Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
I have a N36L Microserver that's a few years old now with 4GB ram, Its happily been running Server 2008 with 3 x 2TB drives in Raid 0 and 1 SSD Boot drive serving as a file server.

I have 3 more 2TB drives to install, I can get them all in and with the addition of a cheap sata card get them all showing up in Windows fine.

I am wanting to know what OS route you think would be best for me, I basically only use the server for windows file share storage, all my other PC's access the media on the microserver and also backup to it.

Would I be best going down the pure NAS route or upgrading to Server 2012? If NAS which option? I currently backup the 3x2TB array to a 3TB USB Caddy which is almost at capacity, I don't fancy Vitualising as I don't trust all my Media data on a VM and I already have another PC that I use as a ESXI host.

Last edited:
Associate
@matty

The 2 best OS for N36L IMO are windows 2008 and Xpenology (Which is basically the same OS you would find on a Synology NAS with all the packages). If you want a different OS try Xpenology either in a VM with ESXI like I do or bare metal.

If using ESXI you can install other things like untangle or pfsense or you could have both OS's like Windows 2008 and Xpenology. Esxi gives you flexibility to run more off the Microserver. You might as well make use of it to the full IMO.

(Edit sorry noticed you use ESXI already. I would try a VM of it on that machine to look it over. I don't think you will disappointed)

In ESXI you can max out the GB net with 1 disk easily which is more than can be said for the other OS's apart from Windows 2008 I have tried.

http://xpenology.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2

Last edited:
Associate
Just a quick question, do you guys use lights-out for powering on and off the server ?
if not what do you use for power managing the server if its not running 24/7

Associate
@matty

The build has below has a VDMK disk which is what you boot from.

The correct link is here

http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1939

That's the latest ESXI build. Just create a new VM and follow this guide if you are stuck with it.

http://xpenology.com/forum/download/file.php?id=168

Just create as they do in this guide. Don't attach the VMDK img file until after you created the VM. Then upload the vdmk file to the datastore and attach drive. Any additional drives make sure you change the scsi adapter to paravirtual.

If you get stuck ask. This version will give you a 30 odd GB boot drive add an additional drive either VM disk or RDM attached and you can then try it out. Whole install takes about 10 mins this way. Download Synology Assistant though to locate the VM IP and connect.

Link for Synology Assistant
http://www.synology.com/en-uk/support/download/DS1813+

The guide above is an overview there are a lot of different versions out there, but it should help you a little.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks TheBiznes, that gives me a good headstart, I'll have a play with it this week.

A few questions:
1. Did you bother creating RDM files, is performance of a virtual disk really that bad?
2. I'm using a HP G7 ML110 with a Xenon so I might go the VMDirectPath route rather than RDM if it's worth the effort. Is there a list somewhere of Synology supported SATA chipsets?
3. Is CIFS working on this build, browsing through the threads on the xpenology forum it sounds like it isn't?
4. Does surveillance centre work OK?
5. How many CPU cores are actually used, is there any advantage in having more than 1?

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
Just pulled the trigger on one of these, ended up paying 126 with a 3 year warranty and cash back.

Few questions:

I am planning on installing Win 7 or Windows Server 2008 and using it as a bit of a media player so:

Any recommendations for a TV Tuner/Soundcard/Graphics Card for it?
Will I need any extra ram to do the above out of the box, if so any recommendations?
Is the windows route the best route? I also want to use it to backup my Macbook Pro, store files and to upload files to it /stream media from it when I am overseas.

Associate
trying to pick which RAID setup to use...

5 disks (4x 2TB WD Reds, 1x 250GB that comes wth the N54L)

I want reliability but I also want maximum space. The idea of having only 4 TB of storage with another 4 TB sat waiting doesnt seem the most fun.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Any recommendations for a TV Tuner/Soundcard/Graphics Card for it?
Will I need any extra ram to do the above out of the box, if so any recommendations?

I use the Radeon HD6450 PCIe for the graphics, nice passive card that can do 3d too as a bonus it does sound over HDMI so you wont need and additional SC. Ive also dropped a Blackgold BGT3600 TV card in it, that can do dual HD SAT & dual freeview HD too, price but works very well.

Id chuck another 2gb ram at it too, thats should be sound for a backup server and media PC.

Soldato
so i'd end up with 6TB yeah? Wish I could get all 8 TB :( haha

Would I installed WHS to the RAID array? or should I install to the 250 and leave the array for storage and vm's?

If you did want 8TB you could always either:

A. Replace the 250Gb with a 2TB drive in the odd bay and install a more lightweight linux/BSD-based OS onto a USB thumb-drive in the internal slot

Or

B. Get another 2TB drive and mount both it and the 250Gb drive together into the odd bay using one of those double-twin / X-swing type adapters, connecting one to the sata header on the motherboard and the other via an e-sata to sata connector looped out to the back of the chassis

Back
Top Bottom