need to monitor my FPS because the bench results displayed them for me), so again, that is pretty linear

same with my current setup - 3 screens and 1 card wouldn't tell you anything in that regards as it would just run like crap, which is exactly my point regarding the 4K results not using enough cards

Last edited:
Soldato
alright, my quick calculation earlier was off, it's 77%, so you've still rounded up and it still isn't close to double, which is why you don't need exactly double the power, although when I went from 1080p/single 670 to 1440p/670SLI I did get about 20% extra fps at the same settings, in the benches and couple of games that I ran (e.g. I didn't need to monitor my FPS because the bench results displayed them for me), so again, that is pretty linear

same with my current setup - 3 screens and 1 card wouldn't tell you anything in that regards as it would just run like crap, which is exactly my point regarding the 4K results not using enough cards

670s aren't really a good example as they are chocked by their low memory bandwidth, so it's no surprise that you're seeing a linear drop off.

Soldato
670s aren't really a good example as they are chocked by their low memory bandwidth, so it's no surprise that you're seeing a linear drop off.

I now have three Titans :p

don't take my word for it;
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2013/05/23/geforce-gtx-780-review/5

going from 1080p to 5760x1080 goes from 64 to 25 on a single card

and here 66 to 28
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2013/10/24/amd-radeon-r9-290x-4gb-review/8

not 100% linear but within single digits of FPS from being so (e.g. within statistical variance) with the minimums being closer still which is probably more accurate and more relevant

Last edited:
Soldato
is this true?

I'm not sure that it is, neither the 50inch nor the 39inch have any PORTS capable of 60hz @ 4K
changing the cable and the firmware won't change anything

the one thing I can find that people have managed is getting 120hz @ 1080p
but nothing about 60hz @ 4k

would be very interested to see a link to if someone has gotten 4k@60

Associate
the Resolution guide confirms its a max of 3840 x 2160 at 30Hz over both DP and HDMI. As does the user guide.

The spec confirms it's TN Film as i suspected too :)

Yeah was all as we suspected :( Lets hope the Lenova and Asus versions of the panel deliver more.

Although as a high res workstation the monitor certainly has a place and anything that pushes capabilities and price if obviously good for all in the end.

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure that it is, neither the 50inch nor the 39inch have any PORTS capable of 60hz @ 4K
changing the cable and the firmware won't change anything

the one thing I can find that people have managed is getting 120hz @ 1080p
but nothing about 60hz @ 4k

would be very interested to see a link to if someone has gotten 4k@60

We might see a firmware update become available, December 2013 last year Sony released a firmware update for their 4k TV's to HDMI 2.0 from HDMI 1.4, the newer HDMI 2.0 standard which supports 4k@60Hz, it was approved earlier in the year, around September 2013.

http://www.ultrahdtv.net/sony-releases-hdmi-2-0-firmware-update/

Last edited:
Soldato
We might see a firmware update become available, December 2013 last year Sony released a firmware update for their 4k TV's to HDMI 2.0 from HDMI 1.4, the newer HDMI 2.0 standard which supports 4k@60Hz, it was approved earlier in the year, around September 2013.

http://www.ultrahdtv.net/sony-releases-hdmi-2-0-firmware-update/

sony are part of the group that create the hdmi standards - they would have had advance notice to be able to create a controller that was hardware ready for hdmi 2.0

Every other device that has mentioned an upgrade has been hardware only, not firmware, particularly as you are comparing $5000 TVs to a $500 one

Soldato
OP
sony are part of the group that create the hdmi standards - they would have had advance notice to be able to create a controller that was hardware ready for hdmi 2.0

Every other device that has mentioned an upgrade has been hardware only, not firmware, particularly as you are comparing $5000 TVs to a $500 one

It's only a new chipset, so we might be lucky, a lot of Seiki tv's are HDMI 2.0 ready, & only need a firmware update.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...w-line-of-4k-upscaling-hdmi-products-16326651

Also a lot of peeps are running 120hz @ 1080p without issues, quite bit on various forums.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1473728/official-seiki-se50uy04-50-inch-4k-uhd-owners-thread

Last edited:
Soldato
the article you linked to says it only applies to the Pro range which are not even released yet and costing 4-5x as much, hardly surprising that future TV's should support HDMI 2.0, I very much doubt it will be retroactive

120hz at 1080p is part of the HDMI1.4 standard (and even then it requires all sorts of hacks to actually get it working on the seiki which a lot of people are saying they can't even replicate using the same steps)

in any case, Virus2k said that these were already out there running at 60hz@4k, we asked for the link, none provided

I would be all over this seiki screen if it could do 4k@60hz, but sadly I very much doubt it would be possible

Last edited:
Soldato
the article you linked to says it only applies to the Pro range which are not even released yet and costing 4-5x as much, hardly surprising that future TV's should support HDMI 2.0, I very much doubt it will be retroactive

120hz at 1080p is part of the HDMI1.4 standard (and even then it requires all sorts of hacks to actually get it working on the seiki which a lot of people are saying they can't even replicate using the same steps)

in any case, Virus2k said that these were already out there running at 60hz@4k, we asked for the link, none provided

I would be all over this seiki screen if it could do 4k@60hz, but sadly I very much doubt it would be possible

Mate you must be blind.
i posted about that info away up the top... #66

Back
Top Bottom